AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to see the PRO1000 at Laserland (San Jose) this past weekend.

I have had the 505 for almost two years and watched my share of HD (OTA and DSS), DSS NTSC, DVD (via a Proceed PMDT, 480i). Just added the Faroudja NRS to the 505 and as everyone says this has worked very well.

My quick conclusions:

I was told that the PRO was not calibrated. The only setting adjustments had the color at -5. Inputs were RGB only.

1. The source material was, OTA HD from CBS ( Tenn vs. Ala), HD VCR of Forrest Gump (ABC 720p) and Barbary Coast (PBS 1080i).

As far as this HD content there was not any distinguishable picture quality improvements. I have found that watching good quality HD (usually form CBS and PBS) the 505 performs awesome. I was expecteing to see improvememnts with the PRO1000 but it wasn't the case.

2. The new lacquer frame is pretty tacky. At first it didn't look that bad, but after close inspection it is cheap plastic. I prefer the 505 silver finish.

3. Fan noise is much less than the 505. Had to put my ear next to it to hear it. Good improvement.

4. Didn't get alot of info on the new "deep cell technology".

5. Black levels are the same. Still behind what the Panny does.

5. Wish I could have looked at other sources, DVD, NTSC, adding the Faroudja, but unfortunately it wasn't available.

I'm definitely not trying to post negatively on the PRO1000. From what I saw the HD performance on the 505 and 1000 are great, just not any different.

marty

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Did you get a chance to watch any dvd or ntsc broadcasts? I would figure the difference in these transmissions to be more dramatic than on HD, which looks good on all HD plasmas, even the 60" ers.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ericbee,

No such luck. I was hoping to be able to but they were not set up for it. I'm very curious to see how NTSC and DVD material looks with the PRO. I do agree that it will be better than the 505, but how much better is the question. Also, I wonder how the NRS would look with it. I'm sure once you guys get yours there will be plenty of post regarding it. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Marty

·
Registered
140 Posts
I still have not figured out why the PRO1000 has been promoted to a “plasma of choice†in this form.

Picture is no better than previous models, still has PC lock in bug and.. tacky frame. On top of all this it has 10% less resolution than the FUJ or Panny.

I was equally unimpressed at CEDIA. Perhaps others just getting their Pro1000 can enlighten me.

I sure would not trade my 5002 for a 1000.

reboot

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
enlightenment requires many years of dedicated pursuit; i doubt if the brief opportunity for experience since cedia will suffice.

that being said, there have been opinions all over the place about the new plasmas...what makes anyone think there is a "plasma of choice" status?

·
Registered
140 Posts
John, Jim( or what ever),

I guess the “just†of what I was trying to say is..

There is an extraordinary focus on this product’s performance. I just have not figured out why ?

I guess I should go to the temple for enlightenment.

reboot

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
reboot:

re: "John, Jim(or whatever)"

i suggest you try the extra 10% resolution afforded by your fuji display; this will aid in distinguishing my user name "jlm" from what you have apparently read as "jim".

·
Registered
140 Posts
Slot?

OK, I can put a NTSC tuner in. So what!

Pioneer reps a CEDIA said they are no going this direction with this product. All other information from the CEDIA I posted about this product has “come to passâ€.

Think about it

reboot

·
Registered
925 Posts
it is definitely all about the slot.

that's what pushed me over the edge.

it's about DVI HDCP compatibility; firewire inputs; and on and on.

if somebody has told you that the slot will never be used for anything useful they are likely feeding you misinformation. i have been told by pioneer that we'll have DVI early next year in the 1000. i have been told by other sources it'll be more interesting than that and sooner.

the more i look at that frame though, the more i am likely to remove it!!! :)

that said, i don't think the unit has become a "plasma of choice" here on the forum. the pc lock stuff _is_ annoying. the frame _is_ excessive. the fujitsu _does_ have better resolution and it has square pixels.

upgrading the pioneers with first-party and third-party cards though is a very useful capability in a changing digital video standards marketplace.

of course YMMV! i'm not a consumer electronics expert - i just play one on tv ;-)

doody.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just came back from putting a deposit down on a PRO-1000HD. My local dealer received them today and hung it right next to the 505HD. The difference is night and day... The brightness is unbelievable... The black levels are greatly improved over the 505. Not as good as the panny, however easy to to live with. Color accuracy was amazing... Best I have ever seen. Now I don't expect everyone to beleive what I say, so please go look at one.. If possible, look at it next to a 505 and the other 50"s out there. The choice was easy for me.. The card slot it what sent me over..I have been told by a reliable source that we will see many new cards by CES.... So when HDTV starts getting encrypted all of you Panasonic and Fuji owners will be left in the wind...

Just remember...

A picture is worth a 1000 words.. Not someone elses opinion.. Please go look for yourself.... I am sure several peoples statements are biased because they just spent $15k on a TV.. They want to think they made the right choice......

I am not slamming the Panny or Fuji, they are both great displays... But the Pioneer is much more thought out.... And is a safer bet in this encrypt everything era...

HDTV Watcher

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
HDTV Watcher,

Welcome to the forum and congratulation on your choice of plasma.

Your first post reflects many concerns that we have been debating for some time. But the fuji people are always trying to put down the Pioneer PRO1000HD for some strange reason. I did not see this from the owners of 50" panasonic, I must say.

Anyway, welcome here and to the PRO club.

MAB

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Hey, I'm just jumping on the bandwagon about the Pio quality. :)

My first choice was the Fujitsu because of the better blacks and more sensible resolution.

I had gotten the impression that the Pioneer and Fujitsu were of generally equal quality -- the Fujitsu had better blacks, the Pio had better colors, etc.

The Dell deal pushed me over the edge in the other direction.

I saw the Pioneer, and found the image acceptable. I'd like a little better black level, but it's hard to pass up a deal. :) I still haven't seen the Fujitsu.

The slot is definitely a plus, and if I end up keeping the Pio, I have a feeling that a little black level will be a small price to pay for that slot.

Alex

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Just got my Pro 1000 hung on the wall, haven't even powered it up yet. But, I am focused on HDTV Watchers post. What makes it so unusual is that the exact words were uttered from a friend of mine who is a reviewer for an HT mag. He also saw the 505 next to the 1000 and said it was night and day. Everything HDW said in his post was "word for word" what this writer said. Clors were better, black levels were better etc. I had the 505 and loved it. Moving up to the 1000 was a no brainer. Only time will tell how it compares tot he Fujitsu. In my opinion, these are the only 2 worth looking at in the 50" arena, sorry panasonic, too many problems there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Doody,

I am only politely passing on the information that makes this forum a good source of information.

I spoke with two pioneer reps at the CEDIA. I started asking Rep1 questions he could not answer about “THE SLOTâ€. He called over “BIG CHEESE†rep2. REP2 said Pioneer is not currently pursuing any encryption technology expandability in the 1000. I spoke with them about the 1000 for about an hour. The pro1000 was the one “I thought I wanted†before seeing them all side by side in the shoot-out. That’s it! If the CEDIA rep did not know what he was talking about…well..prove him wrong

I am only attempting to pass along information (creditable)

PLEASE MAKE NOTE: I went to the CEDIA expecting to see the 1000 shine over all. It just didn’t happen.

I give up

reboot

·
Registered
588 Posts
My problem is I'd rather live with no slot than that awful black frame. What were they thinking?

If the HDCP standards ever come to pass, I can always move the 5002 to the spare room in a year or two!

:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Analog8: If you don't like the Pioneer PRO1000HD frame, then why not go for the Pioneer 503CMX?

:) nice simple frame, 3:2 pulldown (or so Pioneer says), expansion slot

:( RGB input; PDA-5002 option adds composite, s-video, and DVI-D inputs, but no component input (at least that's what the data sheet says.)

:confused: Difference in front coating (? slightly brighter, but lower contrast ratio?)

/eric

·
Registered
925 Posts
erehm - some clarifications.

both pioneer units come standard with a VGA input and 5-bnc inputs for component connections (you can select the type in the menus).

there is a card in the slot on the PRO1000HD that includes composite and svideo.

the same optional card on the 503CMX includes those plus DVI.

due to the fact that we've been told the PRO1000HD units are 503s when they arrive on the west coast, i seriously doubt that there's any difference in coating on the screens, but i can't say for sure.

doody.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Doody,

In another post Phil (Free) states that there's an acrylic screen on the 503 and a glass one on the 1000. Is this something which you can confirm? If so, then there is little likelyhood that the 1000 arrives in the US as a 503, although it could come with the same casing as the 503 which then gets dressed up locally for the US-specific Elite market?

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.