AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
double drywall/accoustical caulk for an open 700 sq. ft (out of the 1,000 square foot basement): $800 extra over 1 layer of drywall

Mineral wool JUST for the basement ceiling/1st level floor cavity for 1000 square feet basement: $750

Room within a room... laughed at.

Floating ceiling... confused look on face.

Sigh.

·
Registered
268 Posts
700 sq floor area??????

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
exactly... the builder is trying to screw me apparently. And that cost they gave is over and above what fiberglass batting cost and install would be...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Speak with a different builder. Also, don't tell him it's for a home theater. Tell him that it's for a media room, or if you must, tell him it's for a practice room because you play drums.

Have you not investigated doing all this yourself?

Over the course of a year, I finished my whole 1100 sqft basement myself including a dedicated HT and bathroom. I had no prior training.....just read up about it on the web and use some of those HD 'How to' books. I saved many thousands in doing it, and more importantly have the pride and satisfaction of knowing that I did it all myself.

Cheers,

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sorry I dont see it that way. If you are only going 3 inches with wool and that's all Ok, but I think he would still fill the remaining cavity room with fiberglass 6 inches anyway. And if you are talking 10 inches of wool and no fiberglass it would be way more than that. Around 40 extra sheets of drywall installed and caulked for 800 bucks more? Sounds like a bargain to me.....

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Insulation I'm sure you could do. Just hold it up in the cavity and staple the sides in. You'll want a little help for the ceiling. That'll save you around $350. I had a builder friend do my sheetrocking for me because I have 12 foot ceilings and couldn't do it without a lot of help and time. It cost me $2000 plus materials. That was for a 600 sqft room plus 2 crawl space closets 50 feet long and 8 foot wide with an angled ceiling. They wer done in a few days. Plus he primered and painted the room for his cost of the paint and primer.

And definitely don't say "theater". Then they think you have extra cash to spend and the price goes up a little. 700 sqft is a NICE size theater.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by usehername
Sounds like a bargain to me.....
I think it's about right,

For general Estimating purposes:

SQR(700)=26.45*4walls=105.83*8'walls=847SF

1/2" Drywall Installed: 0.68/SF

Tape & Joint: 0.55/SF

Total~1.23 a little high, can get about $1/SF if contractors in competition w/ each other = $847.

6" Batt Insulation (1000SF): 0.85/SF Installed = $850.00

Now, this is for Certified GOOD quality work. If you want someone who is General Handyman not certified, then Yes, you can get it cheaper. This is also for Missouri where things are cheaper.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Add another 700 sq for the ceiling. Then add the acoustic caulk and labor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.