AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 Prism Inc. demonstrated their high definition front projector at CES2007.

The following is an excerpt from a marketing handout:

Prism Incorporated, in cooperation with Musco Sports Lighting LLC, proudly introduces disruptive projector technology. The demonstration of precision controlled solid state light sources conquers the limitations of conventional projectors with respect to color gamut, lifetime, audible noise, and range of applications.

- Native 1080p Resolution

- HDMI 1.3 Compliant

- Extended Gamut (xvYCC Capable IEC 61966-2-4)

- Screen Adaptive Contrast Control (SACC™)

- Lamp Lifetime Greater Than 20k Hours

- Supports Screen Diagonals 96+ Inches

- Whisper Quiet (30 dBA)

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
No lumens given?

Sometimes what is not said tells the story better than what is said.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I looked for this but couldn't find it.

It's easy to get lost with 2900 exhibitors

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Suite 1701 in the Wynn Hotel

Prism's VP of Engineering told me the D65 white point is 16 Ft Lamberts at 96" diagonal on a 1.0 gain screen, which means (according to http://www.carltonbale.com/home-thea...er-calculator/ ) 438 lumens.

If you consider the fact that the lumen maintenance of an LED source is considerably better (70% @ 20k Hours), then after a few hundred hours the projector is brighter than most.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Octobersky,

Why wouldn't that info be in the literature? They could definitely sell it as a "500 Lumen" projector if they wanted to (max output without regards to color temp) or just simply state the info you just mentioned. If they are confident in their numbers, they should state them formally in a press release not "Pssst, hey buddy, this projector does 16ft-L on a 96" screen" or "Supports a 96" screen". I would love to see the projector covered by Widescreen Review to back these numbers up.

The good news is at the rate LEDs are progressing 600 lumens might be around the corner. And I have been a champion of LED illumination for about 3 years on the forum. My next projector will likely be LED based so I am as eager as anyone.

Most HT projectors don't put out over 400 lumens at D65 once the bulb has been used for a few hundred hours so the achievement is impressive.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
13,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobersky /forum/post/0

Suite 1701 in the Wynn Hotel

Prism's VP of Engineering told me the D65 white point is 16 Ft Lamberts at 96" diagonal on a 1.0 gain screen, which means (according to http://www.carltonbale.com/home-thea...er-calculator/ ) 438 lumens.

If you consider the fact that the lumen maintenance of an LED source is considerably better (70% @ 20k Hours), then after a few hundred hours the projector is brighter than most.

Most definitiely. The big challenge we have now with UHP and similar lamps is that we need tons of lumens because in about 500 hours we can easily be looking at losing HALF our lumen or better.

If this pj still has 70% of its lumens at 20,000 hours, I'd have to assume it would have nearly all its lumens at 1000 - 2000 hours. This makes a huge difference. For my 106" diag 1.3 gain Firehawk I'd be DELIGHTED to have 438 lumens for a few thousand hours...

Was there any more info available on specs? I'd be very curious to know what the on/off CR is (potentially infinite or close to it with OLED?), ANSI CR, and I'd like to see what the gamut measured.

Any info on when this pj would be available or its price? I wonder how good its optics are?

I'm surprised by the 30db rating. Many bulb pjs are below that spec and if anything I'd expect it to have much lower cooling conditions and fan noise.

Did anyone see this pj in action and if so what did you think?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I forgot to mention the unit will weigh about 30Lbs cost about $8,000 and have 3 separate lenses like a crt projector except that they will be aligned vertically instead of horizontally. I don't think that they suggest a screen size of more than 96"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.