AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im having that incredible frustrating problem, hope someone can shed some light.

My Setup:

Panasonic 42" Plasma TV

Ati Radeon 9800 PRO

Using:

DVI PC Output

HDMI Tv input

DVI to HDMI cable

Details:

I have been using that connection for quite some time now, so i know it works. It's a bit tricky on the first try, because you have to test diferent resolutions without seeing anything. I managed to do that knowing the exact keybord keys and in which order i had to press. Ok. Everything was perfect until i had to format my pc.

Today i tried to reconnect the tv. Did the "blind" resolution change, tv was working, showing my pc correctly. Finished configuring sound output, player underscan, subtitles, etc. Then i turned everything off to go dinner, changed back the cable to my pc monitor, used internet a bit, and when i tried to reconnect the tv back to whatch the movie i intended.... NOTHING. Just a $¨#¨Black screen.

Tried everything i could. Changed resolutions a million times, and after 3 to 4 hours (no kidding) i gave up and find myself posting this, desperate for some help.

Anyone have any idea of whats going on?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Boot in Safe mode since it will output at 480i or 480p both of which should be acceptable to your TV. You can then change the resolution that can be used in normal mode to one that you know that your TV will accept over HDMI such as 720p or 1080i.

If you want settings to be saved you always want to do a nomal shutdown using the "start" menu of your system instead of just turning it off.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man, i'm already pulling my hair out. Thats incredible frustrating, something that i know used to work.

-----------

Btw, something strange i noticed, (but i might be wrong), im pretty sure that the windows boot screen was a aways show thing. But now, not even that i'm getting on the plasma. But as i mentioned, maybe i'm not remebering well and it was always like that.

Maybe my HDMI inputs got somehow messed up? I need to get an HDMI cable for my xbox and test those inputs asap.

----

EDIT: I was thinking, since i dont have access to a secondary monitor to check whats actually going on, will, installing some remote control software, be a good idea? (like ultraVNC)

·
Registered
624 Posts
I think all the changing cables from monitor to tv is the thing that is screwing everything up.

Also, I think you may need to upgrade that video card. While it works, hdtv support for it is very mediocre. I got a x850 pro and support on that one was "ok". Upgraded to a 1950xt and works like a charm, at any resolution even if the monitor does not support it. The video card scales non natives to something the tv can understand.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Installed some remote control software, and now i can, at least, know whats going on. Problem not yet solved, but i was able to make some screenshoots. Maybe someone more experienced can help me out on this one.

* as you can see from the pictures, the tv is actually being recognized (PANASONIC-TV).

Anyone? Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
30 Posts
Something similar happened to me, and I found out that my catalyst control center kept changing my refresh rate to 30 Hz. I was using a 9800xt. I wonder if that could be your problem. Unfortunately I never looked for a solution and eventually bought a new video card.

I great way to test something like this (as I did) set up VNC from another computer and connect to your media center, then go through your settings when your screen is black and see what has changed. This way you can change resolution and refresh rate without "clicking in the dark". Of course you need to be able to install VNC in the first place.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed VNC and changed all resolutions possible without success.

I also formated my PC and re-installed windows. Also without sucess. I desperate looking for a solution. Help.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Is your panny plasma a 1024x768 native resolution? Does it have a VGA input? If so give VGA a try. Some TVs do not support anything but standard resolutions (like 1280 x720) over HDMI and your pictures show that your resolution is 1024x768. My 42 in sammy plasma gives a great picture and 1:1 pixel mapping from a wimpy old 9600SE via VGA.

What model is your panny?

BB

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You right, the correct resolution is 1280x720, i just took the screenshot before changing the res. But it still didnt worked. I've been using this connection for a couple months now, and thats what makes me mad about it. It stoped working when formated my pc.

My panny model is TH-42PV70LB

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
All you need to do is select the 480i @ 30 FPS, 480p @ 60 FPS, 720p @ 60 FPS and 1080i @ 30 FPS check boxes in the CCC screen shots above. Hit apply(It is critical that you hit apply. It won't stick if you don't do that). Then just reboot "IN SAFE MODE" and then select 1280x720 hit apply and reboot again.

I have had this problem many times. The problem is that when you reinstall CCC drivers it does not turn on the HDTV resolutions by default. You have to enable all of the supported resolutions for your TV in the screen shown above. You probably have the resolution set to one of the "currently" unsupported resolutions. Just do the instructions above and it will work.

You can also hook a monitor up in parallel with the TV and that will allow you to do the instructions above instead of booting into safe mode. A third option is to boot with the s-video cable plugged in and do the instructions above.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Goggle search shows it to be a 1024x768 native resolution plasma with a VGA input. You might find the picture quality to be better plus get 1:1 pixel mapping if you use the VGA connection and set your desktop resolution to 1024x768. No overscan and the computer desktop text will be crystal clear (no scaling or overscan).

Give it a try.

BB

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tried it all without sucess, im starting to worry that the problem might be hardware related, maybe my cable broke, or my tv hdmi port burned down.

Btw, im starting to consider the VGA route, the problem is, i need a LONG, long cable. My current HDMI cable is about 10 meters (or 30 feet). Will i have problems with a that long VGA cable? I heard those cables are analogic, and noise can be a huge problem in that equation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, today i bought a brand new HDMI cable to test connecting my xbox 360 on my plasma TV. No luck. Black Screen.

Im starting to think that the problem is on my TV that somehow got both HDMI inputs damaged. Or i'm extremaly unluck with two defective cables.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
This thread any help? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=832857

Especially the posts re startup order and what resolutions are supported by your display via HDMI

HDMI should be fine for much further than 30ft, if it works. VGA should also be good for 30 ft. VGA is analog and the longer the run the crappier the picture. Digital signals over HDMI either work or not with no degradation.

BB

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem is, not even my xbox 360 is working with HDMI. Im suspecting my plasma HDMI inputs are damaged. Luckly is still on warranty. But im still not sure if its the case. Send that elephant to repair center and find out it was not the problem sucks. Anyone recommend any test to narrow down the problem?

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts