AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just picked up some Infinity Primus 363 for 115 at frys. I am new to this whole HT setup business. I am a college student on a budget.

Originally I was thinking about getting the Denon 1913 to go with it. But reading all this stuff on needing 4ohm outs. So leaning towards the Denon 2313

My goal currently is just the two 363s and a receiver.

But in the near future (6-12mo) would like to complete the setup for a full 5.1 setup.

I have a open floor plan for the next 10months til I move out, but its a kitchen/dining room/living room with 9ft ceilings. where the speakers will be.

So my question is,

Is the 1913 good enough to handle a 5.1 with the Primus 363s? Should I go with the Denon 2313(since it has preouts) 500-600 is max for the reciver i can comfortably spend

Do I need a Pre Amp?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I want to do the setup right the first time, and thats why I came here, be mean and whatever just dont want to have to constantly upgrade.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
The 363s are pretty efficient speakers. The 1913 should be sufficient. However, the 2313 does include Audyssey MultEQ XT as well as pre-outs. The 2113 might be a better buy as it features XT as well (but no pre-outs). I would be surprised if you needed an external amp unless your new space is extremely large and you enjoy listening at very loud volumes.

Reactions: SLIDEx

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan  /t/1471619/primus-363-speakers-which-reciever-to-boot#post_23286570

The 363s are pretty efficient speakers. The 1913 should be sufficient. However, the 2313 does include Audyssey MultEQ XT as well as pre-outs. The 2113 might be a better buy as it features XT as well (but no pre-outs). I would be surprised if you needed an external amp unless your new space is extremely large and you enjoy listening at very loud volumes.

If I went with the 2313 and the 363 speakers I would NOT need the pre amp correct? Or would I get some gain from shelling out a few hundred more for it.

I do about 80/20 for TV and Music

But I do like to host parties and Music can get quite loud so would a pre-amp be a good idea? Or am i reading to much into it

Or do you guys like the Pioneer SC 1222 better because of the D3 amp?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIDEx  /t/1471619/primus-363-speakers-which-reciever-to-boot#post_23286627

If I went with the 2313 and the 363 speakers I would NOT need the pre amp correct? Or would I get some gain from shelling out a few hundred more for it.

I do about 80/20 for TV and Music

But I do like to host parties and Music can get quite loud so would a pre-amp be a good idea? Or am i reading to much into it

Or do you guys like the Pioneer SC 1222 better because of the D3 amp?

Well, the 2313 would be the "pre amp" The question is would you need a separate "amp"

The reality is, no one knows. What's loud enough for me may not be loud enough for you.

Adding a good sub would probably help more than an buying an amp...

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
the Denon 2313 only has preouts for zone 2., that's not gonna help you adding an external amp with your Infinity speakers as mains. You'd be wasting money if you think you're getting the Denon 2313 for the preouts.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1471619/primus-363-speakers-which-reciever-to-boot#post_23287048

the Denon 2313 only has preouts for zone 2..

You are correct...Somehow I missed that...

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I would go the opposite direction and recommend the 1712 or 1713 if they have all the options you need. The 17xx series also has Audyssey MultEQ XT. I would skip the 19xx series altogether and jump up to the 2xxx series if you want something better. I have the Inifinity P363s also and don't have problems driving them with lower end receivers. Like was previously mentioned. It all depends on how loud you play and how far away you sit from the speakers. Notice I didn't say how large the room is. Room size only affects the subs, not the satellite speakers. Distance from the speakers is more accurate measurement. Even if you have a 50' x 50' room, if you're only sitting 5 feet from the speakers, you won't need huge power to drive them to acceptable levels.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135  /t/1471619/primus-363-speakers-which-reciever-to-boot#post_23287774

I would go the opposite direction and recommend the 1712 or 1713 if they have all the options you need. The 17xx series also has Audyssey MultEQ XT. I would skip the 19xx series altogether and jump up to the 2xxx series if you want something better. I have the Inifinity P363s also and don't have problems driving them with lower end receivers. Like was previously mentioned. It all depends on how loud you play and how far away you sit from the speakers. Notice I didn't say how large the room is. Room size only affects the subs, not the satellite speakers. Distance from the speakers is more accurate measurement. Even if you have a 50' x 50' room, if you're only sitting 5 feet from the speakers, you won't need huge power to drive them to acceptable levels.

Really insightful post, thank you.

Yea I am only sitting 10 feet from them when I watch TV/Movies

So the question I have tho, to be a little more future proof should I go with the SC-1222 by Pioneer? Or would that be a waste and just snag the 1713 and save the 200 bucks

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Keep in mind the 1713 is only for 5.1. If you ever plan on expanding to 7.1 you will need to choose one of the 2X13 receivers (that also feature Audyssey XT).

·
Registered
2,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIDEx  /t/1471619/primus-363-speakers-which-reciever-to-boot/0_100#post_23290230

Really insightful post, thank you.

Yea I am only sitting 10 feet from them when I watch TV/Movies

So the question I have tho, to be a little more future proof should I go with the SC-1222 by Pioneer? Or would that be a waste and just snag the 1713 and save the 200 bucks

First off, there is no such thing as future proofing with electronics like this. Not even a little bit.

It really would depend on you. Unless the Pioneer has a must have feature that you need or want that the 1713 doesn't offer, I would stick with the 1713 and be happy knowing I saved $200. One thing to note. Not sure if the Pioneer has MCACC or not, but MCACC does not calibrate the sub channel. Generally, Pioneers have more adjustability of the EQ (from what I've heard, no actual experience though), but if you don't play with the EQ then it would be a moot point. I think sub EQ and calibration in itself would favor the 1713, but that's just my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.