AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you remembered back at CES early this year, Faroudja showing a "Prima" 34" HD-Ready 16:9 TV featuring built-in FLI2200 chip, and did a press release on that?

Now according to Faroudja (Sage Inc.) people, that model is in production and currently selling in US and Canada! And the marketing folks at Faroudja even mail me the web links that selling this model online: http://www.primaamerica.com

The two models featuring Faroudja line doubler chip are:

- HDTV HT-3081B (30" inch)

- HDTV HT-3481B (34" inch)

Heard the price is in around $1500~1700 dollar range, and this baby can HD input to 1080i/720p (~up to 45khz scan rate).

Look like an AWAESOME deal considering it does DCDi, 3:2 pull down, Cross color suppression and Faroudja deinterlacing!!!

Below are the contact info:

Prima USA

10740 Meridian Ave. N.

Suite 205

Seattle, WA

USA, 98133 Tel: (206) 417-1965

Fax: (206) 417-8053

e-mail: [email protected]

web site: www.primaamerica.com

CANADA:

Prima Electronics Inc.

5900 No. 3 Rd

Suite 750

Richmond, British Columbia

Canada, V6X 3P7 Tel: (604) 821-9918

Fax: (604) 821-9919

e-mail: [email protected]

web site: www.primaamerica.com

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Don't track prices that closely, but on a size/feature basis these seem to offer quite a bit more than what's on the market. Only need some brave souls to determine quality, service, etc.

Deinterlacing is a crucial feature since bad algorithms/processing can screw up all your NTSC images. You'd think the Faroudja chip would settle the question of doubler quality. But it would be interesting to find out if these sets use the buffer-memory option for the Faroudja chip, which supposedly provides better deinterlacing, or the non-buffer option. (The buffer feature is outlined at the Sage website.) -- John

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is this comparable to the Panasonic 34" Tau HDTV? If it is then $1500 is a screaming deal? What are the dimensions of the 34" Prima? On the web site they do not easily specify the size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John- Checked with Faroudja people today, they confirm these Prima HD-ready TV does use 4MB external memory buffer for deinterlacing work.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Has anyone taken the plunge and bought one of these Prima TVs?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
What amazes me is that their 34" tv is only 112 lbs, while the same size sampo is 192 lbs... and the prima has a line doubler (faroudja to boot) while the sampo doesn't even line double. This might be the lightest tube tv out there! Please let's hear some reviews.

Bob C

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bobbyc
What amazes me is that their 34" tv is only 112 lbs, while the same size sampo is 192 lbs... and the prima has a line doubler (faroudja to boot) while the sampo doesn't even line double. This might be the lightest tube tv out there! Please let's hear some reviews.

Bob C
If you check the upper section of the same page where you found the 112 lb quote, the weight is listed at nearly 200 lbs...about the same as the SAMPO. In fact, this set seems to spec out like the SAMPO but with a 3D comb filter. Unfortunately, it also has Scan Velocity Modulation. Unless it can be defeated or is inoperative on the RGB input, that would be a show stopper for me.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
ahhhhh. Seemed too good to be true. When I lived in my apartment, I would take my sampo to my parents home every few weekends to watch movies etc so I got used to carrying it (with a friend) up and down the stairs to my apartment. That's why I got so excited about the 112lb figure.

Bob C

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Guess I'll check them out at CES. Their parent company, Xiamen Overseas Chinese Electric is in booth 3517 LVCC center 1&2. Sage Inc. (faroudja) is in booth 19008 LVCC south hall 1-2.

Bob C

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Ok now i'm really confused. I was checking out primaamerica.com website and was looking at the glossary page when I noticed Sampo being referenced there under the term "bandwidth". "Refers to the amount of sound and picture information that can be reproduced by a TV. Sampo TV's have high bandwidth (45KHz) to support very high screen resolution (720p).
http://www.primaamerica.com/consumer-glossary.html#b

So what's the deal? Are they the same company? I know for a fact that my sampo 34" doesn't have a line doubler in it.

Bob C

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Check out the following links

http://www.globalsources.com/tradesh...4/showroom.htm

30" ----

http://www.globalsources.com/tradesh...90/details.htm

34" ----

http://www.globalsources.com/tradesh...08/details.htm

38" TV ----

http://www.globalsources.com/tradesh...16/details.htm

It would seem that these TV's are using the common Toshiba flat 30" and 34" tubes. The technical nomenclature of the tube design is the same as the Toshiba literature. The bigger 38" set may be using another tube that isn't pure flat.

Another strange thing is that both the 30" and 38" give tube dimensions of 32" and 40" and model numbers that match the tube size. This is how most of the world does it. The 34" TV has a 36" tube but a model number that begins with 34. In the US we go by viewable area not the tube size.

Also, I went through the purchase page on Prima's web site and shipping for the 34" set would be $212 to Virginia. Still not a bad price considering the best price I can find on a 34" Sampo is $2100 including shipping.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Now something odd - on the CES showroom site, they say that all three sets are 1080i only (no 720p) but on the prima online site they say it does support native 720p (on the 30 & 34inch).

720p support is something that I would like... it is annoying that the information is conflicting...

Still, a 40" direct view 16:9 set... way cool!

Cheers!

DAve.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
There is some more information at the chinese site. That site says it supports:

HDTV:1080i->1080i;720P->720P

SDTV:480P->480P

NTSC:480I->960I (by DRC)

It also lists the 38" version as using a "superflat microfilter picture tube" while the 30" and 34" use a "FD micro-filter picture tube". Anybody know the difference, dot pitch, etc? There can't be too many companies making such large tubes. I wonder if their version of "DRC" is the same as that used by Sony?

http://www.xoceco.com/englishpage/pr.../hdtv/hdtv.htm

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Xiamen is the Chinese mftr for Prima and Xecoco sets.

Xiamen lists three sets: HT3281 (32"), HT3481 (36"- I think the # should be HT3681 for this set) and HT4081 (40"). The site claims 720p>1080i for all sets.

Xoceco lists three sets: HT3281 (32"), HT3681 (36") and HT4081 (40"). (Note model # diff on 36" set w/Xiamen). The site claims 720p & 1080i compatability.

Prima lists two sets: HT3081 (30") and HT3481 (34"). As someone noted, the size and model # change is to accomodate the FTC rule on using visible area, not tube size. The site claims 720p & 1080i compatability.

I have emailed Prima to see if the HT4081 will be available in the US, where its model number will probably be HT3881 because of the FTC rule, and if so, when and the price.

As to tube flatness, The 30" and 34" sets are completely flat. My guess is that the "superflat" tube on the 38" will not be completely flat, but very flat with some corner curvature similar to the RCA F38310

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'll ask something that may be obvious because I am a bit confused on nomenclature....

When they say in the US that a set is 38", what exactly is the 38" referring to?

a)Tube Size

b)Exposed tube

c)Active area of the display

I am being VERY confused by this -- in their specs for the 40" tube, it also reports what turns out to be a 38" diagonal active area.

I was considering buying the RCA 38" 16:9 set -- but haven't been able to determine what the active screen area is.

Is the Xoceco 40" set any bigger than the RCA 38" set?

What are the rules determining how tube size is reported? Is Xoceco/Prim/Xiamen Overseas Chinese Electric reporting it differently than is common in the US? What exactly is Global Sources? Looks like they only sell blocks of 100 units or more. I sent an email to the Prima America site and they haven't answered any questions yet.

Thanks for helping un-confuse me!

Joe

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Years ago, US TV sets quoted tube size; the FTC ruled that the mftrs had to quote visible area. This is a difference of 2". I have seen Sony sets with two model numbers on the box: 27 for the US and 29 for Canada.

The two Chinese sites are quoting tube size for the sets. Prima, for US market, is using US FTC rules and the sizes are 2" less. The 32" China sets become 30" in the US. The 36" China sets become 34" in the US.

If Prima imports the 40" Chinese sets, they will end up being called 38" sets. The set will have the same visible area as the RCA F38310 which in compliance with FTC rules has a visible area of 38".

More confusing is whether the sets will display 720p or unconvert it to 1080i as the sites conflict on this point.

Read the very confusing material on how you get a Prima set if you order one. Prima does not ship direct. It sends the set to the Prima store nearest to you where you can pick it up, or have the store deliver it if the store delivers sets

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
got a email from Prima about these sets:

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry via Internet. To date our products have not been sold online. If you prefer, we can provide you retailer information in Canada, so you can purchase from them. Prima products will be introduced through Best Buy in U.S.A in May 2002.
So we can head to best buy in May to check them out.

Tim

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I emailed Prima 2 days ago asking if its sets display 720p or convert 720p to 1080i, and whether Prima will also be carrying the 40" (US 38") set, but have rec'd no reply. If I do, I will post it here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.