AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***This is mainly for the ppl that bought a Dell Dimension 8400 with the 6800GTO card***

I've just received my dimension last night. I took out the existing 400g sata drive, and put in 2 120g sata that's in a raid0 configuration. I've also added a Audigy 2 and a Linksys wireless PCI adapters.

Installed MCE 2005, all the drivers (chipset, video, audio, wireless, gigabit) and all updates from Windows Update. Everything works fine except.....

in 3D applications (DirectX or OpenGL), there are SPARLIES all over the screen!!! I first saw this in the Media Center setup application, then I tried it with 3DMark05, and also Doom3. All the same, I've tried loading whql drivers from Nvidia, beta drivers from guru3d, all to no avail.

It does sound like I have a faulty card, but want to get a couple of 2nd opionions before I call Dell. It does also sound like a heat related issue, or maybe insufficient power supply.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Tell us more about what display you have and res. and timing you use. Also how do you have it connected (VGA, DVI, etc.)? What is the cable length?

____

Axel

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's connected to a Sony 42" GW3 through DVI (3ft). I'm outputting at a rez of 1920x1080i. I've used this configuration b4 on the replaced cpu, which was a 5900XT, no artifacts with 3D.

Ffdshow resize still works, jumpy, but I havent had time to troubleshoot that yet. EVERYTHING 2D is fine, just 3D that is giving me sparklies.

Quote:
Did you try it out before doing the modifications?
And NO, the first thing I did was take the machine apart to put in the parts that I needed.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vern Dias
Sounds like it may be a defective DVI cable. Try reducing the resolution temporarily to 800 x 600 or lower and see if the sparklies are diminished.

Vern
Yep, as Vern said, it could be the DVI cable. Even though 3ft is very short for DVI.

Output levels (of the digital signal) on video card differ. So you can have a perfect image with one card while you get sparklies with another one.

____

Axel

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've tried another one, 6ft, same thing. I really doubt it is the cable, like I said, in windows desktop everything is fine, perfect image.

ONLY when I use any 3D related applications; 3dmark03, 3dmark05, doom3, mce 2005 setup screen. I'll get my digi cam out tonite and take a picture.

Thanks for ur suggestions tho :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've seen the same thing on my 6800 card. If I switch to a 480p resolution, the problem isn't there. I've only seen it happen if I run at 1080i. Can you try 480p (or 720p if your display supports it) and see if the sparklies go away?

In short, I think it's the driver for the 6800.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vern Dias

You did plug in the aux power connector on the video card????
I once forgot it on my XFX-6800-NU. During boot I got an error message, prompting me to plug it in. System would not boot any further. So I do not think this is it.

N3W81E, have you tried a lower/different res in the meantime? Also those screenshots would be helpful.

Next I would, as L8N8 suggested, try a different driver.

What is the rating on the PSU? From my past experience Dells are usually pretty decent and perform usually better than their spec. might suggests.

____

Axel

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found the problem...it's a bug in the drivers itself. The following was pasted from 'Known Issues' section of the 66.77 drivers release notes.

GeForce FX and GeForce 6800/6600: Artifacts on digital display when

using HDTV over DVI and running Direct3D applications at

1024x768x32 .

A fix for this will be included in the next driver release.

GeForce 6800: Corruption on the Media Center Edition user interface

in full-screen mode when using HDTV over DVI.

A fix for this will be included in the next driver release.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.