• decrease a bit

Votes: 62 46.6%
  • decrease significantly

Votes: 16 12.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Superbowl and Daytona 500 mark the end of the TV selling season. The TV selling season usually runs from September through February. The season begins in Sept with the start of the NFL and college football, then the World Series and Stanley Cup and finally the NFL playoffs and the Superbowl. After that, the dealers will start to try and clear out this years models to make room for the new models that were displayed at the CES which just finished up a couple of weeks back. They will start to get next years models in starting around May/June, just in time to build up inventory for the next season starting in Sept.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Historically, late winter/early spring is the not a time when you see big month over month price drops, although you can sometimes find a few deals post-Superbowl. Most companies are content to either scale back factory utilization this time of the year or slightly build inventory. Prices tend to drop more in May and June because of model year change (clear out the old) and manufactures starting to get nervous about increased inventories from the slow spring time sales. This may be more so true now than ever with LCD in the mix since they (panel makers) seem to like to run close to full utilization year round and inventory build ups would be much worse in late spring. Then, with LCD dropping its price, other technologies (plasma, then micro display) follow suit to maintain a price gap.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Been trying to zero in on a good time to buy...probably a Sony SXRD.

Seems there may be lots of post-SuperBowl TV returns. You know, those guys that buy just for their weekend party. Hmmm...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I assumed you were looking at flat panel LCD since that is the forum this is posted to. But given that we are already here, it shouldn't really matter much what technology the TV is. The pricing for each seems to track together with a slight delay. For price drops, LCD usually starts it off, which puts pressure on plasma to drop, which puts pressure on MD to drop.

As far as picking up a customer return TV after the Superbowl to get a good price, many retailers are making it more difficult to buy and return a big TV (read: rent) purchased right before the Superbowl. Some places may have shortened return policies or are more likely to enforce a restocking fee to discourage "Superbowl rentals". Not that you won't find any, it just may not be the big bonanza of surplus open box models causing dumped prices that you would expect.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaberocs /forum/post/0

just letting you guys know if you dont already...at BB, if you buy an HDTV before 2/5, you can get a price adjustment for 60 days. sounds good to me

So if BB drops the price on the same model, you can get the difference back for 60 days? What's their normal deal...30 days?

I wonder what happens if CC or other drops their price w/in 60 days...will BB honor that as well?

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaberocs /forum/post/0

just letting you guys know if you dont already...at BB, if you buy an HDTV before 2/5, you can get a price adjustment for 60 days. sounds good to me

Good info here, jaberocs. This in a way confirms what I have been saying here. BB knows that price downs are much less likely in February and March, so they are offering the double length price guarantee knowing that it doesn't overly expose them. It is definitely a good deal for consumers because the amount of price down on average that you would expect to see in 60 days from the beginning of February is about the same as what you would see in 30 days during June, so it kind of levels the playing field as far as maximizing your chance to get a price adjustment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Super Bowl is one of the peak times of the year for buying a HDTV if you already didn't during the holidays last year. Price drops should be around April or May when manufacturers roll out their new models that were introduced during CES.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone who may be monitoring pricing on set(s) you're interested in, please mention if you notice an adjustment either way before/after superbowl.

Kind of curious for future reference and maybe interesting to others viewing this thread.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaze /forum/post/0

So if BB drops the price on the same model, you can get the difference back for 60 days? What's their normal deal...30 days?

I wonder what happens if CC or other drops their price w/in 60 days...will BB honor that as well?

If it is the exact same model and they see it is cheaper, they are supposed to price match it IIRC.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great, thanks for the link

Some quotes:

"It's simple. No more big sales on flat-panel TVs before Super Bowl," NPD Group's Marshall Cohen tells CNNMoney.com.

"Citing those deep holiday discounts for big-screen HDTVs,...analysts told CNNMoney.com that this year's Super Bowl won't occasion the same kinds of price cuts. Previous years have seen lineman-size reductions in HDTV prices during the two weeks leading up to the big game, but this year outlets such as Circuit City and Best Buy, whose profits were hurt by a blitz of holiday sales, will instead focus on kicker-size price promotions and bundles. If you were a holdout till now, however, you might want to wait until after the big game, when prices are expected to fall to make way for 2007 inventory."

Will be interesting to hear before/after anecdotes from this season. Myself, I'm going to wait 'til afterwards on gut feeling I can save a little cash for use on something else, like HD service or equipment.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welp, sure haven't noticed much in the way of post-SB price reductions so far.

However, I did notice a significant increase on a 67" Samsung model which jumped from a Superbowl sale price of $2499 back up to $2999 immediately afterwards. 20% up

You guys notice anything along these line up or down? Do tell.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have noticed stores have cut back on their 36 months no interest. Some stores such as BB and Sears have no incentives for interest free this past week. Many people do not have 3 grand burning a hole in their pocket and do not wish to put such a purchase on their regular credit card with 10 to 20+% interest rate. I know some stores still have 12 to 18 months, but that is alot of coin to pay back in such a short time.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaze /forum/post/0

Welp, sure haven't noticed much in the way of post-SB price reductions so far.

However, I did notice a significant increase on a 67" Samsung model which jumped from a Superbowl sale price of $2499 back up to $2999 immediately afterwards. 20% up

You guys notice anything along these line up or down? Do tell.

Yep, been following the major retailers and the prices are back up there. Glad I bought mine pre-SB when the prices seemed to have bottomed out for the moment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.