AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at this TV yesterday. Finally found a 16 x 9 that will fit my Entertainment Center (my wife will be happy) and the PQ is equal to or better than my previous B&O TV. I have a progressive scan DVD player (DV-37) and will have (future purchase) a HD STB for OTA reception but most viewing will be 4 x 3 cable.

Please help with the following:

How do you watch 4 x 3 content?

If black bars exist on the sides, what about burn-in?

Does this TV have a stretch mode so 4 x 3 content can fill the screen (some of the new 34" 16 x 9 TVs have various options for 4 x 3 content)?

Can you fill the screen with Anamorphic DVDs formatted at 1:85-1 or are there thin black bars, top and bottom?

I don't have much space behind the TV (only 1-1/4"). Have any of you used 90 degree adaptors for the BNC connectors? Are there 90 degree power chords available?

This has to work so your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I watch content both in 4:3 mode and stretch mode. The monitor does offer a stretch mode that is very watchable. 1:85 anamorphic DVD do not have bars. Too bad you live so far away as I have my UHD-3200 version of this monitor for sale at only $1250 on ebay. Oh well, it is a great HD picture. You will enjoy!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Make sure you are buying the latest version which if not out now will be out by end of year! http://www.princetonhdtv.com/Product...S.aspPrinceton AF3.0HDS Product Description

Like the AF3.0HD, the AF3.0HDS combines unparalleled performance,

accuracy, versatility and value in a feature-rich professional monitor.

The AF3.0HDS also includes an active RS-232 port which is used in

conjunction with system controllers such as AMX and Crestron. Suitable

for broadcast, professional/commercial, presentation and home theater

applications, the AF3.0HDS is an absolute standout in side-by-side

monitor comparisons.

The AF3.0HDS is a high-performance 30V direct-view 16:9 HDTV monitor supporting all ATSC HD formats, video and computer applications. The AF3.0HDS is designed to the exacting specifications of Joe Kane, former Chairman of the Society of Motion Pictures and Television Engineers (SMPTE) Working Group on Professional/Studio monitors.

32" (30" viewable) color HDTV monitor

Toshiba 16:9 CRT with Microfilterâ„¢

0.63mm Super Fine Pitch

Displays all ATSC HDTV formats

Special color-corrected phosphors

Factory presets memories for 480p, 720p, 1080i, video VGA-XGA

Wide video bandwidth: 40MHz

30-50kHz horizontal scanning frequency

2 sets of YPbPr to RGB Transcoder matrices. 1 each for HDTV and 480p

Built-in video line doubler for enhanced resolution from standard video sources

3 Color temperature settings: 6500° Kelvin, 5400° Kelvin and "custom", user-defined setting

Multiple inputs support all HD, video, computer applications

True 75 Ohm BNC connectors for YPbPr, RGBHV and Video

2 Remote Controls are provided: User/Installation

FCC Class B certification

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

CRT Size/Type 32" (30V) Invar shadow mask CRT with Microfilter

Pitch 0. 63mm (center)

Resolutions Supported 480p, 720p, 1080i, , 640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768

Active Display Area Overscan: 26.3" x 14.9" (668mm x 378mm)

Compatibility 480p, 1080i, 720p HDTV formats. Video and S-Video.1024x768 @ 60Hz, VESA 800x600 @ 72Hz, VESA 640x480 @ 60Hz

Signal Compatibility YPbPr, RGBHV, VGA Video and S-video

H-Frequency 30-50kHz

V-Frequency 50 ~ 120Hz

Video bandwidth 40 MHz

Input Signal YPbPr, RGBHV (5 BNC connectors) RGBHV on VGA Connector Video:Y:1.0Vp-p (Picture 0.7VPP, Sync 0.3Vp-p) PbPr +/-0.35Vp-p (positive polarity) 75W

RGB: 0.7Vp-p (positive polarity) 75W

Sync, H, V: TTL level (Pos/Neg) for video, TTL (NEG) for VESA

0.7V p-p (positive polarity) 75 W

Sync: H, V TTL Pos/Neg for video, TTL negative for VESA

Composite Video 1.0V p-p RCA-type

S-Video (YC) Mini DIN-type

Built-in Speakers 2 each. 3" x 2"

