AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to put in a good word for **********.

I ended up with a defective AE100.

I sent it back to ********** about 2 weeks ago. I was just informed that ********** is replacing the unit and shipping to me tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
"I am not sure I want to know. "

lol - I hear ya.

I'm just very curious if it's a defect that those of us fortunate enough to not have the problem can prevent somehow. Good luck with your "new" projector.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just to let you know, not all of us were quite so lucky. I shipped mine back on the 8th of last month and I am still waiting for it to be repaired.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I asked Kaneda of ********** if he knew why my projector failed. He did not know.

He did mention that the decision to replace rather than repair was made by the "dealer" he purchased the projector from.

Kaneda said that he had purchased 200 AE100's from this dealer and only has had 3 defective units!!!!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Steve,

That's hardly a scientific count. People tend to come looking for blood and polls when stuff doesn't work. I would trust Kaneda's figure over a random poll anyday.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Namlemez, While I would be the first to claim that my poll is far from scientific, I do view it as a good sample of the current failures. There have been at least 4 (Big Hock, mtm900, HB111, Robert99) folks who have posted that thier unit has failed. All of these folks while disapointed have not (so far) posted that they wish they never bought the projector. So while disapointed, I would not characterize them as "looking for blood".

My goal for the poll was to quell the talk of "AE100s are all failing". What I have found so far is that there are a siginificnat number of units that are failing, what I dont know is how this compares to other projectors. To me even a failure rate ot 3 in 200 (1.5%) seems high. But this may just be an acceptable standard for the projector industry. Maybe one of the projector vendors can respond with some data on what they see on other projectors.

Steve

·
Registered
138 Posts
And don't forget Coolmo. Mine failed after 35 hours. Turned it on one day and the lamp would never get very bright and would occasionally go black. There is definately a higher failure rate than normal if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If you go to the Japan website it now says AE-100 Zero dead/stuck pixels I guess this means it will be replaced if it has some.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I contacted ********** tonight to let them know the DHL tracking number for my returned AE100. I ask them under what circumstances the unit would just be replaced instead of repaired. They replied that they are attempting to purchase all of their AE100s from two stores that will replace all defective units no questions asked. So my unit should be replaced as soon as it arrives. I then asked if the new unit would be covered under the no stuck pixel guarantee. They replied that it would be covered. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow thats great news to hear about the dead pixel problem. But look at it like this. I just sent mine back on the 8th because of the red light of death. That cost me 78 dollars from USPS. to have it sent back to me (thank Kaneda a new unit) 142 dollars. Now lets say this one dies I go through that again, or if I have dead pixels... 220 dollars a pop to have it replaced could be a never ending process.

·
Registered
52 Posts
They say on the webpage that the "Zero DEAD(or stuck) Pixel Policy" is only valid within the first 30 days on the arrival of the items.

So if the AE100 stops working after 31 days its the old procedure or not???

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
That red light of death problem is obviously bad and having to pay to ship it both ways does sound pretty bad.

But I'm about to order one myself on Monday and I was thinking this through. Even assuming I have to ship it back (which doesn't sound likely) its still a great deal. Plus, the assured no dead pixels is UNHEARD of here. Maybe in Japan, customer satisfaction is more important. Almost all computer companies / monitor manufacturers here won't replace a monitor with "just a few pixels bad."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.