AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice the Norway company Prismasonic has the anamorphic lens V200 for total of £425

I have a NEC HT1000

Anamorphic lenses get a lot of good press stateside, with a few models but prices hover around £1000

This Prismasonic lens seems well respected. And, I have been over their Web page

Does anyone have experience on these lenses and offer any comments before I consider buying

I know NEC do a lens but it is not avaialable separte yet and is very expensive £1000+

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The vertical squeeze model has gotten positive comments here but the horizontal stretch model seems to have problems with color separation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

I have read this before with the Horizontal stretch, but not as bad as that thread

Although agree a bit worrying.

I wonder if the Vertical squeeze is as bad I'm sure I've read people not so dissapointed with the vertical V200 somewhere.

Agree better lenses around but the price for us Brits sure seems attractive at £425 for the V200. Other lenses will be £1200.

Has no one got this lens ?? or prepared to comment ?

The HT1000 is a great projector (I quickly got used to rainbows)

Probaby asking to much if this Prismasonic lense actually improves it, it's a tough question.

Thanks for the help people

Bob

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the lens for a few months now. Use it with a 2000 Lumen 4:3 pj.

The only neg is it does reflect some images above the pj, but all lenses reflect some light; however this does not bother me, I just cover the top of the pj lens and that takes care of that.

Since mine is table mounted, the flexibility of this lens is the best, totally adjustable from 4 X 3 to 2.35 X 1.

I would not be without it with a 4 X 3 pj. It only makes for a better pic.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If you do a search on "prismasonic", you'll find more reviews on the V200. I think one problem with it is that it reflects light back to the pj so people were worried about how that affected contrast. But prismasonic is about to release the same lenses with an antireflective coating to help boost brightness/decrease reflection. Not sure how well it will work though.... and it is more expensive. Also, the H200/V200 doesn't seem to boost brightness like panamorphs do. The main benefit of this specific lens is adjustable stretch. But other than that, I think the V200 lenses get the job done by giving you increased resolution and smaller pixel density.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems prismasonic well regarded for the price.

New lens out the V500, another £150 ish. Reflective glass so less light reflected back at the projector.

Not sure what the issue is if your happy enough with the brightness as is,

which I am

Can anyone comment on any improvements in image using anamorphic lenses on the HT1000 (Prismasonic comments nice). I'm not botherd by pixel/grid structure as is, and the bars above and below do not really bother me that much although nice to reduce these an the grid structure of course.

Some people say the anamorphic lens improves the picture (must be differneces in scaling in the projector and the increase pixel density). Some shots show this but difficult to quantify from photos. Any real life experiece ?

Still hoping someone will agree on it being a good purhase for HT1000 and improves the overall image.

I'm planning on keeping the HT1000 for a while

Wife would cut them off If I changed, LOL

Anyway ,thanks for advice

Bob

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I've seen and used it.

the value of the V200 is that's adjustable(any AR you want) and if you sit closer to your screen the compression does reduce pixels. This can be an obvious improvement for lower resolution projectors.

It doesn't really add any brightness to speak of. No big deal

I like it. Optical coating may even give better CR

All in all I think anamorphic lenses add minimal improvements if you sit more than 1.7 screen widths or more back.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The biggest difference I think the anamorphic lens adds to the HT1000 is w/ HD signals. Without the lens, HD doesn't look completely "HD" like.. not as sharp and lifelike. Add on the lens and HD finally has the pop, sharp picture that HD is known for.

With DVD, the improvements aren't as drastic... pixel structure is slightly reduced but nothing monumental. I sit around 1.2X away from hte screen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interseting, thanks for jumping in Alan

Wonder about costs and availablity to the public. I seem to have the inpression costs would be high (only fair if a good lens though)

Also carriage/delivery to UK people.

Great if a UK distributer

Are you going to carry the lens yourself ?

Think I'll start some research, before going with the Prismasonic, just to make sure

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I was able to test drive both the Prismasonic V100 liquid filled and V200 solid prism lenses. The V200 was the better lens and a very good performer. I agree there is some image reflected back out of the top and bottom of the lens. I ended up putting a mask top and bottom to eliminate the light spill.

The only lens I have found to be a better optical performer, is the Panamorph solid prism lens. The Panamorph is a little sharper and has less color fringing as you move away from the center of the image. But the difference is not dramatic, and something some folks might not ever notice in a projected image. But I could see the difference.

The Prismasonic V200 is the larger lens in form. But it also has adjustable top and bottom prisms. I found these adjustable prisms did a great job of dialing in perfect aspect ratio from 1.33:1 to 2.35:1 format movies. Although, as you compress the image beyond 1.85:1 the color fringing and focus away from center becomes more of an issue.

I own the Panamorph now, but I still miss the V200.

I also test drove the Optimorph, and the image quality was inferior to both the Panamorph and V200. The new Optimorph may have corrected this short fall, but it is something to keep in mind when making your final decision.

If you want to get the best bang for the buck, I might have to say the Prismasonic V200 is the right lens. The Panamorph at nearly twice the price, may be hard to for some folks to justify, but the advantage in image quality was worth the extra $$$ for me.

Good luck with your lens shopping.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I know its only a press release but
Quote:
the Optimorph increases... contrast
hmmm...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.