AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello,

I'm having trouble 5.1 from my laptop to my TV.

I'm having following:

- Laptop is HP ProBook 470 i7 that has HDMI port.

- TV is Samsung 46C7000

- AV Receiver Yamaha HTR5930

My TV is connected with Optical audio cable to AV receiver and I'm getting 5.1 from TV, when I play HD digital channels and files from USB stick (Dolby Digital from AC3 and DTS), usually from MKV files.

Now I have connected my laptop through HDMI to my TV (and TV has outside speakers set). I get sound but I only get PCM stereo and not 5.1 which is being played.

In my settings it only shows 2 channels.

I hope I have posted in correct forum, if not please forgive me. I'm new to this and I'm having trouble with audio. I hope you guys will be able to help me.

Thanks in advance for any help and advices!

Best regards,

Aldy

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
You should be able to check sounds when you go into "control panel" then "hardware and sounds" then "sound" in your computer.

The hdmi cable has to be connected usually before you go into these settings though. I find it helpful to plug the hdmi into the laptop before opening any media.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
The TV probably only supports 2-channel PCM coming from HDMI sources, which is exactly what your laptop is reporting. The negotiation for AV parameters is handled automatically (EDID), and many TVs will only output digital audio from their internal sources, not repeat audio from HDMI inputs, regardless.

Correct answer is to run all HDMI sources to your AVR and then to the TV, so that the AVR reports "better" capabilities than what the TV would support.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks both of you for your replies.

Jeff I can't connect to my AV since it doesn't support HDMI. But my TV should repeat audio since I've had Xbox 360 connected with my TV through HDMI and AV receiver always indicated it was on Dolby Digital. I didn't have my xbox connected to AV Receiver any other way than optical cable from my TV to AV receiver.

Thanks again for your replies.

Regards,

Aldy

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo967  /t/1509680/problem-getting-dd-and-dts-to-my-hdtv-through-laptop-hdmi#post_24160263

my TV should repeat audio since I've had Xbox 360 connected with my TV through HDMI and AV receiver always indicated it was on Dolby Digital. I didn't have my xbox connected to AV Receiver any other way than optical cable from my TV to AV receiver.

Ok, good - then you're into the settings like ifor suggested - you're probably going to have to force the laptop to output "bitstream" or Dolby Digital - since the TV reports 2-channel PCM. You may be forced to run a separate digital audio line from the laptop to the receiver if you can't override the EDID-supplied capabilities. If your laptop doesn't have a digital output, an external USB soundcard will probably be the cheapest fix.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Keep in mind that Dolby Digital doesn't automatically mean 7.1 surround sound. DD comes in mono to 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1 etc...

Your receiver could be seeing a 2 channel Dolby Digital signal.

It also might be time to look at upgrading your receiver to one that does do hdmi switching?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts