AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have limited knowledge of Pro Audio products, so I need some help. Next Fall, I might move into a house and live w/ 7 other guys. Chances are we'd deck out a living room and turn it into a dance floor/bar. I think it would be best to install some Pro Audio budget sytle, so.....

1. Which models of speakers (stereo pair) and amplifier would be suitbale to turn a room into an obnoxiously loud party machine?

2. Take a QSC audio amp with gain controls for instance....would we need a preamp or can we hook up a cd player to the amp, and then hook up speakers?

3. Regarding the speakers, what's affordable, and also, which models can fill out the bass?

4. Are there other sites that can address my questions?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Michel, that's exactly what I did last night; so far, they've been extremely helpful

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Chuck,

Considering you and your roomates will likely be doing most of the "renovation" yourself, do you think construction of a speaker would be out of the question? At minimum, building your own subwoofer would cut your costs HUGELY, and there are many documented designs on the web. I've helped a friend of mine who does sound for plenty of parties, dances, etc. He just built himself some subs using a pair of 18" Eminence Omega-18s in a large ported box, and the result could shake a house down. They are big, and aren't designed for 20Hz or below, but they do exactly what is needed for a party and music.

If you are ambitious, you could also build a pair of mains to go with the subs, or just find something used which would fit the bill. For amps, check www.live-audio.com 's for sale area along with E-bay and you should be able to find some good deals. Of course even some of the bigger Adcoms would do a decent job with such high sensitivities on the speakers. If you do go for pro amps, remember the fans do make noise, so consider this when you decide where to put them.

For a little info on some of what my buddy Dave Paton built, check out his web site here: Dave's PA Projects

Have some fun with it!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here's a couple ideas.

If you are going the proaudio route....then check pawn shops. I would say that 2 cabinets of 4 15" drivers would be good for the bottom. 2 horn tweeters for the tops. 2 crown 1000x2 watt power amps and a crossover and you'd be pushing the same amount of sound as a band at a mid to large club. All that gear could definately be found at pawn shops. An added bonus is, when you kill of 1 of the 15" speakers in a cabinet...you can still party and sell enough beer to raise the $100 it will take to replace it. Good luck :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.