AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of 2 rear surrounds, my buddy came up and we tried a new center channel it is a RCA 40-5011 or a PRO CS55 these are 2 part numbers of the same center channel, it has a beautiful sounding tweeter and sounds better than the Sony speaker I had there in it's place, by buddy said the 2 rears I have now are not a full range speaker and are not bringing out the highs to do the proper job for a rear surround, he said he has 2 more of these center channel speakers as listed above, he says these will work great for rear surrounds, any comments. or suggestions on 2 surrounds with out breaking the bank, can I find 2 rears with good highs for $100 or go with 2 more of the Pro CS55's

Chet

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetc /forum/post/16952879

I am in need of 2 rear surrounds, my buddy came up and we tried a new center channel it is a RCA 40-5011 or a PRO CS55 these are 2 part numbers of the same center channel, it has a beautiful sounding tweeter and sounds better than the Sony speaker I had there in it's place, by buddy said the 2 rears I have now are not a full range speaker and are not bringing out the highs to do the proper job for a rear surround, he said he has 2 more of these center channel speakers as listed above, he says these will work great for rear surrounds, any comments. or suggestions on 2 surrounds with out breaking the bank, can I find 2 rears with good highs for $100 or go with 2 more of the Pro CS55's

Chet

You don't need to have a full range speaker for your surrounds unless you do a lot of 5 channel stereo listening. If you are watching movies you really don't need any low end. All you need really need is highs and mids. The Sub should take care of all the low end you need.

I know your friend said that your surrounds don't do highs very well, but most often the difference between full range speakers is the lack of low end, not of high end. To be honest most speakers that you can find that are around the 100 dollar for a pair will be sufficient unless you already have great fronts and center and want to compliment your system with timbre matched surrounds.

From the sounds of it, it seems like the speakers you have now are fine but you will notice a huge difference from an upgrade to a decent 100/pair for surrounds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.