AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1271 that I've been using for a few years, but I've never quite been able to get the focus right. On any of the guns, I can get the focus in the middle sharp and either the top or bottom of the screen sharp, but never the whole thing. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting the top and bottom half of the screen sharp at the same time?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
with my 1271q i backed the factory gain settings down which helped alot , especially on the blue...............

·
Registered
490 Posts
dumb question, but you know that there are two focus adjustments on the lenses, one for the center and one for the outside edges right?

The wingnut nearest the outside of the PJ loosens and allows the lens to turn to get the outside of the picture focused. The inner wingnut loosens and it moves to focus the inside of the picture...

·
Registered
448 Posts
this could also be caused by having the lens spacers not setup properly,

also the projector could have the 300 inch spacers in place and the lens

set for 100 inch>

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Is the projector set up at the correct angle?

If not, you need to modify your flapping.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've adjusted both focus rings. The outer ring is just for the corners and I have a similar problem there where I can get the top two corners or the bottom two in pretty good focus, but not all four. I've tried rotating the spacer on the green lens to see if it made a difference and it doesn't seem to. I've even tried putting thin cardboard shims in different places and that doesn't seem to help much either. It's not a horrible problem, but for a perfectionist, I'm just not happy.

How do you know which spacers are 300inch? Mine are marked R-2 REAR, G-2 REAR and B-2 REAR. I've tried rotating them to use the different holes, but that didn't make much difference. I've been using the center hole and that seems best. I'm using a 92x52 screen and used PJCalc to get my distance, then adjusted it a bit to make sure I was using the maximum amount of CRT area.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
448 Posts
the 300 inch spacers are not the plastic rings, they are the metal spacers

that are just behind the crt face.

where did you place the cardboard shims?

where you may need to shim is where the spacers are just behind the crts.

from what you are describing it may be the metal spacers are in upside down?

If it is a slight focus problem i would try shimming the crts. at the top and

bottom.

dave

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see, I seriously doubt this has 300inch spacers. I imagine that would cause some serious alignment problems, and mine are only subtle.

I tried putting two shims between the top two screws that hold the lens on and then the bottom two screws and that didn't seem to make much difference.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a great manual! This is going to take awhile, but I think it will help my problem.

Thanks!

- Brian

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Hey,

I used screws that were phillips head instead of allen key type. I already had a 15 inch long phillips screwdriver that I use to remove the lenses.

-Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.