AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, these two speakers seem very similar to me. All things being equal, which of these two would you prefer for LCR duty and why?

Bonus question - how about the JBL 8340a vs Klipsch KPT-8001 for surround duty?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-David

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
You need to re-think both, as they are surround speakers, not LCRs. I would not use either one for LCR duty.

As for using as a surround speaker, I always prefer JBL to Klipsch for any setup, but that is just me.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are actually two questions there.

One asking about the two different LCR speakers (referenced in the thread title) and a second is asking about the two different surround speakers.

Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
304 Posts
These are rather different speakers. The JBL is considerably larger and plays lower. I use JBL drivers in my mains and the original MDF 8340's for surrounds. I don't know that much about the Klipsch's but I highly doubt you would be able to tell a difference.

That said, how big is your room? The 4722 is a massive speaker and may not sound as good as a smaller setup if you can't get enough distance from them. If you have a theater where the front wall is, eh, 16ft wide or less, I'd look at the 4Pi speakers. I built three of them for my LCR with the upgraded JBL drivers and they sound incredible. You'll save a few hundred on each one, as well.

You may have better luck asking this on the Lansing Heritage forums. It's a site dedicated to the Lansing speakers and their subsidiaries, like JBL.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecraze  /t/1508736/pro-speaker-home-theater-guys-klipsch-kpt-325n-vs-jbl-4722n#post_24139012

Guys, these two speakers seem very similar to me. All things being equal, which of these two would you prefer for LCR duty and why?

Bonus question - how about the JBL 8340a vs Klipsch KPT-8001 for surround duty?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-David

Either would be a great choice!

I don't know in terms of price, but the Klipsch KPT-942-t looks to be a closer fit to the JBL and it uses what most agree is the best HF horn Klipsch has made, the KPT-402-HF:

http://www.klipsch.com/kpt-942-t

If you wanted to save money with a similar level (albeith not the level of the 402 horn), buy used Klipsch Heritage and Cinema lines (such as 3 La Scala for around $1500 total and four KPT-100 surrounds for $200 a pair!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts