AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shame this is only on Quibi.

‘Princess Bride’ At-Home Remake With Joe Jonas, Sophie Turner, Common, Tiffany Haddish & More Set At Quibi
By Denise Petski

Beginning Monday, Quibi will stream an all-star remake of The Princess Bride filmed by actors at home while in quarantine.

The re-creation, first reported by Vanity Fair, will feature an A-list cast that includes couples Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner, Common and Tiffany Haddish, Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka, and Chris Pine and Annabelle Wallis, along with Hugh Jackman, Jennifer Garner, Elijah Wood, Jon Hamm, Beanie Feldstein, Lucas Hedges, Jenna Ortega, Jack Black, David Oyelowo, Keegan-Michael Key, Patton Oswalt, Josh Gad, Andy Serkis, Diego Luna, Taika Waititi and Zazie Beetz and more.

Directed by Jason Reitman, the project will see Common playing the heroic Westley (originated by Cary Elwes), Haddish as Princess Buttercup (first played by Robin Wright), and Jackman as the villainous Humperdinck, to name a few.

The Princess Bride’s director, Rob Reiner, will also appear in the remake, along with Fred Savage, who reprises his role as the grandson in the film.

Beginning June 29, Quibi will release chapters of the made-at-home movie daily for two weeks.

The remake also is aiding a good cause. As part of the project, Quibi has donated $1 million to chef José Andrés’ charity World Central Kitchen, which provides meals to those who have been most affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/princess-bride-at-home-remake-with-joe-jonas-sophie-turner-common-tiffany-haddish-more-set-at-quibi-1202971418/

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
It would be fun to watch. Of course, nothing can improve upon the original, but I don’t think they’re trying to do that. I would consider this a tribute to it. Just like the live versions of the Norman Lear shows. Hopefully, it doesn’t suck.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
The real shame is that anyone would ever even think to re-make this movie.

As Cary Elwes wrote in response to rumours a year or so ago about a re-make: "There’s a shortage of perfect movies in this world. It would be a pity to damage this one."

Damned straight.
I would donate to the charity of their choice if they withdrew their plans and vowed never to speak of it again.

·
Registered
17,470 Posts
It would be fun to watch. Of course, nothing can improve upon the original, but I don’t think they’re trying to do that. I would consider this a tribute to it. Just like the live versions of the Norman Lear shows. Hopefully, it doesn’t suck.
A tribute would be a great remake like "The Thomas Crown Affair". This is more like the "CHiPs" or "Dukes of Hazzard" movie abominations.

I would donate to the charity of their choice if they withdrew their plans and vowed never to speak of it again.
Granted, it's for a noble cause, but Miracle Max probably still wouldn't recommend reviving it.

·
Registered
26,852 Posts
I don't know why people are being such downers about this. From what it sounds like, it's more of a fan tribute by these actors than anything else. Just something these folks are doing to pass the time while they're quarantined. It's certainly not a re-make of the movie. And it's apparently for a good cause. What's not to like?

That said, if it requires a paid subscription to Quibi I'll never see it.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Inconceivable.

Yeah, I went there. :)
Now that I have actually read more about what this really is, I partially rescind my initial negative reaction. When I see the words “Princess Bride” and “Remake” in the same sentence, my default response is “f$&k off”.

But that’s not really what this is in the traditional sense of the word “remake”.

That said, I don’t find the idea of Quibi the least bit interesting, and having to watch anything daily over a couple weeks is also not for me. Had it been available on one of the multiple content services I already pay for, and if it played in an end to end fashion, I would have given it a look.

·
Registered
26,487 Posts
Calling this a "remake" is extremely misleading. It's essentially just a filmed version of one of Jason Reitman's live script reads, which he's been doing in Los Angeles for nearly a decade:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Read

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Just found a segment from this series. If you’re a fan of PB then you’ll appreciate it. Various actors recreate the scenes separately and then they’re edited together. Obviously low budget and low production value, but if you are someone who can recite the lines from memory then you’ll enjoy it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts