AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn't find an answer to this, so pardon if I am being redunant. And also, let me thank everyone for all the help this forum offers. This is pretty much new stuff for most people and we appreciate those of you who are leading the way.

With that said, here's the skinny.

I have a Motorola DCT3416, I have a Mac Mini, with the FirewireSDK installed and a 250GB Maxtor drive.

I can see the STB with no problem, using AVCBrowser, or AVCVideoCap, and have captured a small clip, and converted it and made it into a DVD using iDVD.

However, I know have a series of 1 hours shows and am trying to get those files moved off the DVR's hard drive.

I tried the procedure that is here: creating a folder and dragging it to Virtual DVHS, but it wouldn't open the application. I could get the Virtual DV application to open and there's is rub.

What is the difference? Do I need AVCBrowser running first?

Thanks again for the assist.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, that worked and I now have a 2+ GB file. It is a .m2t file and that's what I expected. However, now my problem is that MPEG Streamclip says it's not a valid format. It is an .m2t.

I did this last week with a small file,

I'd hate to have to record small chumnks of these programs, although i will if i have to.

Thanks again

John

·
Registered
67 Posts

Quote:
However, now my problem is that MPEG Streamclip says it's not a valid format. It is an .m2t.

What was the EMI for the stream set to (available on the AVCVideoCap GUI)? Only "Copy Freely" streams result in something that can be played back successfully or opened with MPEGStreamClip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, again, you were right. EMI says Copy Once.

Now, how do I change it? or can it be changed. I just tried to copy a live stream and it's set at once.

Would recordings say Copy freely??

Friar, you are great... thanks for the assist.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i finally got an answer to this, thanks to Friar who got me in the right direction.

Discovery Channel encrypts the stream, so even though I can capture it, it can't be played or converted into useful files..... Oh well.

NBC, my previous successful conversion doesn't encrypt and so that one worked.

Well, I guess I could go buy the Planet Earth set from them.... rofl

Thanks again for the knowledge!

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts