AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This game is set during the seven year span between PoP 1 and 2. I don't believe it has much to do with the forthcoming summer movie due May 28th , but it is timed to release on May 18th!

http://prince-of-persia.us.ubi.com/ has a new trailer released today which shows game play and links to some articles/interviews. The previous trailer was only a teaser.

I thought the most recent Prince of Persia game (released in 2008 for the PS3) was a letdown, albeit a beautiful one, from one of my all time favorite action-adventure game series. This seems to be a return to the roots of the Sands of Time trilogy and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Full disclosure: I think The Warrior Within was the best of the trilogy; it's combat was epic!

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Warrior Within was the worst of the trilogy. The first one was the best. Hell, even the 2D version that was on the PC waaaaaay back in the 80's was better than Warrior Within.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I thought Forgotten Sands took place between POP1 and POP2, helping to explain why the Prince's personality changed between the two.

Personally, I think POP1 was the best overall package because of the story, personalities, and freshness of the gameplay, despite the iffy combat. POP2 had some annoyances (gratuitous T&A, coarse language; combat that was technically varied, but ultimately soulless, boring, and too frequent; occasional game-crashing bugs), but I really loved the time-bending plot, level design (including multiple-timeline versions of the same areas), reduced linearity, and multiple endings. I also thought it was hilarious to beat the tar out of people with a teddy bear, getting health back with each hit.

Ignoring the annoying stuff, POP2 really did build successfully on most of the things that POP1 had done so well, and it could have been the best of the series if they'd given it some more polish and dialed down its tone.

- Jer

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More details have emerged:

- no connection to the summer movie other than they are both set in the SoT universe

- the Prince can manipulate the elements plus time (new trailers show freezing water spouts and water falls to make them acrobatic elements)

- Wii version is a different story (although related)

- Xbox/PC/PS3 versions built on the Anvil engine (used by Assassins Creed) to allow combat with up to 50 enemies at a time.

- PS3 pre-order bonus from Gamestop: a combat arena of unlimited enemies.

KingShorty: you are entitled to your incorrect opinion.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky123 /forum/post/18664491

Has anybody played this yet? Is it any good?

I picked it up on Tuesday, but it's still in the shrink wrap due to Red Dead Redemption...

Metacritic had it at ~75 last I checked. The consensus seemed to be that the platforming was great, but the combat was simplistic and kind of boring, similar to POP:SOT. Most of the score dings seemed to be about the lack of innovation in gameplay vs. previous entries.

- Jer

·
Registered
410 Posts
I havent played the other prince of persia for the ps3 but i did enjoy the ps2 pop's.

I was kind of excited for this game...but i think i will wait until it drops in price a bit. Red Dead Redemption is going to keep me busy for a bit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I remember playing the PS2 game, but don't remember the title, Sands of Time? It was pretty fun. I will try a demo first of this though.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I had pre-ordered this one with the 25% online sale at GS last month and it arrived Friday, so I PoPped it into the PS3 Friday night and played for an hour or two. Here are my impressions:

Platforming and Graphics: TFS feels like a hybrid between the SoT series and a little of the PoP 2008 for environments, which is excellent to see in high def. The thing that really made me smile was that some of the Prince's jumps are identical to the original PoP from the 8-bit days!

Sound and Soundtrack: Steve Jablonsky has nailed things; very evocative of the SoT soundtracks, I am enjoying it thoroughly already. If you ever hummed any of the other themes, you'll be happy. Of course, the sound effects are fine. The Prince's voice actor is reprised from the SoT trilogy and he makes sarcastic comments to himself about the situation at hand, so this feels like a welcome and comfortable return as well.

Combat: I've still early on in the game, just got the rewind power and haven't purchased any of the elemental combat powers yet. So I can only tell you about the standard, default mode of combat right now. TFS throws 20 skeletons at you in a decent sized room to have fun with. Depending on your mood or familiarity with the acrobatics, you can:

1) button mash and eventually figure out to kick the guys down to give yourself some breathing room because you have *NO DEFENSE* -- you need to dodge by retreating, jumping, or rolling away from attacks.

2) charge into the throng: jump over the first guy and stab him on the ground, jump towards the next, jump from him over to another area to flank and attack from the side, and then button mash strategically!

I'm still getting comfortable with the combat, but it is different from all of the other PoPs and I think it'll be okay. There is chaining and powering up attacks, but I'm not there yet. There's potential here already, but I don't know if I'll get back to the natural combat high I reached with PoP:WW. At the end of the day, this combat experience will be different and that's all there is to it.

Story: bad things are happening to your brother's palace, he's trying to lead you and his guards against any attacking army, he unleashes a power he can't control to beat the army, now you've got to help fix it up. Nothing too special, but it's told in a compelling way - I do care about the characters somewhat already.

So far, so good - Ubisoft is in the right place and I'm happy.

·
Registered
720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummernrg /forum/post/18677123

Well, I had pre-ordered this one with the 25% online sale at GS last month and it arrived Friday, so I PoPped it into the PS3 Friday night and played for an hour or two. Here are my impressions:

Platforming and Graphics: TFS feels like a hybrid between the SoT series and a little of the PoP 2008 for environments, which is excellent to see in high def. The thing that really made me smile was that some of the Prince's jumps are identical to the original PoP from the 8-bit days!

Sound and Soundtrack: Tom Salta has nailed things; very evocative of the SoT soundtracks, I am enjoying it thoroughly already. If you ever hummed any of the other themes, you'll be happy. Of course, the sound effects are fine. The Prince's voice actor is reprised from the SoT trilogy and he makes sarcastic comments to himself about the situation at hand, so this feels like a welcome and comfortable return as well.

Combat: I've still early on in the game, just got the rewind power and haven't purchased any of the elemental combat powers yet. So I can only tell you about the standard, default mode of combat right now. TFS throws 20 skeletons at you in a decent sized room to have fun with. Depending on your mood or familiarity with the acrobatics, you can:

1) button mash and eventually figure out to kick the guys down to give yourself some breathing room because you have *NO DEFENSE* -- you need to dodge by retreating, jumping, or rolling away from attacks.

2) charge into the throng: jump over the first guy and stab him on the ground, jump towards the next, jump from him over to another area to flank and attack from the side, and then button mash strategically!

I'm still getting comfortable with the combat, but it is different from all of the other PoPs and I think it'll be okay. There is chaining and powering up attacks, but I'm not there yet. There's potential here already, but I don't know if I'll get back to the natural combat high I reached with PoP:WW. At the end of the day, this combat experience will be different and that's all there is to it.

Story: bad things are happening to your brother's palace, he's trying to lead you and his guards against any attacking army, he unleashes a power he can't control to beat the army, now you've got to help fix it up. Nothing too special, but it's told in a compelling way - I do care about the characters somewhat already.

So far, so good - Ubisoft is in the right place and I'm happy.

+1

Was going to write up a review, but glad I waited.
drummernrg's review is DEAD-ON accurate.

Graphics aren't as "pretty" as 2008 PoP, but Prince is more agile & moves a lot more like the original PS2 trilogy Prince.

I'm a little further in--I purchased two "powers" (the stone/rock shield & ice blast) and they work as advertised. Haven't hit the elemental powers section yet that were shown in the vids (freezing water), but if you liked the original PS2 Prince of Persia games, you'll prob. like this one.

If you REALLY liked the 2008 PoP game then I'd suggest waiting for a demo (if they ever release one). There are enough differences between those two games that it might be a bit off-putting.

Can't for the life of me see why the Meta-Critic scores are so low. Like drummernrg, I'm really digging the game. The only issue that I have is that the "Fortress" where 95% of the game has taken place so far is a little bland in terms of setting, but that is a SMALL knock on an otherwise great little game. I'd score it in the low 80s. It isn't revolutionary (so far), but it's still fun, nonetheless.

·
Registered
720 Posts

Quote:
Haven't hit the elemental powers section yet that were shown in the vids (freezing water),

Just got the "freeze water" power last night after I posting--very cool. It doesn't change the gameplay a whole lot, but it does change the "timing" of your moves, especially in those areas where the water cycles on and off.

Makes for some pretty intense button combination/platforming sections. Freeze water, hold it, swing, swing, swing, land on platform, release power, let meter recharge, freeze water, hold it, swing, wall run, jump, swing, swing, swing, release it, wall run, grab to climb up to next section (just one of many examples).

Freezing water is keyed to a timed meter (similar to the rewind power). Doesn't run so fast that it is frustrating, but doesn't hold forever.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Mini-Review

I'm near the end of PoP:TFS and it's definitely a game that is in need of more love from Ubisoft. It's a game that hasn’t a clue as to what it wants to be, it’s seemingly lost it's way home to it's predecessors. The nice thing is that it does feel like, in spirit, a sequel to the Sands of Time series, but unfortunately it adds some curious and unnecessary elements to the game that feel tacked on.

Did you know that in PoP:TFS you gain experience points by killing stuff? That's right, and you know where there's XP there's a......a skill tree! In a game where there is slight variations in the amount of guys you kill, there is actually a very limited and trivial system that allows you to "build" up your character. Sure you can drop points into a slot to do more damage with your sword or increase your energy bar, but it all seems pointless because the game remains exactly the game. This is a prime example of a game that should have been designed, like the previous versions, to give the player a very specific experience without the annoyances of haggling with a skill point system.

Perhaps this skill point system could have worked if Ubisoft decided to REALLY run with it by changing the game design dramatically and open the world up to the player--like Batman: Arkham Asylum where it's more of a guided open-world. But the game ultimately falls short of its ambitions and doesn’t succeed. But to be honest I'm not even sure I would want something like that. I really enjoyed Sands of Time and I would've loved it if Ubisoft would have focused more on that. Make a good, solid Prince of Persia with fantastic art, memorable level design, interesting characters and a protagonist who's a little more authentic (and unshaven). This whole thing works about as well as if you might imagine if Half-Life 3 had a skill tree.

The graphics are, at times, somewhat pleasing but they tend to be mostly boring, mundane and repetitious. The texture work and actual architectural design is fine I suppose, but the problem is that nothing is memorable. Levels from the beginning of the game seem to melt right into the ones near the end.

The protagonist, though animated well, is just a pillar of oddity. I'm not sure how else to say it but--his face looks weird, and I think this might be partly due to the fact that his facial hair (including eyebrows) are too perfectly groomed. I know it's weird, but he's annoying and coupled with the clichéd snarky attitude. Plus he looks more like a California surfer-dude than a Persian prince. The absolute strangest thing though is the fact that someone decided he should have a BRITISH accent! What?

The general enemies, mini-bosses and boss designs are dull. Everything is forgettable and without personality. I feel like I've seen everything 37 somewhere else in my life--be it from other video games or movies--and it's groan inducing.

What I will say is nice is the platforming design. The Prince is a touch too sluggish at first but once you adapt to the running, jumping and flipping I think it all feels great. You gain the ability to control water, or freeze it, and so horizontal spouting water are now poles and waterfalls are now walls to run up. It's a great mechanic that works really well. This is easily the most redeeming aspect of the game. The environmental puzzles are never difficult or frustrating, but also can be a touch too easy at times.

In the end I think Ubisoft should have stuck with the Sands of Time system: focus on the rewind mechanic, the platforming, more interesting characters and gameplay. Ditch the unnecessary experience and skill tree system and move on.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well right now I think I'm near the end, but because of a fatal lack of foresight as well as sheer stupidity by the developers, my game is permanently stuck. I had read Kotaku's review and one of the complaints was the simplistic autosave feature and lack of save slots and with how glitchy and patchable games are these days, something will go horribly wrong and you can't load back an old save. Well LO-AND-BEHOLD (sp?) I just got the Djinn to enter my sword and was climbing up Solomon's Tower, jumping from vulture to vulture, when I slipped up and died. I get transported back to the dungeon level down below with all the axe pendulums, and the gate ahead is completely shut. That's it for me. Game over. I can't advance past the gate, and I am definitely not starting a new game. For those not aware, aside from the autosaves, this game is extremely streamlined to the point where you can't backtrack past any gates or doors and god forbid if one of the developers screws up and places an autosave in an area where the gate should have been shut from behind but instead is right in front of you. /rant /rant

Review

Even though it is not based on the movie, this game felt like a rushed movie tie-in nonetheless and has none of the PoP charm and feels so third-rate and methodically uninspired I wonder how it even got green-lighted.

Story: If you didn't like the last PoP because the Prince sounded like a high-school dropout and the writing and dialogue was grating and paper-thin, you should be happy that the Forgotten Sands isn't even pretentious enough to try and match it. Instead, they have looked towards such games as Halo, Killzone, and Gears of War for their script standards. You won't find more than just short simple lines and dumb reasoning and idiotic behavior among the cast. The cynical quips that the Prince is forced to tell himself to fill the void of a conversing duo with chemistry is just plain childish and completely forced. The story is propelled by that awful plot device where the characters have alzheimer's and don't explain anything and talk to each other as if they were speech impaired and undergoing dementia, leading to one misunderstanding and missed opportunity after another, not that there is much to talk about since even if the lines were filled in thoroughyl, the storyboard isn't much better than "Mario goes save the Princess. The End."

Graphics: First off, this is probably the worst looking of any of the 4 Prince of Persia 3D games, and I don't know how it can look worse than an 8-9 years older last-gen game. It may have that 720p sharpness and widescreen glamour, but that's all it has. The game doesn't try to hide the fact that you are running around in a giant box and clinging onto more boxes and solid, squared objects. The environments look so generic and fake that it is laughable at times. When the prince goes into the famed gardens of his brother's kingdom, he exclaims "it is far more beautiful than I remembered it" or something to that effect. The garden is nothing more than a set of unembellished platforms with water spouts inbetween for freezing and a couple of squiggles of green along the wall to claim the poorest excuse of a garden I have ever seen. The rest of the game is just plain barren dungeons and drab, spaciously bare rooms. I still can't believe a game this day and age can be so low-fi and look so bad it shames even old PS2 games.

The animations are just as bad. They are all jerky and poorly mapped out, like some first generation 3D game with stuttering and cartoony quick movements. The spell effects that some review sites say make the combat interesting have such low polygon counts and sharp corners they might have been taken straight from Final Fantasy 7, particularly the fire and ice powers.

Gameplay: All of the Prince's old tricks are back, but with a new twist! The only positive thing I will say in this entire review is that I like the new water mechanic as well as the make invisible object visible mechanic, which adds an extra layer of complexity when swinging or wall running from one area to another. It adds an element of timing that I find interesting but isn't too frustrating. Now there ends the positives. It's only downhill from here.

For starters, the camera has gone berserk. When you move it around, it feels like its attached to a tether ball and is flailing around when it should be steady. In their quest to streamline the game yet again, Ubisoft has placed fixed camera angles throughout the game, and I'm not talking about the old cinematic panorama views from the old games. Instead, this fixes the camera to the point where you don't need to explore at all since you will always be facing the right direction and not jumping into an abyss if you don't bother to look first, but they implement it so unevenly that a quarter of the time, the camera will get stuck using the previous fixed angle, and you're forced to jump towards the screen into nothingness anyway because you can't see ahead and you can't move the camera.

The fighting and movement controls are manageable, but they feel so sloppy I wonder if this isn't some sort of clone game made by another developer who doesn't have the original code. The controls aren't very tight and the Prince tends to veer off course, falling off ledges and running into things like some unwieldy fat man who can't control his own momentum. You can't slowly step towards an edge since his step size is so large. This screws up a lot of my jumps since I end up clinging in a shimmy position instead of sailing across a chasm.

Another major issue is that they screwed up the direction controls, making them very backwards and unintuitive. When you shimmy on ledges and the path turns 90 degrees, it would be common sense that you would press the joystick upward to continue shimmying, because the path moves upwards (or further away). But no, they made it relative to the Prince instead and not what you actually see on the screen, which is really stupid. This means you either push left or right. The same goes for levers. When you finally latch onto a lever (because the Prince has butterfingers in this game), you don't rotate the joystick like every other god damn game does so perfectly. Instead, you push up to push the lever forward, and down to pull the lever. They just love breaking things that aren't broken. To spite you.

The most frustrating control scheme is that when you are clinging to a ledge and want to jump to a higher ledge, in every other game you can push jump, but in this particular one pushing jump will make you fly like a bird straight into the air only to fall 1000 feet below. Normally if I wanted to kill myself off, I would pull towards myself with the joystick and press jump. Yet another annoying feature I find about the game is that somehow, the Prince has this BRAND NEW gravity defying move where he can cling to the wall after wall jumping and scurry up the wall for 10 feet like Spiderman before losing his superpowers. Why he can't just walk up walls or fly without wings, I guess they are saving these next features for the followup game.

As far as actual platforming, although it isn't bad, it feels largely uninspired and with little originality or difficulty. It might even be easier than the previous PoP, in some instances, and all the streamlining doesn't help.

Combat: The Prince's fighting movements are inaccurate and jerky. It takes more than one try to even swing a sword at a stationary pot, much less individual enemies. The PRince seems to be wielding a giant 10 ton club and not a light sword, and added with the shoddy auto-facing makes things very unpredictable. This is all in an attempt to streamline the game, yet again. Just throw out any finesse or real control altogether, because the monsters are easy and with the auto-targeting, its a one-button mashing one-handed affair. I don't think there's even a block button. There's also just one Boss type in the entire game...

Audo/Music: Not much to say about the audio. Nothing new here. However, the music is sub-par and sounds bad, not matching the atmosphere and being out of place. There was this track that probably had only four notes repeating indefinitely. That didn't help matters. Edit: Oh wait, there's something extremely amateur also. The music will frequently cut off for a few seconds and come back on, and sometimes the volume goes out of whack. It's almost like a bad connection.

Summary: In short, the new Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands feels like some shady third party game made to imitate a Prince of Persia game, almost like a Chinese clone of an Apple product. Terrible graphics, backwards and loose controls, bland platforming (aside from the water and memory powers), broken save function, pre-K story and script, one button jerky Dynasty Warriors combat, lackluster sound, uncooperative camera, and a general cheap feel and package make this a NO in my book.

Rating: 6.5

·
Registered
720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 /forum/post/18694617

Well right now I think I'm near the end, but because of a fatal lack of foresight as well as sheer stupidity by the developers, my game is permanently stuck. I had read Kotaku's review and one of the complaints was the simplistic autosave feature and lack of save slots and with how glitchy and patchable games are these days, something will go horribly wrong and you can't load back an old save. Well LO-AND-BEHOLD (sp?) I just got the Djinn to enter my sword and was climbing up Solomon's Tower, jumping from vulture to vulture, when I slipped up and died. I get transported back to the dungeon level down below with all the axe pendulums, and the gate ahead is completely shut. That's it for me. Game over. I can't advance past the gate, and I am definitely not starting a new game. For those not aware, aside from the autosaves, this game is extremely streamlined to the point where you can't backtrack past any gates or doors and god forbid if one of the developers screws up and places an autosave in an area where the gate should have been shut from behind but instead is right in front of you. /rant /rant

Did you see:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...2/m/1971002368

or

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...368#4581000368

If they don't help you, they might help others who encounter this glitch (which we SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH!). Are you listening, Ubisoft?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, people aren't so happy with this game. I wonder if it is because the expectations from previous PoPs haven't been met and people are uncomfortable with the differences? Could this be similar to the Star Wars prequel trilogy dislike many people had?

