AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that some people are using pro audio powered monitors for home theaters. The Focal JM Lab Twin6 and solo6 were the speakers mentioned the most. What would be some of the major drawbacks to doing this? It sounds like a great idea but assume that there must be some drawback or more people would be doing it.

I can view the following as being a draw backs but wanted to make sure there is not more.

1) The Twin6 is listed as a nearfield/midfield speaker. How far away could the listener be sitting?

2) Do you have to manually turn on the speakers?

3) Only input is a XLR connection but I don't view that as much of a drawback.

4) Appearance? The pro audio speakers normally don't look as nice.

Please let me know if I'm missing something or even if I'm not. The only thing that I'm really concerned about from the above list is the Twin6 being a nearfield/midfield speaker. Would this be a major issue sitting 8-10ft away?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, recording engineers don't spend their days listening at 100 dB SPL. At least not if they want long careers :)

Midfields will work out to about 12 ft (depending on size), with a drop-off in focus from about 8 ft. If your center position is 10 ft from the front center, you'll be OK with a midfield setup. Those at the side of the center usually won't care enough to notice the off-axis response, anyway :)

You don't need to manually turn them on, mainly because you never turn them off. They have balanced inputs, and are tuned to give out 10 dB of noise or less (0 dB or less for good quality monitors) at standby, drawing about 10-15W. Balanced inputs means that you'll have less risk for electric buzz even though they're always on.

If you want to turn them off, run a 120V circuit to all the speaker locations, and put that circuit on a relay controlled by your receiver (if it has 12V out).

Genelec, while expensive, sound really good IMO, and come in off-white or off-black; the off-white may coordinate better with your interior decoration. At this level, room treatment (dampening, reflections) and proper positioning to avoid unwanted reflection becomes important, too, not just the choice of speaker brand.

I'd also look at Adam powered monitors, and possibly the Mackies (624 or 824).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Another drawback that I just thought of might be difficulty in listening to the speakers before you buy.

I'd love to hear from someone that has or is using powered monitors for a home theater setup or someone that has listened to the JM Lab Twin6. For the price, they seem like a great value considering that you would not have to buy an amp also.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am bringing this thread back from dead because it came up as a suggestion to avoiding a new post

I am building a dedicated theater room in my basement that is 13-14 feet wide and can be up to 45 feet long.

I have a small setup in my bonus room above the garage that is a TV room more than theater. There I run a Yamaha 6290? with polk RTi towers on 4 corners with polk center channel.

I am thinking of pro audio for the dynamics of the speakers and here is an idea I came up with after reading about JTR Triple 8's and JBL's etc.

Mackie makes the http://www.mackie.com/products/sa1232z/ powered speaker and I was thinking of combining 5 of these with the New for fall Emotiva pre/pro with balanced outputs. Then using seaton submersives for the bass.

I have a 13 year old kid ( and me too
) that likes to play rockband as well as watching movies in this planned room.

Where would this plan go wrong?

The mackies should have more ability to take the abuse of PS3 gaming, while handling the home theatre dynamics with enormous SPL.

I am not a music listener and find myself just wanting the ease of plugging in 5 XLR cables and then getting a pro over to tune the frequencies and blend it all nice.

Budget wise I think I am close to 4 good bookshelves, one good center and good amps vs the 5 mackies.

Thoughts?

Jeff

p/s I was once told the only stupid question is the one unasked

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne /forum/post/16678287

I am thinking of pro audio for the dynamics of the speakers and here is an idea I came up with after reading about JTR Triple 8's and JBL's etc.

Thoughts?

Jeff

p/s I was once told the only stupid question is the one unasked

JBL LSR series are some of the best performing speakers on planet earth. Look at this picture in Sean Olive's blog. He's the director of Harman's subjective testing unit, and wrote about Harman's new reference home theater rooms, and lo and behold the picture shows JBL LSR 6332's on stands.

Check them out on this page , and look at the brochures. Inside you'll see Harman's proprietary measurements on these speakers. They measure unbelievably flat on and off axis, especially the powered 6328p. I had a pair of the 6328p's and had to sell them due to lack of spousal acceptance, but they are seriously fantastic speakers.

Look for a used pair for around $1500 or so.

Good luck.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Mark, what do you think of the Mackies?

I like the jbl in that post, just wondering if they have the punch I am looking for.

Thanks for the reply

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne /forum/post/16680163

Mark, what do you think of the Mackies?

I like the jbl in that post, just wondering if they have the punch I am looking for.

Thanks for the reply

I don't have any experience with the Mackies. What I will say is that Harman (JBL's parent company) has unparalleled resources, and when their internal guys talk about how good a speaker is, and it performs superlatively on every internal test from objective (frequency response, etc.) to subjective (double-blind listening tests), then it's a no-lose situation. The graphs in the literature tells a lot of the story. If only they'd post those graphs on all their products. In the case of the LSR6328p, you've got an 8" woofer connected to a 250 watt amplifier purpose built for that specific speaker (same goes for the tweeter with its 100 watt amp). When I had my pair, they were in a spare bedroom and they definitely felt like they could punch holes in the wall if necessary. I could turn them up as loud as I wanted, and they remained perfectly undistorted and the amp barely got warm. If you can find used pairs of those speakers, you've got a value that would be extremely difficult to match. If I had spousal acceptance, and a home theater room that would support them, I'd have lsr's all around, too.

·
Registered
472 Posts
thanks Mark, good info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.