AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've had a home theatre setup for 9 years but I'm presently having problems with calibration due to some new equipment added to my system.

Recently I added an ICBM to perform bass management for the whole system. My system is a bit complex so there in lies the problem.

First I have a Citation 7.0 feeding a Sony EP9ES DD decoder feeding a Millenium 2.4.6 dts decoder feeding the ICBM going to the amps.

The crux is that I'm using a Vandersteen 2wq sum that is fed from the mains (cannot be hooked line level from the LFE out)

SO I have all bass rounted to the mains, the vandersteen crossover filters below 80 to the sub and above 80 to the mains.

Calibration of the dts and Citation is easy and done.

The problem lies with the EP9ES.

I can set the levels for the mains, center and surrounds fine but the LFE using AVIA is HIGH! Like 10DB high.

The manual sucks for setting the LFE level. The settings on the Sony for the LFE go from -10 db to 0db.

Should the level for all test tones be the same?

Does anyone else have to lower the LFE level so the levels of all speakers match?

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
I believe that on the EP9ES you should not have to change the LFE setting, leave it at 0dB. But you may have to adjust the SUB OUT level down such that the bass in the LFE track of the AVIA disc is matched to other sources. This is because the preamp output levels for sub jacks is not standardized relative to the main outputs--but there should be sufficient trim range. So, try matching the LFE disc level, such as when playing the DD test signals first in the Citation 7 (it has DD5.1 decoding, right?) and then in the EP9ES.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.