AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a 16X9 screen for my LT150 (only watch letterbox DVDs) and was wondering about building a masking system for the projector as well as the screen, to eliminate the halo.

I'm thinking of a cut-out that will be suspended in front of the lens. Is there any problem of light being reflected back into the lense? Assuming that it's placed well enough in front of the lense, are there any heat concerns? What is the best material or fabric to use?

regards,

chris

·
Registered
835 Posts
Actually, the problem you will have us not light reflecting back into the lens. Instead the edge of the masking panel in front of the lens will not be sharp when it is projected on the screen. You can see it for yourself if you just put a piece of paper in front of the lens. Your best bet is to put masking panels on your screen.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
60 Posts
If I had a 16:9 screen, I don't think I'd want these huge masks on the top and bottom to block out the rest of the light from the projector. Might as well just get a 4:3 screen in that case!

Maybe you could do a compromise, where you do most of the masking on the projector, just shy of the top/bottom of your 16:9 screen. Then you could mask just a little at the top and bottom of your screen to get rid of the fuzziness.

Aaron

·
Registered
891 Posts
That's what I do for my G15. The projector's mounted inverted and I have a piece of white paper (to match the trim around the projection hole) masking out the majority of the portion of the 4:3 image that I'm not using.

The "fuzziness area" is roughly as wide as the halo is (4-5"), so the black masking around the screen masks the halo on three sides and the fuzziness on the fourth. Works great.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yes Ive done this now and it works great, much easier than having panels on the 4:3 board when watching 16:9 movies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.