I've played a few more hours into it last night, reached the Baths, and enabled the pre-order bonus "Forgotten Arena" mode.

Because of warcrow's dislike of the skill tree and my determination to master the combat before adding magic into the mix, I've just been upgrading health and energy bars. Likewise, I've not bought upgrade points with my uPlay credits yet.

I have felt some of the same frustrations Silverwolf0 mentioned. I've encountered a music audio glitch that lasts two seconds only once each night I've played the game. One of the cut scenes with the Prince speaking across the divide to his brother seemed to lack the Prince in cuts, really strange.

However, I must disagree about the music itself: is still spot on from the other games and now I'm hearing even more evocative elements from PoP 3-D. If you don't like it now, then you didn't like it before. However, I do seem to remember the switch battle mode music during combat and it doesn't seem to happen in TFS: thematic music for the environment/set of rooms begins when combat starts. It's not as big a shift in mood during combat.

It's not intuitive that the Prince can jump over to the middle of a wall and then you can start a wall climb, but now I'm used to it. The camera does stay fixed in certain views to force you to progress/climb a certain area. I've also jumped away from a wall rather than up the wall or up from a ledge many a time, too. But that is what the rewind time mechanic is for!

But I chalk all this up to learning the controls to master the game mechanics and I don't think anything is too terrible.

Yes, the castle is a series of large box like rooms that you navigate through. If it weren't so large, then perhaps it wouldn't feel like the quantity is disproportionate to the other PoP games.

However, I really do like the water freezing time ability, it is innovative and makes the platforming challenging!

The arena: I'm getting better at managing the crowds, combat can be intense as they throw more bosses into the mix. I enjoy the cuts to flashy finishing moves.

Bottom line now: I'm enjoying this game more than PoP 2008, but not more than any of the SoT series yet. The control of water in platforming is an excellent addition and I like how it is factored into level design. Frustrations and glitches are minor for me and I'm still happy!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks Shadowlock for the links. I had looked into the issue the other day also on a different thread and the moderator had recommended the same fix. To reiterate, you need to go to the game save utility under Games in the media crossbar and delete the autosave for the game. There will still be a backup autosave present, which will load the next time you continue in the game. However, how frequently this backup is saved is not guaranteed. When I loaded it, I was dropped back to when the Djinn woman gives me the power to materialize translucent pieces.

Speedrunning and skipping cutscenes brought me back 30 minutes later to where I had left off, and thankfully I didn't die again. I had made a copy of the autosave on a USB stick right after the Djinn entered my sword to prepare if I screw up again, but luckily I didn't need it. There's probably about an hour of game left after that, and the platforming segment that leads to the final boss is pretty interesting/nauseating, but ultimately the game was still disappointing.

I am quite convinced that this was a rush job made to cash in on the franchise, like a budget title that doesn't qualify as a full game but intended for a quick buck. I really was expecting a lot more. I'd be fine with something close to the last artsy PoP or even a game half that of Warrior Within, but this game is just ughhh. The most irritating is how stupid and juvenile the Prince AND his brother are, like two toddlers talking. The Prince only mentions the previous game once, a joke about Farah and the Djinn woman bossing him around, but it seems the memories of his last world destroying antics elude him and it seems his IQ has dropped about 70 points. I still enjoyed bits and pieces of this really short game anyway, playing more to get done with it mainly, because it was overall very easy and methodical.

As for the music, I still don't like it. The one that plays when you highlight the game is especially irritating. Generic and bombastic, not at all in the same league as the other games. I also recall lots of moments of silence when platforming from the previous games, while this one just enjoys turning the volume up for an epic assault while I'm wrapped around a pole like a monkey in a deserted room.

