AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we're not supposed to use specific retail store names so I won't, but I think I may go ahead and buy the Panny PT-50LC13. I've found that I can get it from a reliable online retailer for about $27xx.xx (no tax and after shipping). If I bought it locally from someplace like CC or Srs I'd be paying about $32xx.xx (including tax). That's a pretty huge difference in price. Obviously buying online would give me a break in tax and overall price, but at the same time, what if something goes wrong with the set and I have to ship it back. That would totally bite. However, if I bought in a local retail store I wouldn't have that problem, however I'd have to pay a much larger price. Anybody have recommendations on this? This will be the most I've spent on a single piece of electronics equipment so I'd like to deal with the least amount of problems possible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am looking at the same question, but considering Panny, Hit LCD or new Sony LCD. Hard to argue with free shipping, no tax and lower price to start with!

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you check the site for one of the local stores you are considering you will find the Panny around $2,700 on sale right now.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You've got me confused then because I went to the CC website and Srs and even BB and none of them were on sale.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If I was able to get a price under what you have listed in the Bay Area, I'm sure you can get a good price wherever you are. I would definitely recommend against ordering this TV online. Not only would I worry about it getting man-handled by the shippers, but if you happen to get a set with a few bad pixels (which isn't that uncommon), it'd be a major pain to get it returned.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Nick,

I would not define my purchase to the Panny only. I would be lookin closely at the Panny, the Hitachi, and the Grand Wega. I would then work the system. We cannot quote price info anymore here. Look and see who has bought which set recently and then PM them for info on what deal they got and how they got it. You will be suprised.

I buy lots of things online but a tv purchase would not be one of them. jmho. Return policies rule in this arena as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is that in-store or on the website?

Ok, I guess I won't ask about prices anymore (although personally I don't see what the big deal is.... that aside....). Anyway, I first started looking at the Panny 42" 6UY commercial version, then got tipped off to the RP LCDs from a salesperson at C-field when I bought my Denon 1600.

I've looked at the Hitachi, Samsung DLP, and the LC-13. I think based on the threads upon threads that I've read and what I've seen the Panny will most likely do me fine.

I also agree with the whole returns issue with buying an item such as this, which is why I'm sure I'd buy it in a retail store. Besides, if I do this and then I try out the Panny with my own stuff and don't like it I can always return it and keep my current TV or spend a little more and try a new TV.

How does that sound.....

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ein
If you use your Sears card.
Or if you don't have one. By applying for one and getting approved for it, and then buying what you want with it. Which for most people with decent credit, can only take a few minutes to do in-store.

Sears has a 10% off everything in store day or even for a weekend sometimes, (except for Bose and a few other brands and items) at least around 4 to 6 times a year, every year.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ein
If you use your Sears card.
Which day or days is it? The reason I ask is that I preordered the Sony - and didn't get 10% - and, at this point, every little bit helps.

THANKS!

David

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
My purchase last week at a local Circuit City went well. I went in with a couple of receipts I had gotten online and went to do the price match. I started off by taking the sales guy with me and point out the 42" Panny plasma that lists for 4400 and said, "I want that - but I need the commercial model, not the consumer model. I can get that for $2800 online and it's not something you offer." He nodded and knew what I was saying.

I pointed to the 50" Panny 50LC13 and said, "I'll take that right now however if you can go from the $2899 you have listed and price match me to $2399. And I'll take the 5 year service warranty as well if you can get it to that price".

He was game for it based on the receipts I had (in-state) and proceeded to work it. The TV manager didn't want to do it, insisted on calling the stores on the receipts and getting confirms. Even then, he didn't want to. Sales guy had to go to the store manager and get in a huddle. Deal was done though and I got it down that far.

With things like this, I much rather buy locally. I like to do big ticket business with local area people since I can go in and touch, prod, ask questions. The other reason really comes down to future service/maintenance. It's worth it to me to have that option. CC and Panasonic have a really good policy overall for the duration of the extended warranty, dead pixel and all.

The sales guy also did good by me the first time I was in. I had gone in earlier in the day with my wife to show her the two possibilities, since both are massive aesthetic changes for our living room. He'd come over when we were looking at the plasmas and started to offer some words on them, when he heard me explaining in detail various aspects of it to my wife. So I got the nice, "Ah, you're an informed customer. Simply let me know if you need anything." smiled and walked away after I thanked him.

THAT is what I like. Come up to me when I get there, realize I'll ask if I need anything, and go away until then. No hovering!

:)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok everybody. I pulled the trigger and bought the Panny PT-50LC13. I bought it at Sears tonight. I think I set the record for the all-time lowest price out the door for this. Between the Sears price match guarentee and also my bonus for signing up for and using my Sears card discount I got the TV for between $22xx.xx and $23xx.xx! That's after tax even. If you want to know the real amount I paid you can PM me. I was almost in shock when I left Sears. I got such a huge deal it was hard to even believe I got it!

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by faceoff
Which day or days is it? The reason I ask is that I preordered the Sony - and didn't get 10% - and, at this point, every little bit helps.

THANKS!

David
It's for Thurs, Fri, and Sat I think.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnla
It's for Thurs, Fri, and Sat I think.
Actually spoke to my salesman yesterday - I'm getting the 10% off. Not sure whether it's off retail, or off of the final price I got. Either way I'll save some bucks.

THANKS!

David

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nickeleye
Ok everybody. I pulled the trigger and bought the Panny PT-50LC13. I bought it at Sears tonight. I think I set the record for the all-time lowest price out the door for this. Between the Sears price match guarentee and also my bonus for signing up for and using my Sears card discount I got the TV for between $22xx.xx and $23xx.xx! That's after tax even. If you want to know the real amount I paid you can PM me. I was almost in shock when I left Sears. I got such a huge deal it was hard to even believe I got it!
Congrats on the great deal! Although it wasn't the absolute lowest deal ever gotten on this set, I remember reading some people did get it for $20xx out the door. I got mine for $21xx no sales tax in Delaware including delivery :) I didn't want to steal your thunder, I just have to brag ;) I too have felt that giddy feeling that you are feeling. Welcome to the club!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.