AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I thought to upgrade my system and get a new AVR with enough HDMI ports to handle future needs. I bought a Denon AVR-890 with 5 HDMI inputs and one output.

I finally got around to hooking up my Apple TV 2 this evening and discovered that I have a problem: connecting to the Denon from the Apple TV resulted in no video. After searching through the manual, I discovered that the Denon will not output video if the input video signal does not match the resolution of the output device. In this case the Apple TV is 720p and my TV is 1080p. Ridiculous! I could go directly to the TV from Apple TV and audio to the AVR, but the AVR has only two optical inputs, which are both already in use.

Here's a question: is this kind of limitation on video passthrough common on AVRs? At this point I'd be willing to dump the Denon for one with more flexibility.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Do you have another AV device like the PS3 that can be made to output 720p? If so, try it. If that works, then the problem is with the AppleTV. I highly doubt the receiver is the problem. That said, I have ordered an AppleTV and will test it with my HK AVR 745 and post the results here.

·
Registered
918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredT /forum/post/19565921

Last year I thought to upgrade my system and get a new AVR with enough HDMI ports to handle future needs. I bought a Denon AVR-890 with 5 HDMI inputs and one output.

I finally got around to hooking up my Apple TV 2 this evening and discovered that I have a problem: connecting to the Denon from the Apple TV resulted in no video. After searching through the manual, I discovered that the Denon will not output video if the input video signal does not match the resolution of the output device. In this case the Apple TV is 720p and my TV is 1080p. Ridiculous! I could go directly to the TV from Apple TV and audio to the AVR, but the AVR has only two optical inputs, which are both already in use.

Here's a question: is this kind of limitation on video passthrough common on AVRs? At this point I'd be willing to dump the Denon for one with more flexibility.

Your Denon can pass through the same HDMI input through it's output of 720p. I guarantee it. Send 720p to your 1080p TV and let the TV upscale the Apple TV 2 720p signal to it's native 1080p resolution. My 5 year old Denon 3806 does HDMI pass through. Check your Denon manual again.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb /forum/post/19566368

Your Denon can pass through the same HDMI input through it's output of 720p. I guarantee it. Send 720p to your 1080p TV and let the TV upscale the Apple TV 2 720p signal to it's native 1080p resolution. My 5 year old Denon 3806 does HDMI pass through. Check your Denon manual again.

I hope you're right. Are there any special settings to look for? It sure doesn't work at default settings. I'll give it another try tomorrow. Thanks.

Update: I got up early to have a go at this. I think that I perhaps had the i/p scaler setting wrong (I played with a lot of settings so I'm not sure), but whatever it was that was wrong is now right and the Apple TV is working just as I hoped it would. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
63 Posts
2 Questions - I am running an old Denon 3803 receiver and am considering using Apple TV in lieu of upgrading to a new receiver with HDMI...

Will i be able to achieve full 1080p from apple tv to my plasma 1080p HDTV via HDMI?

Also - will i be able to simultaneously optical out directly from the apple tv to my receiver?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Will i be able to achieve full 1080p from apple tv to my plasma 1080p HDTV via HDMI?

No. You can feed the 2nd gen aTV a 1080p file, but it'll output that file at 720p. Whether you could tell the difference is another question.

Audio is output over both HDMI and optical simultaneously, so yes, you can send optical to an AVR.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just confirmed over chat on the apple store site that aTV will send a 1080p signal to my 1080p plasma TV via HDMI, and simultaneously feed audio to my receiver via optical. This, I think, negates my need to upgrade my receiver as long as I am satisfied with the sound quality of HD movies over aTV via optical from my plasma.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTF-15H /forum/post/19793131

I just confirmed over chat on the apple store site that aTV will send a 1080p signal to my 1080p plasma TV via HDMI, and simultaneously feed audio to my receiver via optical. This, I think, negates my need to upgrade my receiver as long as I am satisfied with the sound quality of HD movies over aTV via optical from my plasma.

I.e.:

Movies: aTV -> HDMI > Plasma -> Optical -> Receiver

MP3s: aTV -> Optical -> Receiver

Whatcha think

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
I just confirmed over chat on the apple store site that aTV will send a 1080p signal to my 1080p plasma TV via HDMI

Even though I already answered this for you once, I'll try a second time: the new aTV will not send a "1080p signal" to your 1080p plasma. It will connect at 720p.

If you have 1080p files in iTunes the new aTV can play them, but will output them at 720p.

Quote:
This, I think, negates my need to upgrade my receiver as long as I am satisfied with the sound quality of HD movies over aTV via optical from my plasma
Quote:
Movies: aTV -> HDMI > Plasma -> Optical -> Receiver

You're over-thinking things: there's no need to run optical from your plasma to the AVR, it's redundant if you already have optical from your aTV to the AVR. Use that for both music and movies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts