AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am close to buying some subs for a distributed bass system in my living room.

Will be utilizing at least 4 subs near each of the four corners of my listening area.

I have a Galaxy SPL meter and REW.

Is it still valid for me to set my existing subwoofer in my listening position, run REW with test tones, then measure output at different the different locations where I plan on locating my subs.

Bass reciprocity I think it's called.

Is this still the best way to find optimum locations?

Looking for suggestions.

·
Registered
911 Posts
4 subs will solve all if not most of your placement issues. You should have a good smooth response. REW graph it for fun, but there will be little need to tweak it I reckon.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie  /t/1520728/primo-sub-location-bass-reciprocity#post_24433755

4 subs will solve all if not most of your placement issues.
Not all. Just as important as the sub location is the LP location. Put it in the wrong place and there will be nulls, though with four subs they should be minimal.
Quote:
So I shouldn't worry so much about placement as long as I have ample headroom to EQ effectively?
Always remember that EQ is the final tweak, and shouldn't be counted on to do more than 6dB of correction from average. That means if your response throughout the LP isn't +/-6dB before EQing keep adjusting placement until it is.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks.

But would I determine this via REW and SPL meter, with sub being placed at LP and measurements taken in proposed target placement locations?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Electric Wiz  /t/1520728/primo-sub-location-bass-reciprocity#post_24434349

Many thanks.

But would I determine this via REW and SPL meter, with sub being placed at LP and measurements taken in proposed target placement locations?
That doesn't work because there are too many variables, you can't predict what the sum total of the four subs will do. Trial and error is the way to go, with the Harmon paper as a starting point.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like based on that article, and looking at my room that it would [potentially] be best to have a sub at the front and back of the listening area in the middle of the wall. Interesting.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did an attic crawl last night and it appears that the best placement (as far as access) is going to be at the top of the vaulted ceiling peak, on the vertical plane.

The cool thing is that I can make the manifold deeper and put 4x18" in this location.

Will probably start with the rear location and put another at the front if needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts