AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to connect my desktop computer to HDTV to watch movies but there is no signal. Someone time it would show the windows boot screen, then when it goes into the desktop screen the signal is gone. Sometimes there would be no signal at all from the start.

I'm connecting to the TV from gtx580 videocard through the DVI port using a HDMI adapter. The HDMI cable is 25FT and is connected to the TV's hdmi port. I have also tried setting my screen to 1920X1080 to match the TV, but it still does not work.

I'm not sure if my dvi to hdmi adapter is the problem or I should have a different setting in the computer that I should change.

Also, I have a laptop that I would connect to TV through hdmi to hdmi and that would work on the TV. The only problem is the laptop's resolution is only 1300x780.

Any help would appreciated. Thank you.

DVI to HDMI adapter that i'm using.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0355991

25FT HDMI Cable
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ultra-Series-Certified-Available/dp/B0031TRZX2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339949751&sr=8-2&keywords=25+ft+hdmi+cable

·
Banned
2,481 Posts
Have you gone into the settings for the desktop video adapter and checked to make sure that it is seeing the other tv. You can usually choose to use only one monitor, both in a split screen/dual desktop, or use the second display. Suggest learning the software for your video card, since it will be your friend. Without physically being on your machine, it is hard for anyone to see what you are seeing, without screenshots.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Windows is not sending a resolution over DVI that your TV will accept over HDMI or DVI such as 7209p(1280x720 progressive) or 1080i/60(1920x1080 interlaced).

You see the boot screen since until windows itself boots and loads the PC sends 4080p.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford  /t/1416149/problem-connecting-desktop-to-hdtv-no-signal#post_22141354

Windows is not sending a resolution over DVI that your TV will accept over HDMI or DVI such as 7209p(1280x720 progressive) or 1080i/60(1920x1080 interlaced).

You see the boot screen since until windows itself boots and loads the PC sends 4080p.

What settings or procedure can I adjust to fix this problem? Do I need to buy some other components to get this working?

·
Banned
2,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffguy  /t/1416149/problem-connecting-desktop-to-hdtv-no-signal/0_100#post_22141573

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford  /t/1416149/problem-connecting-desktop-to-hdtv-no-signal#post_22141354

What settings or procedure can I adjust to fix this problem? Do I need to buy some other components to get this working?
No, you do not need to buy anything else. What you need to do, is open up the graphic chipset program that lets you adjust the display settings, and that will solve the problem. Also, make sure that the computer and tv are both shut down when hooking up the DVI cable, since at times you can get HDCP handshake issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll  /t/1416149/problem-connecting-desktop-to-hdtv-no-signal#post_22142189

No, you do not need to buy anything else. What you need to do, is open up the graphic chipset program that lets you adjust the display settings, and that will solve the problem. Also, make sure that the computer and tv are both shut down when hooking up the DVI cable, since at times you can get HDCP handshake issues.

Thank you. I will try this when I get home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts