AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on purchasing an HDTV in the $2000 range within 30 days (new house, whee!), and in the course of my research here on this site, I notice a trend. Prices on 48-52" HDTV's are ALL falling in the last month or so. I went to SoundTrack to check out their selection yesterday, and was much more informed thanks to all of you! Of course, all the new toys got me excited as well as the recent price reductions the sales guy offerred me, and I wanted to take some home with me, but upon reflection I wanted to ask a question.

Do you think I should wait to commit to a purchase if I have between now and June 19th to wait to use it?

Are more price cuts on the way?

I will be using this TV for progressive scan DVD (RP56) watching, and satellite movies and content mainly.

Here are the deals he offered FYI:

Mitsubishi WS55809 at $2099 (wasn't too impressed)

Mitsubishi WS55819 at $2199 listed at 2699 on the tag (very nice, open box supposedly but flawless he said - in the warehouse (not display model))

JVC AV48WP30 at $1800 I hate the silver plastic look, but this thing has a great picture...some artifacts at the top of the screen thru super video input. Probably a service issue. Other sources looked fine.

Sony KP51HW40 at $2199 Zoom modes looked cool, other than that, nothing too impressive.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am in the exact same scenario....I was really looking at the Sony, but compared to the SonyXBR-RPTV (and I know its hard to compare in a store), none of the above looked nearly as nice, but that puts us in another price range.

Also, I have read here about DVI and other inputs which these TVs lack (not sure about the JVC), so I am very confused...

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Striider
Mitsubishi WS55819 at $2199 listed at 2699 on the tag (very nice, open box supposedly but flawless he said - in the warehouse (not display model))
FYI: I just returned this set to my local A/V store. I had it for about a month. I was extremely happy with the set. I only returned it because Samsung is releasing a 50" tabletop DLP set in about 1-2 months for MSRP $4500. Since I'm doing massive amounts of gaming on the TV, I'd prefer the burn-in protection that comes with DLP. I don't think this will be an issue for you though. I also have some size constraints that the table top version will help address. There is one "quirk" with the television. When viewing 4:3 source material, there are several options on how to view it. One way is in 4:3 with grey bars on either side of the picture to fill up the screen. Most of my company found the gray bars distracting (as opposed to black). The grayness is not the quirk however: the quirk is that the picture was not always "centered" in the gray bars. Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. It never "moved" while I was watching it. By centered, I mean that sometimes the gray bar on the left would be thicker than the gray bar on the right. The 4:3 picture was always displayed in its full size however, so this no more than a slight annoyance.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Striider

[JVC AV48WP30 at $1800 I hate the silver plastic look, but this thing has a great picture...some artifacts at the top of the screen thru super video input. Probably a service issue. Other sources looked fine.

[/b]
I agree. My wife and I weren't crazy about the plastic look and the light color. She felt that would be too distracting. Finally, it came down to what matters, picture quality.

Panasonic also has surprisingly great picture. If I were you, these are the two I would consider most. Costco or BJs, I forget which, has Panasonic 47" for $1400.

As far as the built it sound is concerned, JVC seems to be the best of all.

Quote:
Sony KP51HW40 at $2199 Zoom modes looked cool, other than that, nothing too impressive. [/b]
Some how, I wasn't to impressed by Sony either.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Keep in mind that many of the price reductions are on models that will be replaced with upcoming new models. However with that in mind the new models are coming in at much lower prices also. Crutchfield.com is offering the new Sony 32"HI-SCan 32HS500 due out around June 5th for $1499.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great points, folks. Keep the suggestions coming please.... I will go look at that Panasonic....less money is good, as it makes it easier to convince her (my better half) to let me spend more on the receiver/speakers I need ;)

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I've had the Panny for 9 months now. Best thing I've ever bought.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MidniteArrow

The grayness is not the quirk however: the quirk is that the picture was not always "centered" in the gray bars. Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. It never "moved" while I was watching it. By centered, I mean that sometimes the gray bar on the left would be thicker than the gray bar on the right. The 4:3 picture was always displayed in its full size however, so this no more than a slight annoyance.
I don't think this is a quirk, but rather a feature of the TV. I recall reading that Mitsubishi or some other brands automatically moves the 4x3 image in very gradual steps to prevent screen burn-in. If the movement is not noticeable other than the relative thickness of the gray bars, then it seems like this "feature" is working exactly as it should.

Glen

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looked at the Panasonic, very impressive. Also, why do they call these "tabletop" TV's? I don't have any tables that big!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Striider-They call them table tops because they dont sit on the floor, they need a stand to rest on. FYI don't go to Soundtrack go to the Big Picture, they are GREAT guys, and they will not only work with you on price, but if you buy a TV, they will cut you a nice deal on speakers, or a reciever, etc. They don't carry Toshiba (they didn't when I bought my RPTV) but they are big time Mits dealers and if you are into DVDs a mits is a fine choice, but they need a good source as the mits line doubler is PISS poor. If you ever want someone to come with you I'm a mean shopper ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool Policy, haha that sounds funny. Never been to The Big Picture, but I am off for the weekend- perhaps I will go window shopping again. Shoot me a PM with your phone number or something, I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing your system sometime. A little over 3 weeks till the big move....

The line doubler/tuner in whatever set I decide on IS relatively important to me, as I will be watching regular TV through it on a very regular basis, and I don't want to drop 500 or more dollars on a redundant piece of equipment (a set top HD tuner), at least for awhile.

I picked up a used Sony receiver and speakers from my buddy, as he decided to go drop 1500 bucks on a pro logic 2 system.

For $500 I got:
Sony STRD560Z 5.1 Pro Logic Receiver
Pioneer CS-M555 front speakers - fair
JBL TLX CENTER 2 - love this thing!
JBL 2500 Rears - also sound nice
JBL TLXPS10 Sub - Wow, what a difference a dedicated sub makes! My favorite part, heh.

I know I will grow outta this sound system soon, but the price was right and its all in perfect condition, so a good starting point at the very least.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.