AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(on the advice of another member, I was told to post the thread here as it may get more results)

I have been reading a few forums for ideas on designing a diy sub. Im probably going to get either the TC sounds TC-1000 15", 12", or a DB-500 12".

I have read that pro amps are cheaper per watt than plate amps. I have been looking at either the BASH 300w, BASH 500w, or something similar for the price.

Does anyone have any links for a pro amp of at least 150w thats going for a good price? The BASH's are on sale at the moment, and I havent been able to find anything even close to it, in terms of watt/$. Thought I should consult the experts before I put any plans into motion.

The reason for the cheapness, is that I ama 1st year University student! Money is a rare thing to come by for me!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice find dude! Do you know if installing a quieter fan is possible and/or effective? Either way for that kind of power its a pretty sweet buy!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
There is a mod you can do to some pro amps to quiet the fan down. I believe there is such a mod for the Behringer amps, try a search as I don't have a link. You will void your warranty however if that is an issue.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
There are plenty of new Behringer EP2500 amps on ebay for Buy-it-now prices of well under $300. There are used ones for even less.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Tapco J-1400 also. With shipping it was under $200. From looking at online pictures of EP-1500 internals, I am fairly confident that the J-1400 is (like the EP-1500) a clone of the QSC RMX 1450. It is a pretty good amp, but 13200 mF per channel seems a little wimpy for filter capacitance. Do any of you EP-1500 owners know how much capacitance you have?

I also own a few Crest VS series amps. They are also a good buy in terms of watts/$. I have heard of bad filter caps blowing in a most craptacular way in the V/VS series. I hope to never experience that!!! I had a big cap blow in a Soundcraftsmen PCR800 before - not fun, the house stunk for days.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster0_0 /forum/post/0

Nice find dude! Do you know if installing a quieter fan is possible and/or effective? Either way for that kind of power its a pretty sweet buy!

There are two fans inside the amp. I replaced both with Panoflo fans to quiet it down, which did help a lot. I also own Behringer EP2500 in which I also replaced its fan with a quieter one. Side by side the Gem sound is louder but not absurd like it was with its original fans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts