AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a progressive DVD player (preferably one that can be made codefree/pal prog also) that is free of the following problems:

- image stutters, skips or jerks

- audio is cut off, dropped out randomly

- some discs freeze the player

- sometimes audio synch is lost

- somtimes audio is lost completely

(- severe image cropping up or left)

Personally I've seen/tried the following players (with latest firmwares) and they all fail the above test:

- Skyworth DVD-1050P (freeze, audio drop out)

- Denon DVD-2800 (audio drop out, jerky image, synch)

- Arcam FMJ DV-27 (audio drop out, audio lost, jerky image)

I've also read about similar problems with the following players in this forum:

- Philips Q50

- Panasonic RP-91

- Panasonic RP-56

- Kenwood sovereign line

-

I'm not even necessarily looking for *the* perfect de-interlacer anymore.

I just want a player that plays all discs as they should be: without skips, audio drop outs, etc. Those problems to me are much bigger breakers of illusion of disbelief than an occasional combing or almost totally invisible (to me) chroma bug.

Cheers,

Hal

PS If you think your Skyworth/Denon/Arcam is ok, try the following discs (with your eyes open :) and be prepared to be disappointed:

- Underworld DVD live

- Beastie Boys Anthology DVD

- Star Wars Phantom Menace

- Sexy Beast

They all produce all sorts of problems on the above players and they are by no means the only discs. The problem with diagnosing the players is that the faults almost never appear twice in the exact same spot, making analysis more difficult but also suggesting that it is not the fault of a badly mastered/pressed dvd disc...

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I like my Toshiba 6200 personally. It does do what appears to be some jerking once in a blue moon, but I think its due to the disk and not the player itself. I dont' know if its so much of what you would call a jerk, as it is a motion artifact.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Hal was actually at my place, checking out progressive scan players, and I have to agree with what he says. I'm most disappointed with the current state of affairs regarding prog scan.

However, I've just now finished watching the Superbit version of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon on the Arcam DV27, and the player performed absolutely flawlessly. No audio dropouts, no image freezes or jerks... and I suddenly realized that just about all my problems with various prog scan players have had something to do with region 2 PAL discs.

(One exception being Criterion's Beastie Boys anthology, which freezes the Skyworth up completely, but this has nothing to do with prog scan and all to do with Skyworth's firmware and power current problems.)

As we all know, both Sil and Sage chipsets have the prog scan PAL functionality in the hardware, even though the DVD group has forbidden its implementation. It now seems to me that because of this, manufacturers have neglected to do proper testing on their firmware's PAL portion, which results in aforementioned problems. Let's not forget that Denon needs a hacked firmware to enable prog scan PAL, and Arcam only enables the function after some twiddling with the remote control. Skyworth has given me best prog scan PAL so far and because of that it's a real shame that the player has its fair share of other problems.

So, no matter which way you look at it, we PAL users are up the proverbial creek with no paddle in sight.

cheers,

.-petri

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
My RP91 DOES have some combing problems (because of its Genesis deinterlacer) but I have never had the problems you list. If you talk about image cropping on the left with some TVs, you can at least shift the image over, which fixes some of the perceived cropping).

I have a ton of DVDs, but it is true I have not run all of them through it however. I have not purchased Phantom Menace, because I don't like the movie, but I'm told it plays well.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Which is why I have hesitated and gone with a plain interlaced player for now. Even though I am very interested in progressive or HDTV displays. My next display will be a minimum 42" diagonal HDTV type size. I would love to try a progressive player, but I'll just keep poking along with my interlaced for now. I wonder if by the time they get affordable bug-free progressive players to the market we'll be looking at a next generation of higher resolution DVD format?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would second chap's recommendation of the Toshiba 6200. I have often read about other players having the problems mentioned in the initial post and assumed that maybe I just got lucky with this player (or maybe it's luck combined with a not too critical eye), but I can't remember a time when any of those problems occured. I really like this player and have never wanted to upgrade.

Brian

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hal I have a full Sony CX-860 only when I get a bad disc do I have problems. I am a very satisfied customer ever since I purchased my fully integrated wide screen

HDTV. My images on my panny 32" TV are no match for the line doubled DTC-100. The color stream helps display something I have been dreaming about for at least 10 years, has come to stay and it's welcome.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The Japanese Pioneer DV-AX10 Mk. II, will do! The U.S version I'm unsure if it handles prog. PAL.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well I have a Skyworth and I live in a PAL country. I have watched maybe 30 movies, mostly rented, all except a couple were R4 PAL, and I have not had a glitch of any sort yet. Are you saying this is the exception rather than the norm?

