AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Could not find answer so far so let me ask this question here. When making my screen for watching movies (200" , and Epson 8350) I'd like to use Behr's Silver-Screen. My surface is flat, and even, but light pink with some pink patterns on it. I know I need normally to put Primer prior to paint I'm going to go with (SScreen)... but I've been told at H. Depot that I could buy Silver-screen paint with already mixed primer to it and that would contribute into saving on time and money... Am though skeptical, and need someone's opinion if am risking significant suffer of quality vs if I just use separate primer and then use silver-screen... (???). ...I know that I'd need gain +3, but forget it , won't happen here with this paint, I know...)

Very appreciate any comments.

At this point, probably lot's of you would tell me I'm going to get a poor quality screen - I assume so, but I'm into more traditionally looking dimmed cinema experience, yet 'relatively huge' and 'throwing on me size' (or if I seat far from my screen, that's also must) then close, small screen with super bright/sharp more like HD TV looking screen. We have a huge basement and want to take advantage of size.

Unfortunately my budget also is limited, and not having much time to spend in front of my cinema gets me this way a reasonable ''trade off" to enjoy it.

Thx,

·
Registered
162 Posts
Can't speak to the screen part, but I can speak to Behr Paint & Primer (at least the Behr Ultra Premium Plus with Primer). One coat dang near covered a RED wall with a light gray color. The stuff works great.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,894 Posts
If rolling, use the SilverScreen mixed into a Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Flat Enamel and go directly over the existing Paint.

However to get the most gain possible, applying a White Primer first, and then spraying on the SS will give the image enough boost to make a noticeable difference.

What you do not want to have happen is to shoot for size and wind up with a really dull image.

You don't mention what PJ you have, or your desired Throw distance, but if you mount the PJ of choice within 1.5' of the minimum Throw required for a given size Screen, you'll be about as close to optimal as you can hope to be.

Oh yeah...if you go insanely big, setting the PJ at the Mid-Throw point and using a Satin instead of a Flat can work very well using SilverScreen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder though... Epson 8350.... Having contrast ratio: 50,000:1, and having lightness Up to 2000 lumens... do I really need SilverScreen ? I know for the first number, contrast ratio my 'black' looks preatty black... and so on light (not silver screen gray) paint it still may be good?? Considering far distance between projector's lens and projected wall ( ~ 25' feet), and screen size ~ 185" (remeasured - it's not 200) - don't I need a bit of 'gain' that would easier achived with lighter paint???

Said that, what do you think about Behr's: 770E-1 (Quietude) rather then 770E-2 Silver screen?.... - it's not totally white but bit into 'grey' direction, yet substantially lighter then silverscreen.

Any oppinions ? I have nearly non of ambient light in our basement for the time of projections... only ceiling is white while on the right hand side have bunch of windows (halve wall, and pinkish rest of the wall - not white, not producing much reflection), and other walls are 'far away' not really producing/reflecting/contributing to any ambient light...

Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts