AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for feedback on the long term reliability of Princeton Graphics as well as response time for repairs if needed. Any info greatly appreciated. I'm looking into adding Princeton Graphics to my projects and just want to get an idea of their track record on these matters. Thanks

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Nobody can really say unless you can buy the exact same model, made on the exact same assembly line that their's came from 5 years ago.

This is a constant headache. Some models from some companies last forever. Another model from the same company is terrible. Model changes are routine as are country of assembly changes, assembly line changes quality control changes, etc.

Then there is the problem of companies "trading on their good name." A company gets a reputation for making good products for a few years, so they cash in by making a really bad one at low cost to them, but charge high to maximize the margin. People pay more for the rep. Only a year or two later do people find out that they have been had.

This goes on in all lines of products, not just monitors. Ask someone about Hoover vacuum cleaners. If they haven't bought one in a while, they will say very good because they used to be very good. If they bought a Hoover in the last ten years, they will say junk because the plastic wheels fall off in 6 months.

It's just that in the PC biz, time is compressed. Where Hoover took 40 years to build up their good name and tore it down in ten, Seagate (for example) took 5/1 and about the same for Western Digital.

So it's a crap shoot. And anyone that tells you otherwise is not well informed.

Looking at Princeton models five years from manufacture now, I would say slightly less than everage. But that means absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The first challenge will be getting anything new from Princeton. Far as I can tell they make a new product line and build 5 sets: 1 for the CES and 4 to send to the HDTV Magazines, then they think up another product line. Who would have thought a TVs would ever become vaporware.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I owned a AF3.0HD at $4,000 the first year Joe kane configured it out, I sold it because it was too small. I did however only lose $125 on the shipping ater owning for a year. I got back my $4,000, minus $125 of the shipment cost from Indiana.

My uncle lived out there and wanted to visit us, I asked him if he could take the shipment and bring it to my apartment and set it up, what a tiny thing it was. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sizam
The first challenge will be getting anything new from Princeton. Far as I can tell they make a new product line and build 5 sets: 1 for the CES and 4 to send to the HDTV Magazines, then they think up another product line. Who would have thought a TVs would ever become vaporware.
If you're talking about their AR-series 4:3 direct-view models, buy the CTX or Monivision-branded versions. Princeton doesn't actually design or manufacture those (Monivision does).

The Princeton Graphics AR2.7FTX is currently available, in stock, AND SHIPPING, from a number of online computer stores, as the CTX MS2900VF. Meanwhile, the PG AR2.7FTX (or any of their ARx.xXTX models) is nowhere to be seen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.