Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

It's been a while since I've posted, and it's mostly due to the fact that my damn job keeps me away from my Replays for more than 12 hours a day....but...

Here's the situation:

I have a cable MODEM in the back of the house. It's currently connected to a Linksys 11b router/AP. In the FRONT of the house are my Replay TVs. One 5xxx (55xx? like I said, I'm away from them too much) and an older HS2000. There is no ethernet anywhere near my Replays, but I'd really LIKE to get the 5xxx on the net (since I have a 2nd 5xxx just sitting around ready to go into the bedroom once I figure out how to get them to talk nice to the wireless LAN I have in the house). I use my laptops in the front of the house, but haven't been able to get the Replay's to "see" the LAN.

I ALSO have, but haven't hooked up (much more hardware in my house than I've figured out how to get to play nice with each other) a Linksys Wireless G router/AP, a Linksys G bridge, a Linksys G extender and a Buffalo router (or two?). Somehow, with all of these toys, you'd think I could get a device configured to SEE the existing LAN and connect the 5xxx Replay to it. I don't want another LAN, just get the toys I have already to work and play nice with each other so that I can have a virtual wired connection to my router in the back of the house. Clear as mud?

So, one AP in the house is plenty. One domain/SSID. I'm "hoping" I can pull the wireless B AP/router and replace it "seamlessly" with the wireless G that is sitting, but my past experience has been that seamless is what OTHER people experience...at least, that's what the Marketing folks claim...so I've been a tad slow in switching over due to the fact that the existing stuff is working...if the G went in smooth, I'd switch, but the whole time at work thing I mentioned comes into play....

When I tried the Buffalo, it couldn't see my current LAN, and I was not doing too well getting it configured to do so. I picked up the other equipment (employee discounts, etc) to try and make things work & play well with each other, but have been chicken to just jump in and see how completely screwed up I could make things...

So, (finally) my question: Does anyone have an "idiot's guide" to connecting wireless equipment such that one SSID can be leveraged across different equipment (Linksys/Buffalo) and I can finally get my 5xxx on the 'net?

I'm a PC person (nary a Mac to be seen), which I'm certain makes a difference to the "just connect your mac to...." folks, and, oddly enough, I'm technically savvy enough to figure out what you tell me connection-wise, equipment-wise, etc., but software is a purely exposure based medium, so if I haven't played with it, it'll take me a while to figure out what you are telling me (hence the "idiot" part of my previous paragraph)....gotta follow the KISS principle when it comes to settings, software, menus, etc.

This may be old hat to many of you, but it has been enough of a roadblock to me thus far that I've continued with dial-up and am not taking advantage of all of the features/benefits of my "toys", and it's bugging me. If you can help bring me into the 90's (I figure I'm at least 5-10 yrs "behind the times"), I'd really appreciate it.

What do I need to do, when, how and with what?

Thx for any assistance and sorry for newbie-ish queries, but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for in my basic searching... :(

David.

·
Registered
412 Posts
well i have had enugh problems with wireless to know how you feel ( and i'm a network engineer ! )

ehternet is about $30 per 100feet ( cat-5 ) and 100% more reliable and secure that wireless - just an fyi :)

first , plan out the network ... ie. what ip's your giving everything and what connects to what ...

you want as little equiptment as possable .. i would do

cable modem -> wireless router

on the wireless is your computer , one of the ports on it , unless your wireless doesnt have ports , in that case it's modem->router->wireless router.

now the modem will want to give the router/wireless the ip

192.168.0/1.1 ( some do 0 some do 1 at the / ) this is the ip of that device ( the connection between the router and modem ) so for now lets say it gave you a .0.1 so it's 192.168.0.1 ....

now you need to find in the configuration of the router the dhcp settings .. tell it to assign ip#"s from

192.168.10.10 - 192.168.10.200

i'm useing 10. just to compleatly seprate it from the "network" the modem assigned ( even though it's just 1 cable , logicly it's a full network and you cant conflict with it )

in the case of a wireless router with no ports , tell your router to do 5.10 - 5.200 and then the wireless becomes 5.1 and it assigns 10.10 - 10.200 ( computer and wireless end up on the 5. network )

now the fun part , i'm looking at the config of my router as an example ( belkin BEL1H6EW ).. some of the settings may be named differntly on yours

on the wireless .. let it broadcast it's ssid ( you can mess with that later , but for now we just want it working ) givve it like channel 9 and 54G-auto mode , in security tell it 128bit wep and let it auto create the key .. you will see a series of 13 hex pairs .. write that down.

now repeater -> some computer .. .need a computer to setup the thing before we can connect it to the replay ..

you need to tell the repeater the ssid , the channel and that 13 digit hex .. in theory .. it should connect at that point ..

once it does , you can connect the replay and either give it a static ip ( 192.168.10.3 - 255.255.255.0 ) or just use dhcp ...

your also going to need to forward some ports for the replays to work , depending on how you end up setting this up this can be a bit of a mine feild ... i sugest searching the forum for that.

this is the extent of my knowlage at this point as i have not tried to setup a repater/bridge and it's one of those "i need to be playing with it to figure out how it works" things ...

i dont know if this will get you going , but i hope it at least points you in the correct direction. just start at the modem and work your way twords the replays .. you have a laptop so you can connect to each pice of equiptment and test it as you go . dont move on untill you get each pice working.

i cant spell and my kb tends to have 1/2 working keys ( buying new one today ) so deal with typos .. i'm to lazy to go back and correct ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just finished wiring my house for ethernet. I have a crawlspace under the house, and it wasn't too hard (about 3' of clearance), just time consuming and the standard learning curve of building my own ethernet cables and getting the wires wrong once or twice.

Having said that, I ran my ReplayTV's using a Linksys Wireless G gaming adapter for over a year with no problems. Wireless G Routers are really coming down in price as well. I have a Microsoft MN-700 that I've never had a problem with and they are about $40 used on Amazon.com. You can get Linksys "G" routers on sale at Staples for about that as well.

Right now, both of my ReplayTV's are hardwired into the router.

On my website, I detail exactly how to setup the Linksys Wireless G Gaming adapter, check it out. The cost about $79-99 depending on where you find them.

One thing you'll definitely want with the wireless is "G" speed, since it is 54 mbs as opposed to 11 mbs with the "B".

Check out my website, I've got a contact e-mail on there as well and I'll gladly answer any other questions you might have.

www.replaytv411.com

·
Registered
788 Posts
I would like to help you more than I have time to right now. All of your questions have been answered numerous times, but many of the answers may be archived. I disagree with some of the earlier replies to your post. You don't list specific equipment models, and I don't own and don't have time right now to look up details on your equipment, anyway. You need to use all 802.11g equipment. I don't know what your Linksys G bridges and extenders do. If your routers all support Wireless Distribution System (WDS) bridging, you can just use them. There have been a lot of posts about setting up Buffalo routers. Your cable modem needs to be connected to a router, configured as a router with WDS bridging enabled. The Replays need to be connected to routers, configured as access points (the specific settings and terminology may vary among brands, but this is generally the correct configuration), wirelessly bridged to the main router via WDS bridging. The cable modem will be connected to its router's WAN port, the Replays will be connected to their router's/AP's LAN ports. Port forwarding isn't necessary for retrieving guide data and software updates, but may be necessary if you want to exchange recorded shows with other Replay owners. You can read through my post (probably more than once, it's a little disorganized) on setting up WDS bridged Belkin routers to learn general terms, IP address settings, DHCP settings, accessing your routers while you're configuring them, etc.:
http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...22#post3660422

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.