AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for this, and though I did find other threads on the subject, most are over a year old, and there is no resolution.

First off, setup: HTPC running Win7-HP 64 with a Radeon 4670 card connected via HDMI to a Sony DTR-DG920 receiver.

Encoded bitstreams (i.e. Dolby Digital) all work just fine. The problem is LPCM, and I am not sure if this is a Windows problem or AMD(ATI) problem.

If I set my ATI HDMI sound to 7.1, I can get test tones from each individual speaker. Games that do multichannel sound work great. But when I send a stereo source - like playing music or video from Youtube - I only get sound from the front speakers. Receiver reports getting 8-channel LPCM, but apparently all but 2 channels are mute.

If I set my sound to Stereo, receiver reports getting 2-channel PCM, and can use its processing to matrix that to 7.1. Bitstreams still work fine, but games sound sadly anemic. Given this is a 4670, this is not much of a gaming PC, but I been thinking of upgrading to a Radeon 5770 or a GTX460. Sure, I could manually switch it whenever I want to play a game or go back to music - but that's kinda pain in the butt.

So, question is: has this question been solved in any way? What I really want is set my system to 7.1, but have it recognize when material being played is Stereo - and either cut the output down to 2 channels - so AVR can process it - or at least apply its own 'matrixing'?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew c /forum/post/19541673

With something like ffdshow or AC3filter, there is an option "Do not encode stereo PCM"

Tell me if this works for you.

So, which music only players will use ffdshow or ac3filter?

I currently use ac3filter in DVBViewer to matrix stereo dvb broadcasts to 5.1 and it works satisfactorily...

I will really like to know how ac3filter can be used in mediamonkey and the likes...

Thanks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know about ffdshow capabilities. Set it to matrix sound, feed it stereo, it will give you kinda-sorta 7.1. Not as good a solution as using receiver's own Dolby PLIIx processor, but ok. Problem is, ffdshow does not exactly apply to every audio source on the PC.

I would imagine that this is really an audio driver issue - that right now it can only be rigidly set into a specific speaker config, rather that tell it to adjust output to input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts