AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to connect the JVC HM 30000U D-VHS VCR to the G-!5 D-ILA.

I have purchased a Key Digital KD-CTCA2 component to VGA (RGBHV) transcoder since I want to use the Computer 2 input of the D-ILA which is RGBHV and the JVC D-Theatre D-VHS VCR only has component HDTV output.

I am testing this combination on my Princeton Graphics HDTV monitor since it has RGBHV input and is easily accessible before putting the D-VHS VCR in my rack which is connected via 5 BNC cable to the remotely located projector.

I purchased a VGA to 5 BNC RGBHV breakout cable to connect from the transcoder to the projector or monitor. The component output of the VCR is connected to the transcoder. The problem is I can get no picture at all with the RGBHV input on the monitor using the VGA to RGBHV 5 BNC breakout cable. I know the VCR is working OK because I get a perfect picture with direct component 1080i into the monitor from the VCR. I'm pretty sure that the transcoder is working OK because I connected a VGA to VGA cable from the VGA output of the transcoder to the VGA input of the monitor and it works OK. I just wanted to get this working OK first before I install the D-VHS VCR in my rack because in my case that is not an easy installation change.

I am temporarily stumped. I will probably eventually get this solved. However I was wondering if anyone else has had this same kind of problem or has any idea what might be the problem or any ideas for troubleshooting it.

Larry

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have tried the KD-CTCA2 transcoder with the JVC on three different monitors using a VGA to VGA cable on the output. On two of the monitors it doesn't even begin to get me a picture. On the plasma it works correctly. All three monitors work correctly if the input to the transcoder is 1080i output from a Samsung t-165.

I am waiting for a response from Key Digital.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that there must be several forum members who have the JVC HM DH30000U hooked up to monitors or projectors that only have the RGBHV BNC connections. I don't want to use the component input to the D-ILA unless I have to since the computer 2 (RGBHV) input is supposed to be much better for HDTV. The HM 30000U only has component outputs.

How do you have yours connected? What kind of transcoder are you using? If you are using the KD-CTCA2 transcoder and if so what settings are you using? Thanks

Larry

·
Registered
953 Posts
Larry,

Please post your results when you get feedback from Key Digital. Some prior posts talk about tri-level sync issues with the Key Digital transcoder here . On the other, the president of the company has personally troubleshooted some compatibility issues with their products here .

One of these days, I will buy the JVC 30000 (or similar component output deck) and I would prefer not to have to buy the Extron CVC200 just to connect the deck to my RPTV through RGBHV connections.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's insane to have to go to all this trouble to connect a VCR to a display device, and I'm not even trying to record anything. It's only going to get worse with digital flags etc. I'm no engineer so I don't understand what tri level sync issues are. Eventually I may purchase a scaler like the aSimilator that will pass through and transcode component HDTV to RGBHV so I won't need a separate transcoder, but for now I have to figure out how to make it work. I've go an e-mail in to tech support @ Key Digital, but I'm sure the president of the company won't purchase a Princeton Graphics monitor or a JVC D-ILA projector to see if it will work.

Larry

·
Registered
953 Posts
It doesn't make sense to me that in order to get an RGBHV signal from a D-VHS deck, you need to spend as much (or more) on the transcoder than you spent on the deck. At these prices, you might as well use the RGBHV output of the Samsung T-165 STB as a substitute "firewire" transcoder for the JVC deck. Unfortunately, this technique will not work with D-Theater tapes, because the RGBHV output is disabled when playing those tapes.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Key Digital advised me to try altering dip switches 4 and 5. When I changed dip switch 5, the other two monitors worked.

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
I've always had a picture from the Key Digital units (I have a D-ILA too) but the colors are always way off. In comparison to the Samsung unit, the colors are always over saturated (which I actually kind of like) but there is also a red-push to the picture.

Dunno, not terribly pleased but not too many other options out there. Damn JVC and component input

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Brian,

I'm using a 7 years old Japanese Imagenics CRC-2 ( http://www.imagenics.co.jp ).

I don't know if they still do this model, and how much it costs, but it's really perfect with a D-ILA.

The only problem is that it does not pass 480i, so I have to switch to another input if I want to display the 30000 menus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.