AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to add a second hard drive to the avs htpc special I purchased about a month ago. In Windows ME, there is apparently no way to restart in ms-dos mode and the pc is not configured to boot up from the floppy so I cannot run the hard drives' setup disk. I tried going into setup at start up to change this so it would boot from the floppy but the setup menu is password protected. Argggh! Does anyone know what the password is for an avs htpc in order to get into setup? I already wrote tech support about this but being the memorial day weekend I doubt I will get a responce until tuesday and would like to finish this thing while I have the time.

Another wierd thing is that I added 2-256mb ram chips (1-128mb chip is already there) and the pc only recognizes 512mb of memory now, not the 512+128 I would expect. I also had to take out the 128mb chip completely because when all 3 chips are installed, the bus clock speed jumps down to 100 from 133 and causes the system to be sluggish. Any ideas about this?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Its not an RDRam setup is it ?? They need matched pairs I believe...

As to BIOS PW thats a bummer cant help there...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not rdram, just sdram and since it only came with a single 128mb chip that works fine alone, I have to assume that this configuration does not require memory to come in pairs.

Why would avs password protect MY computer from ME? This is really annoying. It's like selling somebody a car and not giving them the keys to the trunk.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I've heard from others that the guy who does AVS HTPC support is quite helpful. Not available on weekends though, I think.

Why exactly do you need to run the setup disk? Is it like a 160GB drive? Mostly the setup disks were required in older computers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The second hard drive is being recognized at boot up and in device manager, however no drive letter is being assigned and I cannot access it. I was hoping the setup utility on the floppy would remedy this. I have tried updating the drivers for it but windows does not find any suitable driver on the floppy. I also tried removing it from device manager and rebooting several times. The pc keeps recognizing it and apparently installing it but still no drive letter. It is a 120mb western digital. The one that came with the pc is a 20mb western digital.

Another wierd thing that cropped up: In System Properties, Device Manager, Other detected devices, there is a !Reserved Device notice whose properties status shows : "This divice is causing a resource conflict. (Code 15)". Is this the hard

drive I added or what?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
did you format the new disk?

if you haven't installed a hard drive before, if you haven't used fdisk before, you really should get some assistance.

that said you should be able to run fdisk from a dos prompt, change to the 160 drive, create a new primary partition and then you should be able to format it. to get into a dos session, click start, run, command .

these are basic commands one learns while using DOS.

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
pjfool,

As imws implied, Me won't assign a drive letter until you've used the fdisk utility to create a filesystem (empty directory structure) on the disk.

Too often memory simms from different manufacturers simply won't work together even when their characteristics seem to be the same. My own system had a simm by IBM that wouldn't allow Kingston simms to be detected, even though their specs were identical. It didn't matter which slot any of them were in. grumble.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have installed hard drives before although not many of them. How am I supposed to get to the new drive in a dos prompt if I have no drive letter assigned to it? What I did before was to run the ez-install software that comes with the drive and it worked like a charm but this thing will not boot from the floppy and I cannot figure out the setup password to change this. I also fear this might be something more serious as well given the hardware conflict.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks VERY much for the tips guys. Fdisk seemed to do the trick. After creating a primary partition I formatted it and am now running scandisk on my new d drive to check for integrity. I guess there is more than 1 way to skin a cat. I can now enjoy the rest of this holiday weekend and move on with my life!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.