My NR1 TSC version of The Rock will not play the movie from the normal 'play movie' icon AFTER the first time you use it. You have to start from chapter one in the scene selection area. I put this down to the disk.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thinking to buy the DV27 as an all round cd and dvd player - would you recommend it? How is it for

1. Picture

2. DVD sound

3. CD sound

Will link it with hi-end receiver (IntegraOnkyo 9.1/989) and plasma

(I also need prog. scan. PAL and NTSC - and ability to change the aspect ratio to get rid of the letterbox)

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
sacarmic,

I'm using progressive scan only.

sk123,

at the moment, I wouldn't buy the DV27 even if I got it for half the price. You can check out how the player performed in the Secrets' shoot-out, but it doesn't test the players for PAL prog scan.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Halcy,

I was intrigued by your Arcam DV27 observation because I haven't experienced any of the "Arcam FMJ DV-27 (audio drop out, audio lost, jerky image) " issues you mention.

The Arcam was fairly poor with regards to drop out prior to the 1.74 Firmware release but these issues have been resolved. Here in the UK we cannot get many of the Players discussed in the Secrets review and as the DV27 does excellent Audio, Image and Multiregion/PAL Progressive it is certainly in my mind the best unit in the UK under the $4k price bracket (its around $2200 here).

For reference I use it with a BarcoGraphics 808s, Rock+ and a 8ft screen. I have around 1600 DVDs.

Regards Neil.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Going back to what I said.

ALL of the problems pteittinen and I have witnessed with the aforementioned players are when viewing PAL discs in progressive mode.

Even the Arcam performs flawlessly in NTSC prog (pteittinen just checked "Crouching Tiger" on this with zero problems).

But pop in a PAL player, switch to progressive and see the problems unfold.

On all of the above players.

Neil,

BTW, how do I find out about the firmware in Arcam FMJ DV-27?

It could be that this is a problem that can be solved with a firmware update. At least hope springs eternal :)

As for the Denon, we have both totally given up on it. More than 6 months of updates and the player still does not work properly. Audio drop outs is the real killer on this one.

Skyworth on the other hand ALWAYS locks up with certain discs. It just isn't robust enough to handle some of the difficulty authored titles like the Beastie Boys Anthology DVD. Or then the QA on the unit is so bad that it is pure luck whether you get functioning player or not. Well, for the price I can hardly complain :)

I'm still waiting for the next player myself - whether that be Cinematrix PSM-2, Pioneer DV-747 or something completely different.

Cheers,

Halcyon

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I've just recently taken delivery of my region-free (plays PAL & NTSC discs) Camelot Roundtable. Paid the equivalent of about $2700 for it new out the box and it plays everything I've thrown at it flawlessly. I have it hooked up to a Lexicon MC-1, Rotel 1095, Sim2 HT200 DLP projector and B&W N804, HTM1 etc. Sound and picture are great on all my discs, be they NTSC or PAL coded.

My Camelot Roundtable has also been modified by Camelot to run on 220V, 50Hz power supply

·
Registered
76 Posts
"As for the Denon, we have both totally given up on it. More than 6 months of updates and the player still does not work properly. Audio drop outs is the real killer on this one."

I own the Denon, have for 6 months, and have gone through all 3 f/w upgrades. I have NEVER had the problem you are talking about. In fact, the audio is stellar, perfect in every fashion. However, I pretty much stick to the blockbusters as far as viewing material. All of my discs are Region 1, and I believe they are NTSC....just an assumption.

How can I test for the problems you are talking about? Is it possible for me to even get a PAL disc for testing? I'm very curious, as I would like to know about these problems if they do in fact exist in my player.

Jeremy

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Zulu
Well, I've just recently taken delivery of my region-free (plays PAL & NTSC discs) Camelot Roundtable. Paid the equivalent of about $2700 for it new out the box and it plays everything I've thrown at it flawlessly. I have it hooked up to a Lexicon MC-1, Rotel 1095, Sim2 HT200 DLP projector and B&W N804, HTM1 etc. Sound and picture are great on all my discs, be they NTSC or PAL coded.

My Camelot Roundtable has also been modified by Camelot to run on 220V, 50Hz power supply
Ouch, glad you got the coin. At that price it'd better be damn near perfect. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.