AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to make the switch from Tivo to ReplayTV, but no one is answering the phone when I call SB. I dialed 877-REPLAYTV and also the customer support number. Either I get a message saying to check the number I dialed, a busy signal, or else I am put on hold for 45 minutes then eventually hung up on before anyone picks up.

Is the company still around? Is there a problem with their phones? Holiday related issues? Any answers would help.

Thanks.

Justin

·
Registered
57 Posts
SonicBlue has moved their tech support to India.

My company sends alot of programming work to India, they are smart, efficient, speak pretty good english, and cheap.

The problem is the infurstructure is not up to par, and their phone system can not handle a huge influx of traffic.

The company we use has 83 programmers sharing a single ISDN line, and they were luckcy to get that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. does this include the SB store though? i am trying to buy a 5080. I would do it over the internet, but they only have the 5040 listed.

Justin

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think the important point here is that this person is trying to BUY something from SB and they won 't even answer the phone!!!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vegan
I would do it over the internet, but they only have the 5040 listed.
The 5080 is listed for sale here .

-Gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm, i clicked on that link and only see 4500 series units.

i am pretty sure SB does sell the 5080 direct, because when i called last week (and got someone on the phone in under 2 minutes) they told me that they sold them, but that amazon.com was cheaper.

amazon.com had the unit last week for $379, but if you go to the site now it says that the 5080 is not released yet.

is there a strange conspiracy against me? is this a sign that i should stick with tivo?

justin

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
hmmm, i clicked on that link and only see 4500 series units.
I see a 5040 at the top of that page and a 5080 at the bottom. There are 4500 series units in between. But then again maybe it is a sign....:)

-Gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nope, i checked again... i even refreshed the page. in order i see 4504, 4508, 4516, 4532.

Tivo must really want me back!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i take it back! damn aol browser. i used IE and after refreshing twice, it appeared. thanks for the help l8er. although the fact that no one answers the phone is disturbing.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
although the fact that no one answers the phone is disturbing.
I agree.

-Gary

·
Registered
841 Posts
Over the last weekend, my wife bought a 5080 at the local GoodGuys store. :D She likes it. Not a surprise to me. In retaliation, I ordered a 5080 from the GoodGuys web site to save the sales tax ( no shipping charge either). And now in todays paper, GoodGuys is saying no sales tax in their retail stores for the next three days.

I also ordered some D-Link wireless networking gear as it would be difficult running CAT-5 from the "office" where our broadband home network is to the rooms where the 5080's are ( will be ). I'll be trying out the D-Link AirPlus 22 Mbps stuff.

I think I'll be putting the old ShowStopper in the "office".

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crunchy Doodle
And now in todays paper, GoodGuys is saying no sales tax in their retail stores for the next three days.
Are they simply paying that tax for you, or not charging it? I think in either case, it's pretty well not permitted by law. I'm trying to remember the exact quote from my incorporation papers, but something to the effect of "evading, not collecting, providing for the customer, etc., the taxation of goods or services is not permitted"

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes, the fine print on the GoodGuys ad says they will discount the items such, that the price you pay is numerically what the items would add up to with no sales tax added.

You knew that . . . . . . . . :D

Bye. :cool:

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I'd rather get 50% off and pay the tax :D:D:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
People get crazy when they think are not paying sales tax, and some how getting over on uncle sam.

We have this thing here in Florida right before school starts where the is no sales tax on clothing items. and the malls are PACKED!

They did not do it this year, so instead all the retailers had their own version of tax amnesty and had some real good sales 30% to 40% off...

...and nobody cared.

6.5% off clothes and its like black friday.

30% off everything malls like a ghost town.

Go figure....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.