AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't meant to be a definitive review, but I know that many people are considering these anamorphic lenses and since I have both I wanted to give a few quick impressions. I just got the PSO-HT1000 a few days ago and just tried the V-200 for the first time a couple of hours ago.

For those that don't know, the PSO-HT1000 attaches directly to the projector and the V-200 goes in front of the projector. Neither one has liquid inside, so they are fine with the HT1000 that exhausts the heat out the front. The PSO-HT1000 is fixed compression and the V-200 has variable compression. I figured the variable compression would be good for compressing close to 2.0:1 or 2.1:1 for 2.35:1 movies. The PSO-HT1000 is probably half the weight of the V-200, or less.

I'll get to the first thing that surprised me. I was playing with the V-200 and noticed that the panels inside reflected quite a bit of light. When I put the PSO-HT1000 on the image felt brighter, but I didn't see the same thing with the V-200. So, I put up a reasonably white screen from the XBOX and got my Eye One sensor out for ColorFacts. I pointed it at the center of the screen and took some quick measurements. These are meant to be definitive, but here is what I got (measured multiple times and got varying numbers):

No extra lens:

35.90 - 36.11

PSO-HT1000:

43.11 - 44.78

V-200:

about 2.0:1 = 31.88

about 16:9 = 34.20 - 31.79 (not sure why this varied so much but I might have tweaked the lens position in between)

Other than the PSO-HT1000 increasing the light I measured and the V-200 reducing the light I noticed that my increase with the PSO-HT1000 seemed to be over 20%. This compares to the 14% someone else measured and the 15% that the company advertises.

The light reduction of the V-200 concerns me for 2 reasons. One is that a big reason for these lenses is to increase brightness and another one is that we should be concerned about where this light is going. Most of us buy the HT1000 for the great CR and if the V-200 is killing the ANSI CR then this is not a good thing.

I don't really have enough evidence on other things to give definitive conclusions. If I had to pick now I would say that the color separation seemed slightly less on the PSO-HT1000 and the bowing was slightly less on the left side of my image with the V-200. I'll have to look again to make sure this wasn't when I changed the zoom, since most of the bowing goes away when the projector is placed with the zoom set to the smallest image.

Another thing I should mention is that if you are ceiling mounting the projector the fact that the PSO-HT1000 attaches to the projector can be very nice. If you are always moving your projector around and putting it on a table at different places that will require different focus then the lens that goes in front might be just a little more convenient.

I'm not sure that everybody cares about aesthetics, but I think the PSO-HT1000 looks quite a bit better.

Anybody interested in a used V-200? :) I think it would be a better fit for a longer throw projector than for the HT1000.

--Darin

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Hi Darin...

Nice review.

I did not notice the reduced light with the V200, but then again I did not make a similar measurement. IMHO, the V200 did not reduce the image performance of the HT1000 in terms of contrast and brightness.

I saw the two lenses as being be different in their strengths/weaknesses.

The V200 variable compression is very nice option in helping the presentation of various movie aspect ratio formats.

The PSO-HT1000 has overall better optics and more uniform clarity edge to edge. I don't know that this advantage is easily seen when comparing with the V200 at similar vertical compression, but the difference is there is you look hard.

I had a hard time chosing between the V200 and the PSO. Iended up keeping the PSO and selling the V200, but I could have been very happy with the V200 had the PSO not worked out.

I would love to see a variable compression PSO with the same quality optics as the HT1000.

If I were to give a rating, I would rate the PSO at 4.75 stars and the V200 at 4.5 stars, out of 5.

If you ever decide to sell the V200, let me know. ;-)

RJ

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
darin,

I may be interested in the lens...

Also what color is the housing? Can you remove the optics and paint it flat black or something? or some other light reflection treatment.

Also I have a special treat coming that you may be interested in coming to to Olympia to check out. I'll let you know...

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Tryg,

The V-200 is black. One thing you should know is that it isn't big enough for my M20 D-ILA. That projector has a 1.5x throw and the lens is recessed a little bit, so the V-200 didn't work. The older Panamorph works if I get it just right, though. I'm not sure how the throw is on your D-ILA and whether it would work for you. I can do some measurements if that helps.

I'll be interested to hear about what's up your sleave.

--Darin

·
Premium Member
24,983 Posts
I'd guess that part of the lower price and light throughput of the V200 is from not using AR (antireflective) coatings on the optics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.