AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got rid of all my show based recordings and made them theme based. For one thing, I can much more easily record a random show at will with no conflicts.

Questions/Comments:

1) Is there any criteria for theme recording, like if the show has 10 episodes that day on various channels, it will record all?

2) Seems like it is stupid to re record the same exact show over and over again.

Any source for priorities of guaranteed recordings?:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, one problem is that Theme recordings are the lowest priority. Show based recordings have better priority, but have a tendency to not record shows if they are not in the same time slot or on another channel. I personally set up both for a show I really want to make sure gets recorded, but I don't use "guaranteed recording" very often since many of my shows don't interfere with each other and allows me to record more shows. (example: I set my replay to record 15 hours of "whose line is it anyway?" [as a keyword/title] but not "guaranteed".....but that will record "full day marathons" of the show on Comedy Central AND the NEWER shows on ABC no matter WHAT day they are shown. [since I have found them to air them weds, thurs AND Fridays], that's up to 30 episodes! But since it's not guaranteed, can be automatically deleted anytime something REALLY important is shown)

So there is a suggestion for ya!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Even with theme channels, a show should stay on your box for 24 hours or until it is watched (whichever comes first) before it is recorded over. So if you have a 4 hour them on "Full House" (like my girlfriend's daughter USED to have) it will record up to 8-episodes per day. If you have a 1-hour theme, it should only record the first two episodes each day.

I find for shows like this, and for shows like ER that my girlfriend watches, that it is better to create a show-based guaranteed channel to get the new episode, limitited to one day/time, and then a non-guaranteed theme, to get one or two extra episodes. You do need to leave some free, non-guaranteed space on the drive to ensure your non-guaranteed programs are always there, so you need to manage your usage. But with "Full House" on upteen times a day, and ER on 10 times a week, I don't want to tie up the tuner from other stuff.

Hope this helps,

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.