AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a VT25, which I love and is going in the living room.

However, I recently found a like-new PRO-101FD (for the entertainment room), which I went ahead and bought. I was waiting for next year's Panny, but I went ahead and bought the Kuro now. I hooked up the Kuro tonight...

I have a Blu-Ray player with twin-HDMI (two HDMI out slots), so I figured why not hook them both up to the same Blu-Ray player in the same room, turn off all the lights and see if I could tell the difference.

I was expecting them to both basically be the same except better blacks on the PRO-101FD. I was wrong.

The difference is totally staggering!!

First off, when they are both in the same (pitch-black) room, the blacks on the VT25 look totally grey. Like, grey. If I turn the Kuro off, the blacks on the VT25 look black again, but with them both running the VT25 can't compete. Especially the black bars on 2.40:1 movies...I can't even tell where the bezel begins/ends on the Kuro!

Secondly is the skin tones. There's a big difference. With them both in the same room, the people on the VT25 look they have orange spray-on-tans. It's quite noticeable with the PRO-101FD running. Skin tones are much more realistic on the Kuro.

Finally, and it's hard to describe...the colors on the Kuro look more realistic. When comparing them both, it's like the VT25's colors are "doctored up" or something.

In other words, WOW!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPlusTwo /forum/post/19649683

I have a VT25, which I love and is going in the living room.

However, I recently found a like-new PRO-101FD (for the entertainment room), which I went ahead and bought. I was waiting for next year's Panny, but I went ahead and bought the Kuro now. I hooked up the Kuro tonight...

I have a Blu-Ray player with twin-HDMI (two HDMI out slots), so I figured why not hook them both up to the same Blu-Ray player in the same room, turn off all the lights and see if I could tell the difference.

I was expecting them to both basically be the same except better blacks on the PRO-101FD. I was wrong.

The difference is totally staggering!!

First off, when they are both in the same (pitch-black) room, the blacks on the VT25 look totally grey. Like, grey. If I turn the Kuro off, the blacks on the VT25 look black again, but with them both running the VT25 can't compete. Especially the black bars on 2.40:1 movies...I can't even tell where the bezel begins/ends on the Kuro!

Secondly is the skin tones. There's a big difference. With them both in the same room, the people on the VT25 look they have orange spray-on-tans. It's quite noticeable with the PRO-101FD running. Skin tones are much more realistic on the Kuro.

Finally, and it's hard to describe...the colors on the Kuro look more realistic. When comparing them both, it's like the VT25's colors are "doctored up" or something.

In other words, WOW!

You need to calibrate both sets or at least use D Nice settings on both sets to get a reasonable baseline. I've seen skin tones look very accurate on the VT25's so if you've got a red push it leads me to believe there's a problem with the settings.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/19649716

You need to calibrate both sets or at least use D Nice settings on both sets to get a reasonable baseline. I've seen skin tones look very accurate on the VT25's so if you've got a red push it leads me to believe there's a problem with the settings.

I used the Spears & Munsil Blu-Ray on both sets...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/19649832

Interesting findings!

Take some pics for us and post them up.

I've actually got a thread dedicated to taking pics of both running side-by-side, on another forum.

I will try to get some good pics tomorrow. I was gonna do it tonight but I'm too tired.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great, another Kuro brag/worship thread. We all know that Kuro, especially the 101 in terms of black level, is the plasma holy grail. Stop beating over the head those of us who aren't fortunate enough to own one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
well its never to late to join the kuro club. i've got a brand new krp500m i'm willin to part with for the right offer.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
well it will be interesting to see the VT25 and Kuro ISF/THX calibrated to really tell the difference, but The Kuro is an amazing set but in my opinion for this side by side comparation to be fare i will definitely get both sets calibrate to them have a final conclusion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the Vt25 still wouldn't be a match for the Kuro after calibration. Not even close!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Im gonna agree with some of the guys in here. We know this is true. Please give it a rest. Some Kuro owners are becoming very snobby lately.

·
Banned
11,424 Posts
Give it a rest? The OP JUST acquired one and thought he'd report on his subjective comparative findings. I don't think that was snobby, just revelatory for him and he couldn't keep it to himself.

Heck, all these newcomer 101FD owners are making this 111FD owner jealous.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Agreed. I for one would like to see what the difference between .004 and .0005 MLL looks like.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vybz67 /forum/post/19650249

the Vt25 still wouldn't be a match for the Kuro after calibration. Not even close!

How do you know that?

in order to know that answer you will have to calibrate both sets and do a few testing, we know Kuro is going to win, but you dont know the full capacity of the VT25 yet, so it will be a really nice thing to see, at least for me!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/19650437

Give it a rest? The OP JUST acquired one and thought he'd report on his subjective comparative findings. I don't think that was snobby, just revelatory for him and he couldn't keep it to himself.

I agree. I enjoy reading posts that express this kind of excitement, regardless of what product/manufacturer is involved.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys, I wasn't trying to be snobbish or arrogant, etc...

Sorry if it came across that way.

I was just reporting what a visible difference it is to have both sets hooked up to the same Blu-Ray player in an identical room.

For the record, I still love my VT25. Going in living room.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPlusTwo

I was just reporting what a visible difference it is to have both sets hooked up to the same Blu-Ray player in an identical room.

If the comparison is not done double-blind then it is meaningless. If you don't understand why, I suggest a good experimental psychology textbook or a class at a local college.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPlusTwo

The problem is

1) You compared it with the best plasma that people can buy now NIB

2) You actually did a side by side test without using equipments... ie a layman test
It is easy to argue numbers but kuro IMHO is more than just black. It is the processor and colors as well.

And as you are aware the eye is not good at absolutes and can only see contrast. So when u place them side by side you can see the diff. So leave your plasmas separate and enjoy them as they are

·
Banned
11,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56
If the comparison is not done double-blind then it is meaningless. If you don't understand why, I suggest a good experimental psychology textbook or a class at a local college.
I agree that double blind testing is useful to be truly objective (especially in the case of audio testing), but perception of visual differences should be less subject to placebo, I'd think.

BTW, armed redoubt? Planning for the end of the world (or dollar)? I can't blame you, wish I wasn't stuck in suburbia.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.