AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend wanted to audition some Gallo Reference 3 speakers so we did that yesterday. While we both thought they were nice, they did not really move either of us (well, my friend was sold on their appearance).

The shop owner suggested we have a listen to the ProAc Studio 140s. I was really amazed by how "right" these speakers sound to my ears. There was great clarity throughout the range with good tonal balance and some good, solid bass. My one concern is that, for all these strengths, the speakers did not present a very 'big' soundstage and imaging was less than solid. I am curious if others have experienced this or if this was more indicative of the room we were in.

I have read in the forums that these speakers do not currently have a matching center. Does anyone know when the matching center is supposed to be available? Also, the dealer said these speakers are easy to drive and not particularly fussy about placement. Can anyone confirm this or do you have a horror story to tell?

Any additional information is greatly appreciated.

Bob

·
Banned
259 Posts
Fabulous speakers. Stuart voices by ear rather than computer model and all his designs are remarkably musical if not QUITE accurate (erring on the warm side of neutral). Imaging and soundstaging should be fine if not quite holographic like the VS or Meadowlark. When I had them I used the Responce CC2 which was a very close, but not perfect timbral match.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Had the 150's and loved them. Got better imaging and staging than it sounds like you've heard, so could be the setup. Weren/t fussy about what drove them, but always rewarded upgrades.

I had them when the 125 came out, and I didn't like the new model as well. It extended lower, but the definition and articulation was not as good. Haven't heard the 130 nor 140, so perhaps they've been improved? Never used a center, so can't help you there.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I contacted ProAc and they are not sure when the center for the Studios will be available. They suggested using the center from the Hexa Response series. Does anyone have any experience with this center channel?

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.