Audio Inputs 6 pair stereo audio inputs (RCA connectors)

Input Connector/Cable 15-pin mini D-sub, 6 ft. (1.8m)

User Controls (front panel and remote control)

Front: Power On/Off, OSD Control Buttons

PreVu™ OSD: Input select, Volume, Mute, Menu, Color Temperature, Aspect Ratio, Contrast, Black level, Color YPbPr, Color NTSC, Tint NTSC, Horizontal Position, Horizontal Size, Horizontal phase, Vertical Position, Vertical Size, Vertical phase, Trapezoid, Rotation,, Pincushion, Pin-Balance, Geometry, Masking, Degauss, BBE® ON-OFF, Recall

Plug & Play DDC1/DDC2AB

Power Supply 90 ~ 260 VAC, 47/63Hz universal

Power Consumption On:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Forget the AF series, the new AS3.0HDW and AS3.2HD are comming out mid this month, wait for them, I contacted Princeton Graphics and they assured me they will be comming out. You can find them both at digitalconnection.com for much lower then msrp too (AS3.2HD is $2599 compared to $2899).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help. Just a couple more questions:

Can a learning remote 'learn' the Princeton codes?

What is the current selling price for a new AF3.0HD?

I went back to the dealer yesterday and spent some time viewing one. The PQ is exactly what I have been looking for plus all the possible adjustments make it a dream machine, IMHO.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
498 Posts
The AS3.2HD is flat, its a 4:3 and is essentially the Ai3.2HD model without the Ch1 functionality (who needs it anyways), the AS3.0HDW is the same tube as the AF I think but the electronics are better, inc. the SiLo line doubler (the 3.2 has that as well). On a side note. The AS3.2HD has a 16:9 mode which equates to a 29" widescreen TV. The HDW is a 30" widescreen, (I've said it several time and I'll say it again) I'm going to buy the 32" 4:3 set now and use the anamorphic squeeze, and in several years' when widescreen is king I'll buy a new larger RPTV or projector or LCOS or whatever is the new thing.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Some of the posts strayed from the original questions, so I'll address them from personal experience.

1) You watch 4:3 material "as is" in the 1.33 mode--don't worry about "burn in"; I've watched standard cable and now DTV feeds for 2 years with no problem. The key is to watch some 16:9 material (like DVD's) every once-in-a-while (I watch some HDNET almost everyday now).

2) One of the biggest secrets about this TV is that you modify almost everything, INCLUDING the aspect ratio controls. I have made the following geometric mods using AVS LD's, DVD's, etc.

-> 1.33 mode = use for regular NTSC (no change except for overscan)

-> Euro mode = adjusted to "blow up" NTSC letterbox material (like ER)

-> 1.77 mode = use for regular HDTV (no change)

-> Anamorphic = adjusted so that 1.85 DVD's FILL THE SCREEN; this also means slightly smaller black bars for 2.35

This is one of the few HDTV's that don't lock you into a certain geometry setting.

3) I've programmed all the necessary controls into my RC2000 remote.

I wouldn't wait for the new one--the line doubler in this one is adequate for it's screen size (and you'll probably use progressive scan anyway). Also, the 4:3 version doesn't give you any bigger 16:9 screen for HDTV/DVD material--which is why you would buy this monitor anyway. It's only about 2 feet deep, and you can overhand the fron a bit if you need more connector room. Feel free to email me directly if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Sorry but I disagree, and strongly suggest you get the new 30 inch 16:9 over the original as the new one has the superior line doubler and built in NSTC tuner.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have called several local dealers. Two of them told me they had nothing but problems with PG TVs. I find that hard to believe. The members of this forum don't hold back and I haven't heard anything negative about these sets.

Does anyone know who carries PG on-line (other than digitalconnection)?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I am very interested in the 3.0. Does anyone know if there are any dealers in the Boston area, so I could actually see it? I'm in RI, but I know there are no Princeton dealers here. I'd be willing to drive around New England to decide if I want to buy this TV.

Any ideas appreciated.

SMK

·
Registered
755 Posts
I believe there's a dealer in Marblehead MA. If you go to Princetongraphics.com they have a dealer locater. I was going to get one a couple years back but lucked out and got the Unity Motion version for a very good price.

If the new version has a good line doubler, it is worth waiting. I did end up getting the DVDO line doubler and it was an obvious improvement over the monitors line doubler.

Outside of front projection, I still think it's the best HD monitor available.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A few of you have referred to a new line doubler in the AS3.0HDW as being worth waiting for. I viewed a non-progressive DVD on an AF3.0HD and the picture was excellent (I think this setup, using an S-video input, would be using the monitor's internal line doubler).

The NTSC tuner is of no importance to me since I will be using a cable box, HD-STB and PS-DVD player.

For you current owners, how do you rate an NTSC feed through cable or STB (using the internal line doubler)?

I'm ready to order one.

Thanks,

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stanton
Also, the 4:3 version doesn't give you any bigger 16:9 screen for HDTV/DVD material--which is why you would buy this monitor anyway. It's only about 2 feet deep, and you can overhand the fron a bit if you need more connector room. Feel free to email me directly if you have any other questions.
I'm not suggesting anyone get the 4:3 32" because it has a larger 16:9 then the 16:9 30". I'm suggesting you get it because its 16:9 mode is only 1" smaller then the 30" HDW (30 vs 29), AND you still get a sweet 4:3 view for ALL the 4:3 content that is out there and will be out there for a long long time. You can say everything will be HD by 2006, but I'm sure (and other people as well) that it will be longer then that. And anyways, once most stuff is true wiedscreen HD, just buy another (better) TV then, you know you will. Thats why I'm getting the 4:3.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
In reference to the latest question about NTSC via STB, that's exactly how I use mine (someone else does this also). I basically watch the following throught the component input via my HD-100 in "always 1080i" mode:

--cable (ATT)

--satellite (DTV)

--OTA (ABC/CBS/NBC/UPN--FOX doesn't count!)

I occassionaly watch cable via the S-Video input (through my VCR) and it doesn't look as good as the upconverted STB version (which shouldn't be surprising).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sizam, I have to agree with you about the 3.2 vs. the 3.0. While I too look forward to the day when all content is WS, right now most of what my kids and I watch is still 4:3 and five years from now I'll have to replace several, if not all, of my standard sets anyway. By then the 3.2HD will probably be a relic.

For all the mention of this monitor being available on digitalconnection.com, I cannot find it on that site (or, for that matter, any other site) to save my life. All I get are this year's models. Is there a secret entrance on the site somewhere (an easter egg perhaps ;) ?

·
Registered
498 Posts
You can't find it because the AS series isn't out yet :) It comes out 'mid november' which should be any minute now. To get info on it, do a search in Google for AS3.2HD and you'll find the press releases, I contacted PG and they said it'll be out before this month's end. And I contacted digital connection and they quoted me the $2599 price once its out.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I bought the AF3.0HD back in March 2001 through a direct purchase from Princeton Graphics via Widescreen Review magazine. I think these were unsold units under the old defunct Unity Motion. I paid 3000 for it. It is a monitor, and the line doubler built in is not supposed to have very good 3:2 pulldown. Therefore I ordered the DVDO line doubler (available under the Princeton name). I have it connected to an interlaced DVD player via S-video cables to the DVDO progressive scan line doubler and then VGA cable breakout to component input of the PG. The picture is awesome, and almost as good as HDTV.

I also use a Directv STB (HDTV) to supply HDTV and cable to the PG. The picture is wonderful with HDTV sources, but is kind of soft and fuzzy with standard NTSC cable or DBS.

I use 90 degree BNC connectors because I don't have much room in the back of the cabinet, and it works just fine.

DVDs fill the entire 16X9 screen with no problem. There are black bars on the side of regular cable 4X3 or DBS 4X3, but I hardly ever watch 4X3. If an HDTV program on the HDTV STB is in 4X3 it has grey bars on the side which is not supposed to cause burn in.

The newer models were not available when I bought this, and there were almost no other direct view HDTV sets available then.

This is a wonderful monitor, but it is a monitor not a TV set.

Larry Raulston

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:
...it is a monitor not a TV set.
Is there a meaningful difference?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.