Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I just picked the Onkyo 600 receiver and hook it up with my Paradigm Monitors. I connected my sub via the sub output on the receiver.

The crossover is set on 80 via the Onkyo menu.

I watched the Fifth element - amazing experience (first DD 5.1 in my house)

When I started to read about Pro Logic 2 (I like the sound in general - big improvement from Pro Logic) I realized it doesn't send .1 (Sub) signal.

Am I correct ?

If it is true, could anyone advise if I run the speaker wires from my receiver to my sub and from my sub to my Monitors 7 in the front and set then as Large in the Onkyo menu - Will I get the Sub producing the low frequencies with Pro Logic 2 ?

Thanks,

Sergey.

·
Registered
413 Posts
DPL II works on 2 channel sources. i.e. there is no .1 channel to send. DPL II works with the receivers bass management, so the frequencies below the crossover will be sent to the sub.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sergey.

I have noticed that my PLII does send low Fr. signal to my SVS Sub when the Sub is set to "on", but if the Sub is set to "auto on", it won't kick in no matter how much volume I give the signal.

Dennis

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
So you're saying my idea won't improve anything?
Correct. It should work either way. If your Monitor 7s handle the 80Hz crossover well, I would say use the receivers crossover with the sub out.

I have an Integra 6.2 setup this way and it works fine.

·
Registered
15,119 Posts
Sergey,

Whether or not you'll get better results depends on the design of your subwoofer and main speakers. Some speakers blend better with a supplemental subwoofer at a crossover frequency that is different from the crossover frequency designed into the receiver. It could be either higher or lower, depending on many factors.

One consideration is the acoustics of your room. Because of the way low frequcny reflections interact with room dimensions, it can be difficult to find the best location for the subwoofer. This is made more difficult when you have to change the length of the speaker cabling running to the subwoofer, too.

Depending on your setup, it might be useful to actually compare the differences for yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.