/rant /rant /rant

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Couldn't beat this game. Got to the last level, "The Final Climb", where you have to make your way up a tower jumping back and forth between waterfalls...and it just beat me upside the head. Spent about 4 hours doing the same jump over and over and over and over....trying out a hundred different timing combinations, and I just couldn't work my way up more than 3 parts of this level. Hell, the very first part, with only 2 waterfalls and a water poll took me almost 2 hours to time properly.

Anyone else have this frickin' problem at the end. The rest of the game up until that point was super easy. Finally just gave up and returned it back to the Blockbuster. Played a lot of games over the past 25 years....and I think this is the first one to beat me. Gordon, my podcast co-host would say that "Up!" gave me a hard time, but Gordon's not here. And I have more platinums than he does, anyway. (Well, almost.)

·
Registered
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess /forum/post/18702296

Couldn't beat this game. Got to the last level, "The Final Climb", where you have to make your way up a tower jumping back and forth between waterfalls...and it just beat me upside the head. Spent about 4 hours doing the same jump over and over and over and over....trying out a hundred different timing combinations, and I just couldn't work my way up more than 3 parts of this level. Hell, the very first part, with only 2 waterfalls and a water poll took me almost 2 hours to time properly.

Anyone else have this frickin' problem at the end. The rest of the game up until that point was super easy. Finally just gave up and returned it back to the Blockbuster. Played a lot of games over the past 25 years....and I think this is the first one to beat me. Gordon, my podcast co-host would say that "Up!" gave me a hard time, but Gordon's not here. And I have more platinums than he does, anyway. (Well, almost.)

Bummer you don't have the game anymore, since it nearly ends from there. The waterfall part is tricky at first, but there's a simple way of doing it. You freeze inbetween two waterfalls and keep on mashing jump. You don't have to time the jumps since it doesn't matter when you press jump as long as you keep pushing it non-stop. When the Prince doubles back and then goes forward again, unfreeze to get through the waterfall in front and rinse, repeat for the rest. It's probably a helluva lot easier to just youtube a video of it. The key is to mash jump non-stop and to freeze appropriately after going through a waterfall and unfreeze when advancing, which is the only thing you need to time. The main thing is to NOT climb the waterfall as this just screws the whole rhythm up. The top level has like 5 waterfalls in a row. It was a piece of cake after dieing for about 15 minutes on the very first waterfalls down below.

And for anyone who loves trophies, you will love this game. I think I got 5 trophies in the first 20 minutes of playing. I think you also get trophies for using a particular spell four whole times. Another sign of a bad cash-in game. Trophy abuse.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 /forum/post/18704272

Bummer you don't have the game anymore, since it nearly ends from there. The waterfall part is tricky at first, but there's a simple way of doing it. You freeze inbetween two waterfalls and keep on mashing jump. You don't have to time the jumps since it doesn't matter when you press jump as long as you keep pushing it non-stop. When the Prince doubles back and then goes forward again, unfreeze to get through the waterfall in front and rinse, repeat for the rest.

Crap, you make it sound so easy. Your technique sounds like it should work, but I was having a heck of a time unfreezing and refreezing the waterfalls in time. I would unfreeze the water, and the prince would hit the water and sink like a stone, instead of flying right through it. (Which was especially the case for the very first set of waterfalls in that level...the waterfall was practically right beside the water flag poll outside it.) As for the group of 3 sets of waterfalls and a water pillar, maybe I was just making it more complicated than it seemed. I wasn't ever mashing the button to keep him jumping up. I thought you had to do it all in one motion, with one jump off each waterfall, ping-ponging quickly. I'll give your suggestion a shot. The game is always at the rental store, so it should be easy to pick up again. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
^^ Crap, can you just come to my house, Silerwolf.
Got the game back from Blockbuster, and have been trying out your technique for an hour now, and still can't make it across the 2 sets of 3 waterfalls. I'm button mashing the jump, but every time the prince should grab onto the water poll in the middle of the 3 waterfalls, he doesn't....looks like he might, but he just falls straight down. I'm beginning to think it's just not in the cards for me to finish this one. Damn it!!! Ha.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts