1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
They've got the AF3.0HD which is smaller and no flat-glass. Still pretty cool but I'd go with the Sampo 34" unit.

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
As an owner of the Unity Motion OEM version of the Princeton AF3.0HD HDTV monitor, I had an interesting conversation with one of the Princeton guys back in 1999 (when I bought my unit).

It was my understanding that Princeton's original plans to release an essentially larger version of my monitor was being held back for *technical* reasons; however, I'm sure the small numbers of monitors sold (or their high price) didn't help development either.

Anyway, it seems that their high performance standards necessitated the custom development of display driver electronics which (apparantly) ultimately did not "meet spec". Remember, this monitor had a small dot pitch, wider scanning range, and better color reproduction than just about anything else (and still does). So, the problem wasn't the *tube* (which Toshiba has been making for awhile) but the means to *drive* tube (yoke, etc.--but I'm no TV expert).

In the end, they still haven't come out with a larger 16:9 monitor (which is wider than a 4:3 counterpart), and I'm still amazed by it's performance (although I do wish it were bigger). I'm finally enjoying HDTV via the Sony HD-100 and closely following issues with that piece of gear.

BTW, I hope this AF3.0HD never breaks, because I fear that I wouldn't be able to either find someone to fix it or afford it if I did!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chard -

I'm in Seattle, and I've got one. Come on up and see it sometime.

(I think it is very well built).

------------------

All help appreciated

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi

Just my two cents( maybe more like five or six cents), but I too am frustrated by Princeton "mystery products" or "vaporware". I can completely understand that they may not release a product on the date specified, or not at all, that happens. I just wish the news regarding the delay or cancellation of a Princeton product was as easy to find as the news about the upcoming release of one that ultimately never arrives.

I was also wondering about the AF3.4HDF. A lot of people are also waiting for the PSC-1500 and the HDT-2000.

It's Princeton's high performance, though, that keeps me coming back. I have the Ai3.6HD in my sights right now, even though they went and added an uneccesary internet capability and keyboard/remote to a perfectly good 4:3 HDTV monitor(it was the AS3.6HD, and I wanted it back then, too). If I want to get on the internet and email with my TV, I'll hook it up in an HTPC. Just give me the VGA inputs. Don't go and integrate what you assume I need into the monitor for me. But, I digress.

Regarding Princeton monitor performance, IMO I don't think any other direct-view quite matches up.

I know Princeton has been making computer monitors for years, and while the specifications on the TV's actual capabilities speak for themselves, I have to wonder about the actual build quality (since I've never owned a Princeton Graphics product). There's a difference between holding up well in the computer room as a monitor and holding up well in the living-room as a household television.

So, Stanton, since you've already expressed your concern about what you'd do if your AF3.0HD should break, may I ask: Do you think it will? Does the product have a sturdy feel and tight construction? What about the remote, have you dropped it on a hardwood floor yet? Your opinion as an owner of a PG product is valuable to me, especially before I go and save and then spend upwards of three grand.

Thanks!

oh, BTW, between the Princetons and the DVM-3700, cvye, we seem to have the same budget/taste in home theater gear!

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I'll also verify that the Princetons are very well built and their standards for performance are extremely high. The remotes on the other hand are nothing to speak of, although they serve their functions.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
760 Posts
Chard and Kei,

I agree with you on the quality of these monitors.

On the latest 16:9 unreleased model saga, I met in person once with their rep in South Florida once. He was extremely enthusiastic then, speaking of a 38" model a la RCA's latest. He said it was just about to be released, and I confirm an above poster's remarks in that the only thing they were apparently finishing working on was the refining of their super-duper, special yoke system, which needed some international space station-type, rocket-science physics, as it had to meet very strict characteristics to be able to not cause pixel distortion in the far corners of the screen to achieve the levels they wanted. This is apparently a concern with the nature of the technology used with the limits of a shadow mask system which needs to yield results that meet or exceed the dot pitch standards PG adheres to.

Well, it's now been almost two years since I spoke to this guy. I guess that they must have found these obstacles too hard to surmount at a price that was reasonable for them to market their product. Believe it or not, it can get pretty expensive manufacturing a large monitor with a dot pitch smaller than what current technology makes possible. After all, who doesn't want to see a monitor with the crispness and liquidity of a .25mmm dot pitch, in a 60" Plasma configuration? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Just not possible by today's technology at a price mortals can afford. Not yet.

I think this is the problem behind this mistery, and they have decided against putting out a product that at worst only matched the performance of their competitors'.

Luca

[This message has been edited by propeller_beach (edited 04-28-2001).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
All,

I have snipped out portions of this email, but the point is that Princeton

claims that they are shipping the HDT-2000. I haven't followed up yet

with my local dealer to confirm.

Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 1:40 PM

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in Princeton. We are shipping the HDT-2000.

I will gladly have one of our representatives contact you with a dealer

who is close to you.

Thank you again,

John Lowrey

Princeton
www.princetongraphics.com

2801 S. Yale Street

Santa Ana, CA 92704

T-Direct: 888-933-0042

F-Direct: 314-822-9297

T: 714-751-8405 ext. 1361

F: 714-751-0154

Alternate e-mail: [email protected]

-----Original Message-----

>> snipped

the HDTV Set-top Box HDT-2000 (ATSC & NTSC Tuner)

>> snipped

This product sounds like a super product, but I can find no dealer that

knows about it and supposedly Princeton Graphics is shipping it.

Could you please explain what happened to this promising product?

>> snipped

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have respect for PG holding to high standards, and I can understand how that sometimes delays or even cancels a product.

HOWEVER, I waited quite a while for their DVD player that never materialized and for which there was no official announcement of "never mind." The press release for the HDT-2000 said, quite clearly, that the product was shipping. Well, if it was shipping, it wasn't shipping to any dealer I could find. Has anyone ever seen one? They should hold their press releases to the same standard as their dot pitch.

Claude

·
Registered
675 Posts
Interesting. They're shipping, but nobody on AVS forums, presumably a hotbed of potential customers, has ever run across one.

In any case, as far as I'm concerned, too late, because I ordered a Samsung SIR-T150.

Claude

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.