AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a screen painted with Behr medium gray with poly and silver metallic,my question is do I need to prime over this or just go for it,its only been like 2 days since I have painted.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts
Well, SF as well as most other Gray applications work best over bright white underlying base coats. Excepting Mirrors which are the creme-de-le creme.

What is your PJ? Throw? Depending upon your reserve of lumens...if any...you might get by OK...but face the facts...it would only get/be better if you sanded the other finish with a Medium/fin grit sanding block...down ultra smooth, the thinly prime it just until it's a even coating that eclipses the Gray underneath, then coat with Silver Fire.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
unless your underlying coat is a 'pure' silver metallic... or mirror...

then it's an absolutely necessary undertaking if you want to achieve higher white levels. the very reason for silver fire is to minimize the loss of white levels...hence it's RGBY + translucency. but if your basecoat is grey, the light that penetrates the topcoat is absorbed... rather than returned...and the efficiency of SF (when combined with reflective/white/fusion basecoat) other than the metallics within the topcoat itself is lost.

look, i'm quite sure the reason you are looking at SF is that the nuetral/grey/poly natural window just didn't add any 'sizzle' to your viewing experience. so don't handicap it with your past screen application.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts
Stratman50,

PB is right. He's being adamant....but he is right.

It seems your trying to juice up the Gray with a bit of SM didn't muster up results you could appreciate.

Silver Fire has a tremendously larger amount of the goodies you want (Silver & Pearl) as well as a degree of added reflectivity contained within the Colorant. It will not fail you. Just take the trouble to do a good jon of re-priming, and you'll be fine. To save a bit and make things a bit easier on yourself at this conjecture, you could haul up short a bit and use RS-MaxxxMudd (regular) though, however the difference between the two is as marked as the difference between what you have now and a white screen.....contrast assisting wise.

Tell ya what....I was the one trying to help you get past what you already had....and it was less than what you hoped for. If your set on Silver Fire, you spend for the Viscosity Base, and the Reflective base components....I'll send ya 3 oz SF Colorant and getcha past this logjam. On me. Completely.
I only have about 1/2 gallon on me at present.
I'll be glad to help.

PM me with a address and getcherself pumped.

Everyone else.....dream on. I have lots of the stuff to send off,and Stratman50 is/was a bit of my responsibility....... at least a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts