AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am curious about OLED's and have a couple questions about these televisions that so far I have not been able to discover an answer for.
1) Do OLED televisions use a textured screen similar to LCD/LED's, or do they use a smooth screen like what was used on plasma sets?
2) As OLEDs are emissive displays, do they require a "break-in" period of one to two hundred hours of use prior to performing a calibration as was the case with plasma sets?
3) Are OLEDs subject to burn-in or image retention if you were to regularly watch a news channel or sports channel that always has a ticker bar along the bottom of the screen?

Anything else people should be aware of with these sets before investing in one???

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
3) Are OLEDs subject to burn-in or image retention if you were to regularly watch a news channel or sports channel that always has a ticker bar along the bottom of the screen?
Very few people, if any, have intentionally tested this for obvious reasons. Luckily for us though, a member of Overclock.net accidentally tested the burn-in of his 1st generation LG 55EA9800 OLED TV when using it as his computer monitor:

[URL=http://www.overclock.net/t/1542119/sony-sony-expands-trimaster-el-series-with-first-oled-designed-for-pro-video-production#post_23562524]Assimilator87 @ Overclock.net[/URL] said:
I've been using an OLED display for almost a year and have not had any issues with image burn in. There have even been many occasions when I passed out with the screen still on, displaying my desktop. Considering that's with a first gen OLED display, I'd imagine the new ones fair even better.
That's not to say they absolutely can't get burn-in, but it seems to be at a level similar to the final generation of CRT displays where you have to really abuse the set for several days straight.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The only IR I've experienced showed up after watching like 13 episodes of House of Cards in a row. House of Cards has slim black bars in top and bottom, and those showed up in dim grey content afterwards. But, then I left the TV on with a screensaver running for a few hours and it 'washed' the IR away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts