AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In wiring multiple sets (6) of ceiling speakers in a large room is it ideal to wire them in series or parallel?

the amp i'm using will be a niles 12 channel 60wpc amp and my speakers would be Niles 8ohms.

i'm thinking parallel would be better but why would one use series wiring anyway? is it too save wire for many speakers over long runs?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm confused. If you have a 12 channel amp, why is this a question? 6 sets of speakers = 12 channels of amp. Each speaker to each channel.

In general though, it is important to understand series versus parallel. Here is a page with a very good description/explanation.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump4545 /forum/post/15578391

In wiring multiple sets (6) of ceiling speakers in a large room is it ideal to wire them in series or parallel?

the amp i'm using will be a niles 12 channel 60wpc amp and my speakers would be Niles 8ohms.

i'm thinking parallel would be better but why would one use series wiring anyway? is it too save wire for many speakers over long runs?

What, exactly, is your application?

That amp is designed to have each speaker of the stereo pair homerun. You could do 2 speakers per channel in parallel (2 left, 2 right)(to give you 4 ohms impedance) if you wanted. Typical application for that amp is if you wanted to get music into 6 different rooms -- you could control the volume of each room individually.

If you're just needing to get audio (music, paging, whatever) to several speakers in a large room, a 70 volt system would probably be better suited for your needs. Just one wire from the amp looped around to all of the speakers in the room (or even building).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Now that I've had another cup of coffee and reread your post, I notice the "large room" part. In that case egnlsn's post nails it.

Unless you need individual control over each speaker/pair. Then a multichannel amp might make sense. But in a large room, that doesn't necessarily make sense.

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what does a 70 volt system mean? I was planning on using 3 pairs of nile 860 in ceilings and, 2 960 niles passive subs

Would a beefy stereo amp do just fine if i wire in series?

Any loss in audio quality if a wire in series?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Regular amplifiers have an output impedance of 4-8 ohms. They need to see a speaker load in that range. When you combine 8 ohm speakers, you change the overall impedance. Connecting them in parallel reduces the impedance, while connecting them in series increases it. Plus, with an 8 ohm system, wire size really becomes a factor over distance, not to mention that the speakers that are further from the amp will not be as loud as the speakers that are closer.

With a 70 volt system, you don't need to worry about any of that. The amplifier has a 70 volt output and each speaker has a matching transformer that changes it from 70 volts to 8 ohms. One 18AWG wire goes from the amp and hits all of the speaker locations. If you need to add a speaker down the road, just a matter of running a wire to it from the closest existing speaker. Can't do that with an 8 ohm system.

·
Registered
284 Posts
stump4545 -

It occurs to me that none of us has asked the important question here, what is the actual project here? What kind of room and what is the use?

All of this discussion is great except the ultimate use should really dictate how you set it up.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco /forum/post/15585912

stump4545 - It occurs to me that none of us has asked the important question here, what is the actual project here? What kind of room and what is the use?

I asked that in my first post -- "What is the application?."

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes, you did. I really need to learn to post AFTER coffee

1 - 12 of 12 Posts