AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a problem choosing a plasma tv (my 1st). I want to hang it above the fireplace. I have it narrowed down to the panny th-42px50u or the

pioneer pdp-4350. I really like the panny. but my problem is that when I mount it above the fireplace I will have all these wires running to the components. The pioneer has a media box that you only have one wire running to the TV. I really don't know much about these plasmas and I have compared the features between the 2 and I must say they are not much difference between the 2. I also would like to know if I buy one of these Is somthing that I can install myself or will I have to Hire someone to do the install? I have searched this site for a couple of days for the answer. Is there a way to buy a seperate media box for the Pannosinic? Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I don't know of one specifically but even if you could you would be duplicating the tuners and inputs/outputs just to run a single wire. Since you like both fairly equally you may as well go with the Pio in that case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar
I don't know of one specifically but even if you could you would be duplicating the tuners and inputs/outputs just to run a single wire. Since you like both fairly equally you may as well go with the Pio in that case.

yeah, but the panny is about $1,000 cheaper! and they are about the same thing feature wise.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
If you are considering the two then you are already aware of the price difference. If the Panny had a media box it would be a no-brainer since you like it. Just depends on what you're willing to pay to have the setup you want to have.

If it were me I would go Panny. But for you...think of the price difference in this way:

Over the fireplace will require a well-planned recess in the wall to run/hide connections. You may not want to pay for a Pro install or be uncomfortable doing it yourself. Either way add that to the cost of the Panny and mounting it. The Pio will require just the mount.

Or you could use a damn fine AV receiver with all of the latest inputs/outputs you will likely need to still maintain a single connection. And you know what those cost if you don't have one already. If you do, case closed...solution found. If not....

Ergo...................Pio is simplest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. I already plan on getting a yamaha htr-5790 reciever, will this reciever get the job done for duplicating as a media box? I have also heard that the panny will have a price drop soon is this true and where is the best place to buy one of these. Best Buy has this model but their price is 2800 after 300 mir.

thanks

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
The 5790 will supply you with a component connection to the panel but no DVI, HDMI, etc. which is what I was alluding to with my "latest inputs/outputs" qualifier.

If you have no equipment utilizing these connections or have no plans to upgrade to such and are satisfied with the component up-conversion of the Yammy then it should do fine and be all that you need. Then you can stick with the Panny. However component will involve three lines for Vid. and you'll still need a digital audio connection but only if you'll be using Cablecard. You also have to consider what input/output your source provider uses and if the receiver can pass it. Most likely there will be component availibility so there should be no problem...just more wires than you might like to the panel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.