AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello;

I have a few video/pic files in the built-in memory of my camcorder (Canon HF21). I am trying (for the first time) to connect the camera via USB to the computer so I can download the images. My computer, which is running Windows 7 64-bit, is not recognizing the camera!

The camera says this - "Cannot write data with this connection. To write data to the camcorder, connect the compact power adapter then reconnect the camcorder and computer".

Here's my problem. I don't have a power adapter. When I lost it, I bought a battery charger instead of a power adapter. Anyway, I don't want to "write data on the camcorder."

Is there no way to get my images without using the power adapter?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Your camera clearly says you what you should do, but you do not believe it. Marvelous.

Get the power adapter on eBay for about $15.

P.S. This is one of the reasons why camcorders with built-in memory suck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for being so facetious. I hope it made you feel better.

Anyway, if you had taken the time to read what I wrote, you'd have noted that the camera said I needed the AC adapter to "write data to the camcorder", which I'm not trying to do.

As for the built-in memory, it was great to have when I filled my 16GB SD card while out on vacation.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaCrazy /forum/post/19572733

Thank you for being so facetious. I hope it made you feel better.

It did
Sorry.
Quote:

Anyway, if you had taken the time to read what I wrote, you'd have noted that the camera said I needed the AC adapter to "write data to the camcorder", which I'm not trying to do.

Right, the message is off. In any case, you indeed need an AC adapter for your camcorder to be recognized as an external drive. No way around it.
Quote:

As for the built-in memory, it was great to have when I filled my 16GB SD card while out on vacation.

I have 10 or so cards in different nominations, from 4GB to 16GB, so I don't have this problem.
But you have one. This is why I hate camcorders with built-in memory, especially with built-in HDDs. Unreliable and not very friendly to use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.