AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has had the chance to toy with the new Prismiq or and other new streaming units?
http://www.prismiq.com

I am completely sick of my Compaq MC-1 and want a dedicated streaming unit to work with my pc. I've heard that the HP Digital Media Receiver is painfully slow in it's interface. I've also heard about some potential new units from Linksys. Even more rumors indicate the vaporware new Audiotrons to be the next big thing.

Has anyone found anything of worth in terms of new units? My only real demand is that it has a tv interface, as looking at the tiny readout on the current Audiotron is the one thing stopping me from buying one.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I tried the Prismiq and don't like it at all. If you think the HP is slow, wait 'til you try the Prismiq!

The only one I like so far is the Windows Media Center Edition. I know it's not what you want, but it is fast and powerful. I think it can used without ever needing to touch a mouse or keyboard.

I'm just waiting for the fine folks at Microsoft to let me buy just the software. I don't need a whole new PC.

~Jay

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the Prismiq. I love the idea. Implementation is poor. I think that the hardware has potential, but the software is WEAK, it feels like an alpha version. There is no way to search through your music, no categorizing, nothing. Hopefully they will be improving it with software updates.

On the good side, Video and Audio quality (when it works) are good. The latest update is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the prior release and added the Photos feature, so progress is being made.

I am sticking with it because I am a sucker for new tech.

Ken

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a Prismiq and returned it the next day... Horrible UI, basically unusable. While I'm an early adopter, I'm going to stick with the HP device (and other companies like that - I don't like these little companies trying to make products like this).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Wow... thanks. I've had the PrismIQ bookmarked on my desktop... I was going to seriously look into buying one on Monday. You guys have saved me a bunch of time... Thanks!

BigRed

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh yeah...

And what is up with Microsoft... why aren't they selling the Home Media Edition? Don't get that at all.

I've been thinking about building a HTPC and I'm not sure if I want it as the center of the system anyway. I personally, think they are just trying to protect us from ourselves. They want a minimum system so as not to get bad reviews.

But seriously...

BigRed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.