AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...i haven't seen this mentioned too many times here. What is a good HD brand of primer paint for doing MDF soffits? (They will eventually be painted flat black.) Also, are you guys spraying or rolling the paint? Lastly, any recommendations for a decent sprayer for shooting this paint if the concenses is to spray?

Thanks in advance!

Conrad in Canada.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For the love of god, don't just paint over MDF. I learned this the hard way. Finish them with a layer of 1/4" drywall. It's amazingly hard to finish MDF properly so that it won't crack in the future. You can't just tape and mud MDF and expect it to act like it was finished drywall. It just behaves differently. The paint that I used for MDF priming was Benjamin Moore Spuer Spec Latex Enamel Undercoater and Primer Sealer. The number is white 235-00. This paint worked flawlessly on all the MDF priming I did. It won't "raise the grain" on MDF. We did all rolling with a 1/4" roller to keep it smooth as possible.

Seriously though, don't do it. It's very possible your seams will crack despite what you do.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Different perspective...

Primed my MDF soffits with Zinsser. I believe I user the Bullseye 123. It is available at HD.

I had cracks at 1 of my 3 MDF joints. All were finished with Zinsser Ready Patch. The joint that cracked was a butt joint where I attempted to glue two pieces of MDF together with wood glue prior to filling the joint with ready patch. The two that did not crack were biscuit joints. Those two held the MDF pieces together and have prevented cracking 5+ months in.

To repair the joint that cracked, I glued and nailed a piece of MDF across the joint (top side at the edge of the light tray). Once that dried, I finished it again with Ready Patch. No cracks since.

All the soffits have two coats of the Zinsser primer. Rolled on using a foam roller for smooth surfaces. Sanded in between first and second and after the second. My entire room was spray painted using the Rockler HPLV sprayer system. Primer, sand, paint, sand, paint. Used BJ Moore. So, the soffits have 3 coats of primer. Moore than was needed, but quite smooth with no visible difference between paint on the soffit and paint on the wood trim/columns/etc.

Other builds have covered MDF with GOM.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Love all the responses. Thanks so much. "Redstripe88" is probably the way I may steer towards. I am glad we are into Spring type weather up here ( Ontario) I am hoping to paint some soffit outside....then start my build thread soon. Doing a lot of prepping before I get caught with my pants down here lol. I really appreciate the 3 comments. Thanks Gents!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts