AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a qsc rmx 4050 hd for my subs. The amp is great but does create alot of fan noise. It's more of a problem since I moved. The amp is in a smaller sealed room that amplifies an already loud fan.

I know the crown k2 is supposed to be a good fanless amp. I've also heard a fan mod can be done on the qsc plx series of amps. What other amps are available that can be modded for a quiet fan, or fanless.

Must be 1k watts per channel minimum. I've already tried the ep2500 so that's not an option.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Just about any amp can be modded. Some run cooler than others and it depends on what loads you are running as well.

I modded my CE4000s with a 8.7db fans...whisper quiet and any distance...zero issues.

Many, including the CE4000s use multispeed fans. But, if the amp heats up...

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Why not fan-mod the amp, then run it in a different room and run the wires wherever they need to go. If it's still too loud that is.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to mod the fan for quieter operation. What fan do i get, and where do i get it from?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff76 /forum/post/18233441

I would like to mod the fan for quieter operation. What fan do i get, and where do i get it from?

It depends on the amp. There are different sizes and different noise and flow levels available.

See my CE4000 fan mod thread for the fan and vendor that I used for that amp.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled the fan out. It's a 24 volt Minebea-Matsushita model # 4715kl-05w-b30

24v .40a

4.5'' diameter

Hardware cooling doesn't carry 24 volt fans.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff76 /forum/post/18234140

24v .40a

4.5'' diameter

Not surprising. That's why I mentioned that it is amp dependent.

Many use PC type fans, some are almost completely proprietary, it runs the gamut.

I am sure there are come vendors that do carry what you need.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff76 /forum/post/18234140

24v .40a

4.5'' diameter

http://www.digikey.com carries 24V, I think we all buy the same fan.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Hmmm .... guess this means my RMX-5050 is going to run loud as well. Let me know what you find out re: the fan and modding it. Subscribing to this thread!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/18235039

Hmmm .... guess this means my RMX-5050 is going to run loud as well. Let me know what you find out re: the fan and modding it. Subscribing to this thread!

They typically do run loud.

You have to remember these are made for use in rack dense environments and heavy touring use.

The reason we can mod them is that the amp generally is idling along 90%+ of the time in a HT environment AND there is often more room to breathe (not always).

Of course, the other alternative is to simply place the amps in another room or closet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just bought a 12 volt fan and am going to use a resistor inline. I will expirement with fans till i get the right one so the amp stays cool enough and doesn't sound like a hair dryer running.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff76 /forum/post/18235257

I just bought a 12 volt fan and am going to use a resistor inline. I will expirement with fans till i get the right one so the amp stays cool enough and doesn't sound like a hair dryer running.

Good idea, I like that approach.

I am guessing the 12v fans are cheaper since they are more ubiquitous.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/18235269

Good idea, I like that approach.

I am guessing the 12v fans are cheaper since they are more ubiquitous.

24V fans are CHEAP, I think $6. See link above.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18235322

24V fans are CHEAP, I think $6. See link above.

I see no linky, but will certainly take your word for it.

I guess I had never run into a device with a 24V fan before.

That's what you get when you assume.

·
Registered
7,600 Posts
Wonder if the 4050 and 5050 use the same fan? Was it difficult to remove? Curious, but how does one know which fan to purchase (that link has hundreds of fans)? The RMX 4050/5050 seem to have "variable speed" fans?

·
Premium Member
25,516 Posts
The Peavey CS4080HZ has variable speed fans which are quiet and never speeded up for me.

2 kW/ch at 4 ohms, 1250 W at 8.

IIRC they have another version that's 2 kW at 2 ohms.

If it was me, I'd try to hold out for one of their new fanless class D models.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
12v fans are usually cheaper. The 24v will move more air, but this is what i'm trying to get away from. I used a 45 ohm resistor, i think thats what it was. The fan should see about 10 volts according to my bil.

It's working now, just have to see if it keeps the amp cool during a movie. I don't think there will be a problem.

The stock fan on my 4050hd is loud from the second the amp starts up. I think it's a single speed fan but could be wrong.

Time to watch a movie.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff76 /forum/post/18235979

12v fans are usually cheaper. The 24v will move more air, but this is what i'm trying to get away from. I used a 45 ohm resistor, i think thats what it was. The fan should see about 10 volts according to my bil.

It's working now, just have to see if it keeps the amp cool during a movie. I don't think there will be a problem.

The stock fan on my 4050hd is loud from the second the amp starts up. I think it's a single speed fan but could be wrong.

Time to watch a movie.

Typically if you have a variable speed fan, it starts up at full speed for a second or two then settles down to it low temp setting.

Your amps will probably be fine. It depends on its design, your ventilation and your current/load. Even the cheapie EP2500/4000 often have no problems modded. But they do heat up quite a bit in bridged mode.

I don't think mine even get warm.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc /forum/post/18235578

Wonder if the 4050 and 5050 use the same fan? Was it difficult to remove? Curious, but how does one know which fan to purchase (that link has hundreds of fans)? The RMX 4050/5050 seem to have "variable speed" fans?

They most likely are the same fan and are usually a snap to remove them.

They are all made to be serviceable.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It was a fairly easy swap. The only hard part was cutting some small tie wraps buried in the case, to pull out the wiring with the old fan. I built a new connector and leads for the new fan. Keeping the stocker in tact if i have to send it to the factory for some reason.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts